Turn on thread page Beta

Is there any music style you just can't stand? watch

ReputationRep:
    Grime...I can't stand most of it. Some of it is a bit catchy :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by el scorcho)
    black metal... it's the only kind of music I can't find any merit in at all.
    :teehee: Your sig made me laugh!

ReputationRep:
    Grindcore

ReputationRep:
    Jazz. It's awful.

ReputationRep:
    heavy metal and rock are a load of **** ... why would you damage your vrain by listening to that crap. all about RnB, Hip Hop a bitta blueees

ReputationRep:
    hip-hop/r'n'b/rap/grime/garage is the worst. closely followed by pop/pop-rock and then dubstep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    Jazz. It's awful.
    I second this.

(Original post by Bobifier)
    Jazz. It's awful.
    Agreed, I can't stand 95% of it. Drum brushes, saxophone and bashing random keys on a piano is just horrendous.

I'm not one for 1950s style rock 'n roll either - both the sound and the image put me off, with the exception of Elvis Presley. I can just about tolerate him, but even the revival stuff like Shakin' Stevens just isn't for me.

Hip Hop and modern day rap. Repetitive, monotonous garbage that encourages sexualisation and aggressiveness amongst the impressionable youth. "Classic" rap from the 1970s and 80s is fine because it didn't focus on guns n' *****es brap brap brap yo like the modern stuff does.

ReputationRep:
    Heavy Metal is diabolical. Screamo is my idea of hell.

ReputationRep:
    Jazz is a torture to the ears. But even Jazz cannot beat the pain listening to Heavy Metal/Death Metal inflicts upon the sensitive human ears. Seriously, I am amazed sometimes at people who like Metal and all its various sub-genres. It's like clanging some loud and annoying plates together in random, repeated patterns. What semblance it has with music, the day someone explains that to me, I shall consider my life complete.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    Oh. I seriously felt that screamo was disconcerting. That's far scarier than any horror film I've seen, music is expression and I just can understand why and how that man would create music like that, but it seems very very real. What on earth is he saying? What you said about him living in an asylum makes sense, it makes the music even more depressing though. I mean, sometimes when you hear/watch bands like that, you kinda think that it's a just a twisted form of art, but with this I get the impression that it's a way of life. I just really don't like it, it defeats the point of music to me. Why do you listen to it? Don't take that in an offensive way, I'm just genuinely interested. I know that if I listened to that, I'd feel pretty damn unhappy, how can you not be in a constant dark place when listening to it?
    I find that style of music to be far better at conveying emotion and a person's feelings than writing or other art forms.
    I listen to it partly out of morbid curiosity (originally anyway) and partly because it makes me a feel a certain way which other music doesn't. It's hard to explain, because it's not exactly a pleasant emotion and doesn't make me feel 'happy' as such, but I feel fulfilled and content (for want of better words) afterwards. Some of the black metal bands I listen to I like because I like the (usually dark) atmosphere. There aren't many black metal bands with excellent musicians like in virtually all of the other music I listen to - it's about the message and atmosphere of the songs.
    The first few times you listen to that style of black metal, sitting alone in a dark room is exactly what you feel like. I was terrified the first time I heard Silencer about 18-24 months ago. You really do have to be in the right mood for it, and I always have to be alone. It's not the same with someone else present.
    I have been known to produce music of a similar style and I find it to be a brilliant way of relieving stress and tension - just opening up in such a way that people can hear it, and hear your feelings, but perform the vocals in such a way that they will always remain personal to you as nobody can decipher them.

Below are the lyrics to the two songs I posted.
    Sterile Nails And Thunderbowels:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Vast Souls
    And Inhumans,
    Bitten By Infected Jaws

Abandoned Minds
    And Corpses
    Lurking With Moulded Eyes
    Lacerated Bodies
    Without Mourners
    Nodding In Gallows

Crushed Skulls
    Tasting The Fur
    Of Dying Cats

Needles, Injecting Pain
    Flamable Skin
    And Deadly Thirst
    Beyond Mind
    Is Sleep To Be Found
    Leap, Leap, Leap, Leap
    From Life,
    Leave Yourself,
    Die With Me

(tbh those lyrics aren't very good apart from the last three lines)

Transformalin:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Pull Out My Teeth
    Inhuman Grin
    Peel Of My Skin
    Break The Bones Beneath

Empty Me
    Disembowel Me
    Control Me
    Slash My Throat

Steal My Voice
    It Can Not Be Heard
    Remove My Eyes
    You Can Not Be Seen

Drill A Hole
    In My Skull
    Fill Me Up
    (and) I'm Sterile
    With A Stench Of Purity And Ethyl

Apply The Feet
    Forget The Pain
    On White Sheet
    Altered Mind

Let My Sleep, In Formalin
    Expose Me, Violent Me, Offend Me, Touch Me ...After I'm Dead ...Or ...
    Just Flush Me Down The Drain

Not Human And With A Pigface
    Put Me To Sleep

(I still find these quite creepy, because I know this guy is not joking about anything in here)

As you can see, the guy that writes these songs is a bit nuts. From what little I can gather he believes in a strange cult where humans must ascend to a higher being (i.e. animals), and a way of doing this is through surgery. I'm not sure how many others follow this cult, it could just be him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PapaShmurff)
    I love hip hop but hate screamo/heavy metal. Also hate pop music, can't remember the last time i heard something in the charts i liked. There will be plenty who are the opposite.
    FFS thats the 4th time in 2 pages someone has said "screamo/metal"

The two are completely different! Screamo is a type of emo music, metal is a completely different genre. Obviously ignorant people who just don't have good enough ears to distinguish between different types of music properly.

ReputationRep:
    This indie 'alternative rock' nonsense. Have fun being nonconformist while conforming.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing funnier than people scrambling to defend their irrational preferences is people scrambling to slate other people's irrational preferences.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    FFS thats the 4th time in 2 pages someone has said "screamo/metal"

The two are completely different! Screamo is a type of emo music, metal is a completely different genre. Obviously ignorant people who just don't have good enough ears to distinguish between different types of music properly.
    You have some amazing bands in your sig. Well done, sir.

ReputationRep:
    Teen-oriented commercial pop (which has somehow hijacked the moniker of R&B like some kind of body snatcher).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    You have some amazing bands in your sig. Well done, sir.
    why thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers)
    this type of thread is very snobby
    This is why we like it.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0llima)
    Agreed, I can't stand 95% of it. Drum brushes, saxophone and bashing random keys on a piano is just horrendous.

I'm not one for 1950s style rock 'n roll either - both the sound and the image put me off, with the exception of Elvis Presley. I can just about tolerate him, but even the revival stuff like Shakin' Stevens just isn't for me.

Hip Hop and modern day rap. Repetitive, monotonous garbage that encourages sexualisation and aggressiveness amongst the impressionable youth. "Classic" rap from the 1970s and 80s is fine because it didn't focus on guns n' *****es brap brap brap yo like the modern stuff does.
    One of the more original rappers. Insane, complex lyrics and kickass horns:

http://dft.ba/-8fg

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 20, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.