Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Compare Larkin and Abse's attitudes to death watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. I have studied 'Ambulances' by Larkin and 'In Llandough Hospital' by Abse. We have been given this topic to discuss on these two poems and I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas?

I've got about how Larkin and Abse both consider death to be inevitable, Larkin on life's brevity and the cycle of life. Both contrast life and death (children and dying adult). Is there anything else I can write about? Please help!

ReputationRep:
    I remember this from last year (but i've lost all my notes so you'll have to find the right quotes etc) :P

These are fairly easy to compare, note how Abse uses desperate adjectives with his father such as "clings" i think? He really does'nt want his father to go. As with abse when the peaople are worried for themselves and "their own distress" it shows how death can make us turn our thoughts to ourselves. He mentions being a child again as it has brought him back to being a child and how he is now an orphan.
    It mentions stars? so it suggests he belives in a heaven, whereas larkin says death is permanent.
    In ambulances, the closed like confessionals bit uses alliteration and emphasizes how the ambulance is distrupting the town scene. When you die you confess, so this is a nice image and the box of the ambulace could represent a coffin.
    I hope this helps, i'll probably remember more later haha

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 30, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.