Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I received the bill for my tuition fees the other day and it says they're due on the 15th October. However, I've received my payment and entitlement schedule from SLC and it says they'll pay me £1645 in February and the remainder in May from my tuition loan.

With this in mind, I'm now really confused as to how I go about paying my fees? Does everyone's student finance work this way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    Okay, so I received the bill for my tuition fees the other day and it says they're due on the 15th October. However, I've received my payment and entitlement schedule from SLC and it says they'll pay me £1645 in February and the remainder in May from my tuition loan.

With this in mind, I'm now really confused as to how I go about paying my fees? Does everyone's student finance work this way?
    I got mine all up front. Most unis will accept payment in stages though, both for accommodation and tuition, even though tuition is normally paid up front.

That said, this sounds kind of odd - I would have expected the first half of the payment now, and the second half in Feb - not half in Feb and half in May. I would contact your uni and ask if this payment schedule is ok, and if it is then great. If not, ask what they need then get in contact with student finance and ask them to sort it out.

ReputationRep:
    It's my understanding that if you don't take out a loan you have to pay them by 15th Oct. Otherwise, they're paid by the SLC directly to the uni according to that payment schedule. Mine has the same dates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
    It's my understanding that if you don't take out a loan you have to pay them by 15th Oct. Otherwise, they're paid by the SLC directly to the uni according to that payment schedule. Mine has the same dates.
    Ohhh I see. I might check that with them then and ensure they know I've taken out a loan. Because there was originally a massive mess up with my finance until last week.

ReputationRep:

If you're getting money from the SLC then surely they're paying your fees? The money goes straight to them from the uni, I think. I had an email a couple of weeks ago asking about my tuition fees as apparently I wasn't on the system they use to check if you're registered with student finance or whatever. I emailed them back letting them know I had received my letter saying it would all be paid by student finance and that perhaps I wasn't on their system as I'm from Northern Ireland and our student finance is separate from England's. I notice your flag is Italy's, perhaps you're in a similar situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eric Arthur)
    If you're getting money from the SLC then surely they're paying your fees? The money goes straight to them from the uni, I think. I had an email a couple of weeks ago asking about my tuition fees as apparently I wasn't on the system they use to check if you're registered with student finance or whatever. I emailed them back letting them know I had received my letter saying it would all be paid by student finance and that perhaps I wasn't on their system as I'm from Northern Ireland and our student finance is separate from England's. I notice your flag is Italy's, perhaps you're in a similar situation?
    I'm from the UK I'm just part Italian.

ReputationRep:
    I'm from the UK I'm just part Italian.
    Ah.

It's probably just the mess up with the student finance then! Email them back and offer to send proof if they need it.

ReputationRep:
    It says in the handbook that fees must be paid on that date unless you're getting support from Student Finance. I had the same worry but it's fine, it's all sorted out by them.

Yeah, so basically what AnonymousPenguin said!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Dayxn2)
    It says in the handbook that fees must be paid on that date unless you're getting support from Student Finance. I had the same worry but it's fine, it's all sorted out by them.

Yeah, so basically what AnonymousPenguin said!
    You read the handbook? Hardcore.

Make sure you speak to your college's bursar/accounts department to let them know the situation as soon as possible; I was caught in the backlog SF experienced last year, so didn't receive a loan for the whole of first term. Although I'd alerted my college and the university on enrolment that I was registered to receive support, come Hilary I received a rather unexpected bill for around £7000- one term's accommodation + double tuition fees... needless to say all bills since have been somewhat underwhelming! :p:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.