Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

SMed's Texas Chainsaw Massacre Watch

ReputationRep:
    Might as well start a log here since I've come back from my long break. Haven't trained in about 3 months, so starting back light. I'm going to quickly run through some linear progression to get me back to where I was, then I'll probably jump on Texas Method.

Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 86kg

Lifts:

Squat - 150kg
    Bench - 90kg
    OHP - 50kg
    Power Clean & Jerk - 85 or 90kg (can't remember)
    Deadlift - 170kg

Oooh KAY!

Right, so I had my first mini-session in my new home gym.

Bench:

55kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    55kg x 5

Deadlift:

100kg x 5

Very easy, little bit of DOMs, but not too bad.

Then, I was back in my uni gym so had a bigger session. Not much structure here, just wanted to have some fun (haven't trained properly since June) and test the waters a bit. Have to say, I was pleasantly surprised.

Squat:

20kg x 10
    20kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    100kg x 5
    110kg x 1
    120kg x 1
    125kg x 1

OHP:

20kg x 10
    20kg x 5
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 3
    45kg x 2
    50kg x 1 (PR tie)
    52.5kg x 1 PR*

Chinups:

BW x 5
    BW+5kg x 3
    BW+10kg x 2
    BW+15kg x 1
    BW+20kg x 2 (PR tie)
    BW+10kg x 3
    BW+10kg x 3
    BW x 5
    BW x 5

Kroc Rows:

40kg x 15

Curls:

16kg x 7
    16kg x 6

Bodyweight = 88kg

Apart from the OHPs and chins, I left a lot in the tank for everything. I definitely had more in the squat, easily 130kg. I could've done a set of 5 at 120kg without too much trouble. I'd never done Kroc rows so I just wanted to try them. The uni gym only goes up to 40kg so I couldn't do more. Could've done another 10+ reps at 40kg easily, plenty of ROM. Grip sucked though, but not bad.

I can't believe my OHP seems completely un-phased. I must have modified my form somewhat which allowed me to press well considering. I've never strict pressed 52.5kg in my life, so to it after 3 months of not touching a bar really surprised me. The only thing I can think of is that doing loads of chins might have somehow benefited me more than I realise. And maybe I tweaked my form slightly. I always knew my form was ****, because my OHP was way off my bench. Bench was 90kg and OHP was 50kg.

ReputationRep:
    Squat:

20kg x 5
    20kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    100kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    100kg x 5

Bench:

20kg x 8
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 3
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 11

Deadlift:

60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 3
    110kg x 5
    120kg x 3
    130kg x 3

Bodyweight = 87kg

Great session today, feeling like I haven't lost any strength at all. Squats were fast sets, 1 minute rests.

Bench was fast and easy, felt like going to failure on the last set. Was almost to failure, but I probably had another 1-2 left.

Deadlift was piss easy. I wanted to do 110kg as my work set, but it felt like a warm up. So I just wanted to test things a bit and went up to 130kg doing triples, and honestly, it still felt like a warm up. Pretty much felt like speed pulls. My grip has improved from the chins, because I double-overhanded these easily, and that used to be a problem.

Things are going well.

ReputationRep:
    Nice, will keep tabs on this.

ReputationRep:
    Sub'd.

ReputationRep:
    QUuestion from a beginner: I am not really fit I just started getting into weight lifting as well as losing weight at the same time.I can only squat 15 KG 10 reps 3 cycles and I can't seem to do a full squat either.Do you think It would be better for me to focus on cardio and just do machines before the transition to free weights?
    Thanks .

Keeping watch of your progress btw.

ReputationRep:

Get those squats and deadlifts back up :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theconomist)
    QUuestion from a beginner: I am not really fit I just started getting into weight lifting as well as losing weight at the same time.I can only squat 15 KG 10 reps 3 cycles and I can't seem to do a full squat either.Do you think It would be better for me to focus on cardio and just do machines before the transition to free weights?
    Thanks .

No, you need to learn how to do a bodyweight squat properly before you do weighted ones. Then you need to add weight when the proper mobility and strength are there. Machines don't generally build that mobility. I doubt you have a strength deficit stopping you from squatting a 20kg bar. That's pretty much reserved for children, the very old and a few other exceptional cases.

ReputationRep:
    Those are some seriously good chin ups! I'm atrocious at them. I only weigh about 72kg and I struggle to get a single set of 8.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks .

If you can't get a full squat, that's a flexibility issue and not a strength issue (unless you're the size of a 6 year old). Work on your hamstring flexibility and getting into a squat position either unweighted or with just the bar, focusing on getting depth without rounding your back.

ReputationRep:
    Ill be reading

ReputationRep:
    Will be reading. You looking to head back to 200lbs and then maintain weight around there?

ReputationRep:
    Forgot to add previous PRs in first post.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Thanks .

Is it a balance thing? First few times I ever tried to squat [was only with low weight] I fell forward and nearly smashed my head on the wall. I put it down to really poor form and did bodyweight squats for a week or so [like 100 reps a day :L] and looked at some form videos. Now I rarely lose balance [again only with a light weight though]. Just a thought, could be wrong.

I shouldn't really be giving advice but there we go :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    If you can't get a full squat, that's a flexibility issue and not a strength issue (unless you're the size of a 6 year old). Work on your hamstring flexibility and getting into a squat position either unweighted or with just the bar, focusing on getting depth without rounding your back.
    Thanks.
    How do you think I should work on my flexibility?

ReputationRep:
    Nice. Will be watching.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.
    How do you think I should work on my flexibility?
    The 3rd world squat is a good way.
    http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1856085&cr
    Basically the bottom of a squat position.

The Squat RX series isn't too bad either. Look up the goblet squat as well.
    This is a reasonably long video but try and persevere
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...1301858251744#

ReputationRep:
    You're a similar height to me, similar lifts(for deadlift and ohp, way ahead for bench and squat though, and PC I think), so will be watching, specially now I can go to the gym!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    Will be reading. You looking to head back to 200lbs and then maintain weight around there?
    Eventually, but I need to do it much more carefully this time. For now, I want to get back to, or better, my previous lifts but at a my current bodyweight. I know a lot more about nutrition now then I did last year so hopefully I can do it better this time. My initial goal is to get to over 200lbs and under 15% bf.

I also made a goal of getting a 180kg squat by the end of this year, but with that 3 month hiatus, that's a lot of work to make up for. Maybe by Feb/March.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I also made a goal of getting a 180kg squat by the end of this year, but with that 3 month hiatus, that's a lot of work to make up for. Maybe by Feb/March.
    Race to a 180 squat? All our PBs are pretty similar (you've got 5kg on my squat and deadlift, same bench, I've not got a 1RM on the OHP but I've done 52.5 x5 so maybe got 5kg on you there).

Your chins are just so much better than mine though - I've done something like +15 x5 but that's at 70-72kg bodyweight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Race to a 180 squat? All our PBs are pretty similar (you've got 5kg on my squat and deadlift, same bench, I've not got a 1RM on the OHP but I've done 52.5 x5 so maybe got 5kg on you there).

Your chins are just so much better than mine though - I've done something like +15 x5 but that's at 70-72kg bodyweight.
    That'd be a pretty hollow victory on my part, seeing as I'd have 15-20kg bodyweight on you. :p: But ok.

I am SICK AS **** today. :puke:

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: January 17, 2014
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.