Turn on thread page Beta

Applicants per place ratio? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was curious what the applicants per place ratio is for the investment banks, specifically at the online application form stage. It would also be interesting to know what percentage of candiates get invited to a first round interview, to an assessment centre and get an offer, separately.

Any estimates out there from HR people? Someone has to know this stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I remember back when I was a 2nd year uni student (in the u.s., we study for 4 years for a bachelor's).....during my final round interview at Citi, an HR lady told us that over 1,000 students applied to their Sophomore Rotational Program, and there were only 30 positions to be filled. there were 60 finalists. that gives you an idea....and that's Citi (not GS/MS/etc.), also for a sophomore program (unusual in the u.s.)

ReputationRep:
    Jpm HR said that they get around 20,000 internship apps. This was at a q&a talk they gave.
    Also, this would've been just pre-Lehman, so I can only imagine that the ratio since then has gone up, especially with the increasing no. of Uni students each year.
    Quality applicants per place is a better measurement, but impossible to ascertain, therefore apps per place (which will include a decent proportion of no-hopers) is the only measurement you really have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artistecmk)
    Jpm HR said that they get around 20,000 internship apps. This was at a q&a talk they gave.
    Also, this would've been just pre-Lehman, so I can only imagine that the ratio since then has gone up, especially with the increasing no. of Uni students each year.
    Quality applicants per place is a better measurement, but impossible to ascertain, therefore apps per place (which will include a decent proportion of no-hopers) is the only measurement you really have.

I would say down, due to Lehmans collapse, and the bad press.

ReputationRep:
    According to Highfliers it's currently at roughly 75 applicants per place.

ReputationRep:
    HR at my intern BB told us 50 per place for summer interns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DerPumuckl)
    HR at my intern BB told us 50 per place for summer interns.
    Yeh but if each of those applicants applies to 5 firms, then really speaking it's 10 per place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nimiza)
    Yeh but if each of those applicants applies to 5 firms, then really speaking it's 10 per place.
    No it's not, that would just make it 250 applications over 5 firms instead of 50 applications to one firm (per place at each firm)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nimiza)
    If our application constraint in the city is g(x) <= 50, then you are right because you could argue those 50 people will distribute themselves across the city and others (of the 50) will take up places left open. But as pointed out, it is more likely that there is no binding restriction on # of applications. Hope that made some sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron89)
    No it's not, that would just make it 250 applications over 5 firms instead of 50 applications to one firm (per place at each firm)
    Yes 250 applications over 5 firms, but 50 applicants for 5 places i.e. 10 applicants per place, which was Nimiza's point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince of Zamunda)
    Yes 250 applications over 5 firms, but 50 applicants for 5 places i.e. 10 applicants per place, which was Nimiza's point.
    True, brain fail from me there

ReputationRep:
    100 applications for every 1 analyst spot. This was 2010 rough figure in one IB (lumping back-middle-front office applications together)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DerPumuckl)
    If our application constraint in the city is g(x) <= 50, then you are right because you could argue those 50 people will distribute themselves across the city and others (of the 50) will take up places left open. But as pointed out, it is more likely that there is no binding restriction on # of applications. Hope that made some sense.
    Irrelevant. I'm not trying to accurately model the number of applicants per place. The point I'm making is a simple statistic such as x number of applications per place at bank y is artificially inflated by individual applicants sending off applications to more than one bank.

ReputationRep:
    I get your point now dude. I didnt see that you were referring to applicants.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen everything from about 1 in 50 to 1 in 500. If we take a standard of about 1 in 75-100, I'd say our cut-down rate was about:
    30 out of 100 for tests
    20 out of 30 for 1st round
    8 out of 20 for assessment centre
    1-2 out of 8 for the job.

GR
    gradrecruiter.blogspot.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by graduate_recruiter)
    I've seen everything from about 1 in 50 to 1 in 500. If we take a standard of about 1 in 75-100, I'd say our cut-down rate was about:
    30 out of 100 for tests
    20 out of 30 for 1st round
    8 out of 20 for assessment centre
    1-2 out of 8 for the job.

GR
    gradrecruiter.blogspot.com
    Any idea of the typical standard deviation for the tests?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.