Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is the China one child policy a success or failure? watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11404623

So what do you guys think? Do you think its a way to stop the populaton increasing? And is it evil?

Opinions? Experiences?

ReputationRep:
    Its a great success and is stopping long term poverty in China.

It should be law in a lot of Africa right now.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a failure.
    The sex imbalance between young men and women is probably going to become a major problem, as is the imbalance of young and old.
    Besides, it's just a little bit immoral for the state to be telling people how many children they're allowed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idiot-Finder)
    Its a great success and is stopping long term poverty in China.

It should be law in a lot of Africa right now.
    That would be a pretty darn hard law to input into Africa lmao, I doubt it'd work

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's evil, and it's a good way to stop population growth. The methods that are used to stop women from having second children are less laudible, and also there is a problem with the generation of single children. The vast majority of them are male, who have been spoiled from the day they were born, and there are simply not enough women in China to be wives or girlfriends.
    I do think the one child policy is a drastic system, but it has worked. I think it should now be relaxed to two children.

ReputationRep:
    The sex imbalance is a huge problem for many chinese men.There is 4 men for every woman.Long term this is a disaster.The one child policy was supposedly only going to be adopted until 2015(I might be wrong).A good way to reduce the population would be provide lower standard of health care for the elderly and encourage contraception.

ReputationRep:
    Success. Imagine Chinas population level now if this didn't exist; there'd probably be a couple of billion more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susie-q2401)
    I don't think it's evil, and it's a good way to stop population growth. The methods that are used to stop women from having second children are less laudible, and also there is a problem with the generation of single children. The vast majority of them are male, who have been spoiled from the day they were born, and there are simply not enough women in China to be wives or girlfriends.
    I do think the one child policy is a drastic system, but it has worked. I think it should now be relaxed to two children.
    If my memory serves me right, it is being relaxed now, the 2nd generation of children who are only childs, if they marry with each other can have two children. Also there are exceptions with certain farmers to have another child if the first one is a girl for hard manual work. Also having a second child isn't criminal, merely very difficult since you loss a lot of benefits etc. But yeah its pretty drastic and its a good thing my parents moved to HK or id be in trouble (2nd child you see =P)

ReputationRep:
    Goodness knows how many children killed because they weren't the firstborn = failure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Berkz)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11404623

So what do you guys think? Do you think its a way to stop the populaton increasing? And is it evil?

Opinions? Experiences?
    ''The debate over whether the one-child policy is still needed was recently stirred up by a newspaper report about the little publicised case of Yicheng county, in the northern province of Shanxi.

Yicheng has been experimenting with a two-child policy for 25 years, said The Southern Weekend, a liberal newspaper based in the southern city of Guangzhou, close to Hong Kong.

Despite its more relaxed regulations, the county has a lower than average population growth rate, the report said.

After three decades, the drawbacks of the one-child policy are more and more apparent.''

This.
    A failure.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say failure for many reasons, but also because the ban unofficially doesn't apply if you pay a fine/bribe corrupt officials which is relatively easy. Many of my friends from china have siblings.

ReputationRep:
    For keeping down population growth it has been a success. In social terms it has been a failure.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it has kept the population number down, and in that respect it's a success. And in theory it's a good idea. But as tefhel said, in social terms it's not been a success.

ReputationRep:
    How long has it been going for? I think it sounds good, but shouldn't be permanent or worldwide.

ReputationRep:
    Both.
    Less poverty, better environment, more space.
    Sex ratio is imbalanced so can cause higher crime rates, increased competition in employment because of the fact children have a lack of siblings and can become 'spoilt', abuse towards some women.

ReputationRep:
    a success in keeping the birth rate low, so the population stable.
    a failure for actually making many people follow it (lots of traffiking there etc.)

i understand the gender imbalance as in china people focus on how boys can do more hard labour than girls and therefore earn more. however this should be less the case as china's economy is becoming stronger and families wealthier and so it needn't matter about having a girl over a boy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarsi)
    Both.
    Less poverty, better environment, more space.
    Sex ratio is imbalanced so can cause higher crime rates, increased competition in employment because of the fact children have a lack of siblings and can become 'spoilt', abuse towards some women.
    Exactly this.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Blueflare)
    I think it's a failure.
    The sex imbalance between young men and women is probably going to become a major problem, as is the imbalance of young and old.
    Besides, it's just a little bit immoral for the state to be telling people how many children they're allowed...
    Well it is a dictatorship I doubt they care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sduong)
    I'd say failure for many reasons, but also because the ban unofficially doesn't apply if you pay a fine/bribe corrupt officials which is relatively easy. Many of my friends from china have siblings.
    It's not a bribe. It's just if you got the money you can pay to have another kid. That is what my uncle and auntie in China will do as well.

ReputationRep:
    There is a few bad things that came out of it, but they are minor.

Generally it was a success. If there was no one child policy how would China have been able to look after so many people???

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.