Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there any music style you just can't stand? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Rap and heavy metal.. *shakes head*

ReputationRep:
    X Factor style - songs in the mainstream dominated by X Factor

I hate most
    MAINSTREAM dubstep/drum n bass. Pendulum is ****.
    RnB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Any "remix" that just sounds like a helicopter starting up.
    Ray Keith - Chopper (Shy FX Remix)

The definition of what you just said

ReputationRep:
    I'll listen to anything except pop music. I like music when its an art form not a business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)

Mr. Bellamy here has got to be the worst culprit for this
    My heavens.. what did I I just read? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    you read the truth
    No, your opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shubham_ag)
    And may I request you to be kind enough to suggest me the music which shall help me in reversing my opinion on Heavy Metal?
    I'd venture Afraid To Shoot Strangers by Iron Maiden.
    Might not reverse your opinion, but it's still a good song.
    But hey, it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malkmus)
    Mohinder, Orchid, La Quiete, Raein etc.
    YES.

Raein are incredible. I love Envy as well, even the newer stuff. The split with Jesu is perfect winter-morning-music.

I don't really get why it's called screamo either, but I suppose the whole 'emo' tag has been *******ised from the start. The people who don't understand will always complain, but **** it, more music for us eh

As for me, I can't stand RnB, dubstep, "deathcore" (**** off!), most of the turgid mid-tempo **** metal that passes for 'hardcore' these days, any form of 'minimal' dance music, commercial pop, and any band that is just a massive cliché of whatever music style they are playing - this goes for genres I enjoy as well. To whoever said Hip-Hop was stupid, you really couldn't be further from the truth. I suggest you listen to Jehst, Immortal Technique, Asaviour, Taskforce, Jedi Mind Tricks... REAL Hip-Hop is poetry in its purest form, there's absolutely no posturing or posing involved (ok, maybe a bit, but we can all be tongue-in-cheek) - for some people harsh urban life is a reality. And it's not stupid or superficial at all. If you don't like the music then you don't like the music, but don't go insulting something you don't understand

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough
    I stand by it though, muse sound like Justin Bieber slowed down with a plane engine in the background
    Comparing Muse and Bieber? Oh no you didn't. Oh well , it remains your opinion. lol.
    I love Muse, my favourite band.

ReputationRep:
    Heavy Metal (too little melody*, and absolutely no soul. Plus the endemic themes of devils and the occult do nothing for me. It's pretty much the polar opposite of everything I love about music.)
    Reggae (the rules of the genre are too restricting, so every song/band sound the same. There's nothing new you can do with Reggae without it becoming a different genre)
    Christian Rock (if christian rock bands were any good, they'd appeal to non-christians too. Terrible music, cringe-worthy lyrics)
    House (just don't get it.... maybe I need more drugs?)

*No, rushing through pentatonics at 100mph is NOT a melody.

I like everything except country and rap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    Heavy Metal (too little melody*, and absolutely no soul. Plus the endemic themes of devils and the occult do nothing for me. It's pretty much the polar opposite of everything I love about music.)

*No, rushing through pentatonics at 100mph is NOT a melody.
    Maybe Yngwee Malmsteen, Children of Bodom, Diamond Head or Iron Maiden. (I'm not arguing with your point, just saying, there are metal bands out there with good use of melodies.)

But it might be time to debunk the fallacy that all Heavy Metal is based on Satanism or the occult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SayonaraSamm)
    Maybe Yngwee Malmsteen, Children of Bodom, Diamond Head or Iron Maiden. (I'm not arguing with your point, just saying, there are metal bands out there with good use of melodies.)

But it might be time to debunk the fallacy that all Heavy Metal is based on Satanism or the occult.
    I never said all heavy metal is about the occult, just that it is undeniably prevalent. Iron Maiden for starters don't do much to 'debunk the fallacy'...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    Christian Rock (if christian rock bands were any good, they'd appeal to non-christians too. Terrible music, cringe-worthy lyrics)

Clearly been listening to the wrong stuff. You need a bit of The Devil Wears Prada.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rawwwwr!)
    Clearly been listening to the wrong stuff. You need a bit of The Devil Wears Prada.
    I love mewithoutYou... who are a rock band who sing about their christian faith a lot (and even play christian rock festivals). Yet, because they're good musically and appeal to a wider audience, they're not termed as Christian Rock. So Christian Rock is obviously a way of categorising terrible bands by the lowest common denominator :p:

ReputationRep:
    Rock, METAL and pop.

ReputationRep:
    I can listen to everything and anything
    My favourite is metal by far, but then I also listen to dubstep, drum n bass, some rap, some screamo, types of rock... I'm not too keen on RnB but then I do like some songs. I can even listen to classical music.

ReputationRep:
    I am a massive metal head but can't abide most metal, purely because of its attitude, culture and imagery. It just sucks. Lets all be individual and think outside the box with our far out music, but we will all sit in the same corner of society together listening to the same bands with the same attitude and 10 year old t-shirts with the same ****ty hair cuts and the same cliché tattoos and make up our own little mainstream where we don't get rejected by societies winners. I dress "normally" in normal clothes with a normal hair cut but play in a black metal band and I talk with people at gigs and at college and stuff, who are into metal and they're full of hate and angst for everything, especially other genres of metal which is massive in keeping metal underground and divided. They're missing the point and so is everyone in this thread who is bashing on metal. Music like GOOD metal is full of soul, emotion and power which could of only been created with love and if you don't get that then you're just ignorant. If you're listening to metal about the occult and think it has no substance in the way of melody then you are definitely listening to the wrong kind of metal.

ReputationRep:
    All the screaming *******s. How you can listen to something so abrasive on the ears I don't know.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.