Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What irks me about hairdressers: watch

ReputationRep:
    Hairdressers are often like that with me. They insist that it needs to be shorter than I want it. Part of me wants to scream "I'd prefer some residual split ends to having hair 3 inches shorter than I want it!". I figure that I'm not paying them to be a soulful artist, I'm paying them for some client-directed scissor time. Get it right.

Hence why I rarely go for haircuts and always end up with something I don't like. Weirdly, if I ever ask something that actually taxes them a bit, I get told that "it won't work". Sorry, what? All I want is a sweeping fringe and I have enough hair, honest.

That said, I cut my boyfriend's hair and always do it how I like it. Heh, he's getting a free haircut. If he was bothered he could pay a professional.

ReputationRep:
    I went to the hairdressers a few weeks ago. I went on for the full session whilst he wsa straightening it out that I had been growing it for years and it took forever so I wanted to keep the length. When it came to cutting he took my hair betwene his fingers and the comb, when they usually keep gong to the end, stopped 2 and a half inches before the end and just snipped. I actually gasped and he looked at me in horror and was like 'O, it's for the condition!' I was moritifed and very, very unhappy. It is now going to take foreverrrr to grow it back ¬_¬

I feel your pain OP!

ReputationRep:
    yep, only worse. all i wanted was a trim (it used to be mid back) now i've got a ******* bob.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solusoracle)
    I hate that hairdressers feel the need to have a conversation with you whilst cutting.
    Quite.

Although an awkward silence can be just as bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachz)
    I dislike how you find my misfortune amusing

Although, I have blonde hair so its more like that kid from Home Alone.

Awww-don't take it like that! Having said that-Kevin/Macaulay is a lot better looking as a child than Harry/Dan! How old were you when this happened?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EcstaticMuse)

Anyone have any other hairdressing disaster stories?
    I went to one hairdresser who ruined my layers and gave me a really short fringe. I'd been growing out my fringe for about two years, and back to square one because the hairdresser didn't know what a trim was. So angry! And right before graduation too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    I never go to the hairdressers, so I don't have any personal experiences. However, there's a hair forum I regularly go on, and the women are forever telling stories of scissor-happy stylists. Seems to be an interesting trend there :beard:
    Which forum is this?

ReputationRep:
    yes hairdressers piss me off so much. got a haircut yesterday just b4 uni restarts and was lookin 4ward to havin a good haircut when i saw everyone again. but the stupid ***** cut off about 2 inches more than i wanted and now i look like a mong! i have a non existent fringe now. so pissed off..

ReputationRep:
    I hate how a lot of hairdressers actually have horribly dyed/styled hair, yet expect you to trust them when they advise you on how to have your hair done :facepalm: It's like a dentist having bad teeth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linweth)
    Which forum is this?
    It's a Black hair forum: http://longhaircareforum.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I have found the best hairdresser ever who can actually cope with my curly hair, and when she changed salons I went with her
    Oh but they're so hard to find aren't they? In my lifetime my mother and I have found two, the first got kicked out of town because he owed someone for drugs. The second is far more sensible thank goodness but in between the first guy and this one, neither of us had our hair cut for about 5 months.

Straight male hairdressers are a godsend. They know what they're doing.

But they have no idea how to dry and style my hair, I always go home with wet hair and style it myself.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently pissed at my hairdresser because she recently did my hair that was nothing like what I asked for at all; both colour and cut (damn them never being satisfied to just trim hair) :rolleyes:

What's annoying with her generally is that she always asks me if I like it whilst she is doing it, but doesn't seem to realise that when I'm not wearing my glasses I can't see...which is why I wear glasses. If only I could see, I wouldn't have bleached prostitute highlights right now

ReputationRep:
    Lol I've just had all my hair cut off at the hairdressers :eek:

I did want that to happen though :p:

ReputationRep:
    I asked for red tints in my hair and a sweeping fringe; I left with plum coloured hair and a full fringe.

I didn't go back there again. :no:

ReputationRep:
    I had my hair cut a month ago and because I had a wet cut the hairdresser asked me if I wanted my hair blow-dried and straigtened or diffuser dried (I had no idea what that was) and curly. My hair is naturally VERY curly so she obviously noticed the curls bouncing up when she was cutting my hair. She kept saying I should ge it diffuse dried curly because she "loves my curls" but I ALWAYS straighten my hair and my hair is really frizzy when it's curly.

She persisted for curly hair and I gave in despite my reservations. Yes, my hair frizzed up like a monstrosity and I had to walk all the way home that day, by the main road, looking like a poodle died on my head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solusoracle)
    I hate that hairdressers feel the need to have a conversation with you whilst cutting.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    a LOT of bad experiences as I have to go every two months so lot of chances for them to **** about......but the last time I went (3 weeks ago?) I told him exactly what length I wanted them and still he went mental with the machine and left me almost bald .....

ReputationRep:
    When I tell them that I like my fringe long, starting at the left and sweeping over to the right, and show them exactly what length I'd like it to be, they then go onto cutting only half of my fringe so my fringe kind of starts just above my right eye :erm: and then when she was blow drying it, she did some sort of mad curling thing so I came out looking like my grandma!

ReputationRep:
    I had the opposite thing, I wanted my hair rather short and my hairdresser was adamant on not cutting loads off! I didn't mind though, because I discovered that it was a wise choice!

I don't get why so many people don't like the hairdressers chatting to them. I find it more pleasant if they're friendly. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all of the posts, guys! Needless to say, I won't be going back there. I've been at that salon for years now but my hairdresser got pregnant and became a nurse so she isn't cutting hair anymore. I got switched over to her aunt who committed this act of artful expression with my hair.

I know it will grow back and all but I have a school dance coming up and was excited to get it put into a nice, elegant up-do which is now pretty much impossible considering the length right now. *sigh*

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.