i'm on a gap year and bored already... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Subs. Same it's awful.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Chocothunder)
    The only downside to this is that you come home smelling of piss and old people. :yep:

The only response to that being take a shower.

ReputationRep:

What does it say about my self-determination that I spent my entire gap yah on the dole, watching old episodes of Dale's Supermarket Sweep? :rofl:
    You Sir, have lived the life I aspire to to have :top2:

How did you explain that to Bristol?

"On my gap year I will be spending copious amounts of time watching 'Dale's Supermarket Sweep' and sleeping?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    You Sir, have lived the life I aspire to to have :top2:

How did you explain that to Bristol?

"On my gap year I will be spending copious amounts of time watching 'Dale's Supermarket Sweep' and sleeping?"
    :five: It has indeed been a truly unforgettable year.

And yeeeeah, I just didn't mention it at all to Bristol... :ninja: I figured it wouldn't look too good on a personal statement, so instead decided to talk about books that I hadn't read...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    All I can say is you get out what you put in, I have applied to 25 different companies for each job I want because I know I will get many rejections, but if you hear no reply you need to keep pestering

ReputationRep:
    :five: It has indeed been a truly unforgettable year.

And yeeeeah, I just didn't mention it at all to Bristol... :ninja: I figured it wouldn't look too good on a personal statement, so instead decided to talk about books that I hadn't read...
    Blagging your way into one of the county's best universities...

I think I just acquired a new hero.

ReputationRep:
    You could do more a-levels? Further qualifations? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    your gap year sahould be amazing, its the one time where you visit places that most 18 year old dont have the chance to go.

get a job or start an interesting hobby. you could do something like pottery. That seem abit gay but stuff like that is interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hali0112)
    Hey,

I am currently on a gap year. I didn't get any offers for my course last year and so will reapply this year. I am so bored already and its only september. all my friends are going to uni. I have applied for so many jobs but no such luck. I am arranging to do some volunteering but until I start that (the CRB has to come through) I have nothing to do. This boredom is absolutely killing me. Does anyone have any good suggestions to deal with boredom????????

Thanks x
    Come in guests. There are no boredom at all at the place where I live. Everything changes every day. Although sometimes not the best way we thought.
    But anyway we should be optimists. Today I finally finished the works at grandpa's grave, all the day at cemetry, just returned. Anyway the live goes on. I already know which flowers to place there at spring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_educated1)
    :rolleyes:

This is why you should do your homework before deciding on a gap-year for goodness sake.

Seriously, what are they teaching you at public school these days?

The whole purpose of a gap-year is to do something you enjoy with the spare time, do something that interests you. Find yourself in the process, prosper in the fact that education is on hold for a temporary period.

You have done the complete opposite. You planned on using the year for employment, knowing full well that an international recession has only just ended, the British economy facing huge set-backs as a result. You should have never agreed to take the full-year off until a viable opportunity was already secured.

You have failed miserably, and I have nothing but pity for you.

it was a forced gap year, she didnt choose not to get in to uni :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antifazian)
    Know the feeling! :p: I'm going to Australia in Feb for 6 months, but until then it's a very boring few months. It's crap as you get to that point where you've been so bored for so long you lose any motivation to do anything interesting, and then just keep getting more and more bored.

I have no suggestions other than what you're already doing, keep applying for jobs and do some volunteering to help pass the time.
    Same where in Oz are you going? And are you going to work over there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harpoon)
    Same where in Oz are you going? And are you going to work over there?
    I'm going to Brisbane, going to be working on cattle farms and all that kind of thing. How about you!?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to Brisbane, going to be working on cattle farms and all that kind of thing. How about you!?
    Nice, I love Brisbane and probably Brisbane to start with, then work for about 2/3 months and travel round. I don't know where to work though. Have you got your work sorted out already?

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean...I was so bored by the end of summer...I decided to go back to sixth form...big mistake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hali0112)
    Hey,

I am currently on a gap year. I didn't get any offers for my course last year and so will reapply this year. I am so bored already and its only september. all my friends are going to uni. I have applied for so many jobs but no such luck. I am arranging to do some volunteering but until I start that (the CRB has to come through) I have nothing to do. This boredom is absolutely killing me. Does anyone have any good suggestions to deal with boredom????????

Thanks x
    Mate you better get used to it, it's going to get a lot worse.

ReputationRep:
    Go to Tanzanah?

ReputationRep:
    Nice, I love Brisbane and probably Brisbane to start with, then work for about 2/3 months and travel round. I don't know where to work though. Have you got your work sorted out already?
    Sounds good Yeah i'm going through a company so they'll be organising it for me. Have you heard of Wwoofing? > http://www.wwoof.com.au/
    A few people have mentioned it to me, might be of interest to you as an idea for work you could do.

ReputationRep:
    I would say it's a good idea to start reading up on your courses, though the fact you've applied before suggests that you may know plenty already. Take up a new hobby/sports, go to the gym, reaaally go for it with your job search (this should keep you busy enough with the current job market...) and once you start your volunteering you'll have a set routine to work around. If you're volunteering a day or two a week you could try getting another placement alongside that, or even arranging some work experience? I'm in a similar situation so if you need any more advice just give me a shout.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good Yeah i'm going through a company so they'll be organising it for me. Have you heard of Wwoofing? > http://www.wwoof.com.au/
    A few people have mentioned it to me, might be of interest to you as an idea for work you could do.
    Ah cool thats pretty good. Cheers for that

You looking forward to it?

ReputationRep:
    Ah cool thats pretty good. Cheers for that

You looking forward to it?
    Yeah but also a bit nervous, plus i've failed to get a job here so far so it's looking like i'll be pretty skint when I arrive haha. You looking forward to it too?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.