Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hali0112)
    Hey,

I am currently on a gap year. I didn't get any offers for my course last year and so will reapply this year. I am so bored already and its only september. all my friends are going to uni. I have applied for so many jobs but no such luck. I am arranging to do some volunteering but until I start that (the CRB has to come through) I have nothing to do. This boredom is absolutely killing me. Does anyone have any good suggestions to deal with boredom????????

Thanks x
    Get into Mountain Biking. That's the best advice I can give. :/ Once you start though, you wont be dissapointed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antifazian)
    Yeah but also a bit nervous, plus i've failed to get a job here so far so it's looking like i'll be pretty skint when I arrive haha. You looking forward to it too?
    Ah, you'll be fine I'm guessing your going by yourself. And ah right, well keep trying and you should get one

Yeah, this will be my second time over there and I can't wait So much that I want to do! I do need money though, I haven't booked my flights or anything yet.

ReputationRep:
    I most of my gap year chilling & got 2 med offers. They didnt even ask me about my gap year during the interview :0..lol. Maybe I'm just lucky...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harpoon)
    Ah, you'll be fine I'm guessing your going by yourself. And ah right, well keep trying and you should get one

Yeah, this will be my second time over there and I can't wait So much that I want to do! I do need money though, I haven't booked my flights or anything yet.
    Oo lucky you, second time! Hope you manage to fit everything in that you want to do, looks like there's sooo much fun stuff out there :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Hey I feel as though the summer holidays have been a gap year.. I seriously don't know why anybody would CHOOSE to be out of ed for any longer than the 4 months we already get!

But on a serious note- gap years have to MEAN something. Telling potential employers that you took a gap year but did nothing isn't going to impress, is it. Try to travel, or at least get a job so that you can say you did it to save up for uni. You will be glad of the extra few grand when everyone else is in thousands worth of debt!

ReputationRep:
    Work, Clubbing, Girl, Sex, Work, Work , Work, Holiday , Girls, Sex.

ReputationRep:
    Oo lucky you, second time! Hope you manage to fit everything in that you want to do, looks like there's sooo much fun stuff out there :yep:
    Thank you! And yeah, Great Barrier Reef, Ayers Rock and Melbourne are the places I really want to go this time.

What are your plans at the minute?

ReputationRep:
    Keep looking for jobs, don't give up!!

Extra money is always good. Whether it is for travelling/uni/massive shopping trips.

I am just coming to the end of my gap year (in one week :sad: (can't believe it is over!)) And have worked the entire time. (14 months in total) and i can safely say, i have not been bored once. Had i not got a job i don't think i would have lasted a week, let alone a year with the boredom it entailed!

I have met some amazing people, and i have learnt so much from it.

Keep looking, and you will find that perfect job, like i did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harpoon)
    Thank you! And yeah, Great Barrier Reef, Ayers Rock and Melbourne are the places I really want to go this time.

What are your plans at the minute?
    Ah i'm jealous sounds amazing Planning to work for most of the time then have a few weeks at the end to do all the fun stuff, not sure exactly what yet though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlotte_joy)
    Keep looking for jobs, don't give up!!

Extra money is always good. Whether it is for travelling/uni/massive shopping trips.

I am just coming to the end of my gap year (in one week :sad: (can't believe it is over!)) And have worked the entire time. (14 months in total) and i can safely say, i have not been bored once. Had i not got a job i don't think i would have lasted a week, let alone a year with the boredom it entailed!

I have met some amazing people, and i have learnt so much from it.

Keep looking, and you will find that perfect job, like i did
    What did you work as?

ReputationRep:
    Have you chundered everywhere yet OP?

ReputationRep:
    OFFICE US is :sogood:

Season 7 opening FTW

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    What did you work as?
    I worked (well, work until Thursday :p: ) in an independent coffee shop. Not just serving coffee though :p: , also cooking, waitressing, washing up, preparing baguettes/sandwiches, everything!
    I absolutely love it there! I couldn't have asked for a nicer boss, nicer people to work with. And job suits me perfectly. I'm going to be so sad to leave next week

ReputationRep:
    OP, I'm in the same position!

I'm learning to drive, retaking modules, travelling to Cairo soon woop, and will try do some volunteering after January.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocothunder)
    You joke about this, but my gap yah has just come to an end... and let's just say I'm going to miss all the 'free time'...

The only downside to this is that you come home smelling of piss and old people. :yep:

What does it say about my self-determination that I spent my entire gap yah on the dole, watching old episodes of Dale's Supermarket Sweep? :rofl:

My advice to you would be to sleep as much as possible. That way, it feels like less time has passed, and therefore you live under the illusion that you're not wasting as large a chunk of your life as you actually are. :yep:
    Lol I signed on this week- no replies for any jobs yet, but at least becoming amazing at the new pro evo/F1 games means my gap year should be slightly productive.

ReputationRep:
    treat nights - pizza and wine etc
    daytime - recipes - videogames - sport maybe

ReputationRep:
    Ah i'm jealous sounds amazing Planning to work for most of the time then have a few weeks at the end to do all the fun stuff, not sure exactly what yet though!
    I know
    And thats pretty good, you might need more than a few weeks though :P
    I went for 6 weeks last time with 4 weeks in Brisbane and I still didn't get to do everything!

ReputationRep:
    Speaking from experience (the exact thing happened to me last year)
    I was so bored and got quite depressed by this. My recommendation would be to get out of the country as soon as possible, somewhere like Aussie where there are lots of jobs.

For some reason it was so much more bearable. If you stay in this phase it will only get worse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlotte_joy)
    I worked (well, work until Thursday :p: ) in an independent coffee shop. Not just serving coffee though :p: , also cooking, waitressing, washing up, preparing baguettes/sandwiches, everything!
    I absolutely love it there! I couldn't have asked for a nicer boss, nicer people to work with. And job suits me perfectly. I'm going to be so sad to leave next week
    sounds really interesting. how did you find your job? I don't really know where to look. I've been looking on the jobcentre website and local shopping centre websites for jobs. thats all really.

ReputationRep:
    Don't spend it 'chilling', either. I can't imagine how people spend a year doing absolutely nothing!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.