Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabregassed)
    whoops that didnt work
    What were you tryin to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gallium)
    get educated :O with hip-hop......before coming to that conclusion

look up the roots. lupe, nas, common, mos def and talib kweli and tell me there giving off a "badboy image"
    You're giving me Nas and et al? That just strengthens my point.

ReputationRep:
    exactly, I have no idea why people call stuff like screamo and slipknot metal let alone music... real metal is all about the technicality as well as the varying vocals, how can you say Rob Halford can't sing? Oh wait, you lot probably don't actually know who he is...
    Exactly. Artists like Halford and Dickinson have voices as powerful and inspiring as any opera singer (and I'm a big classical fan - I'll take some Wagner and Grieg any day). Listen to thrash and extreme metal and the playing is breath-takingly technical (I'd say if anyone doubts this they just listen to Mechanix and be blown away). It's a shame Nu-Metal is the most well-known genre to people today, when it's so far away from what metal should and can be.

ReputationRep:
    Dubstep and R&B. Anything else is fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    lol. If anything was to prove that your opinion is misinformed and idiotic that post was it.

You've rarely heard any R n' B song formed around those topics because you have probably only listened to at most 2 genuine R n' B songs.

Another dumb misinformed comment. Firstly its based around the dumb and idiotic view that electronic music doesn't have any value and secondly because it is wrong.

listen to these songs and genuinely tell me that they are not well crafted

O gosh. The typical pathetic middle class TSR rant. The whole "I'm so individual and unique unlike the rest of this generation of sheep" when in reality if you look through this thread you will find that your opinion is so generic and copy and paste that it is unreal
    I totally agree with everything you said :thumbsup:. The TSR music snobbery is unbelievable. I just laugh and shake my head at some of these arguments that arise from these sort of threads :lol:. It also amuses me how some of these people think they're so open minded, when really they're not :laugh: :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    I love heavy metal...and alternative rock...but i dislike R & B

ReputationRep:
    Dubstep, rap, R'n'B.

ReputationRep:
    Inb4 "I don't like hip-hop and country lol"

Eeeeurrrrghh... listen to some Digable Planets, listen to some Johnny Cash, then come back here and try to say that again. Hip-hop is arguably one of the most innovative, and often most thoughtful of all musical genres. To dismiss all of it because of Soulja Boy and 50 cent is as ridiculous as dismissing all rock music because you don't like crappy pop rock. Same applies to country music - it's not all some douche in a rhinestone suit crooning about Jesus and incest. To be honest pretty much all musical genres have some real merit to them, with talented musicians, even if a certain style isn't your favourite you can at least admit that.

Don't limit what you listen to by the genres you're used to. There's no point cutting yourself off from the wealth and diversity of music out there. Keep discovering.

ReputationRep:
    Err, drum and bass, heavy metal...

does everyone remember THIS...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTm0yFywr-A

i forgot how fit she was in this

ReputationRep:
    Techno/Dance ****.

Who ENJOYS listening to that rubbish? It just gives me a headache.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    You say falsetto, I say balls-in-a-vice.

I agree that the songwriting is incredible; it completely lacks any artistic credibility. I've rarely heard an R'n'B song where the subject matter is any deeper than some guy wanting to see a woman's 'booty' shake, or him crying like a ***** because his 'baby' has left him.

As for instrumentation - drum machines, synths and sampling. Talentless, unskilled, unworthy to be called music.

R'n'B 'music' is really the most degenerate, base, worthless noise you could ever listen to; entirely fitting that it has been taken up as the soundtrack to the most degenerate, base, worthless generation of youth yet.
    You obviously haven't listened to real RnB. :dunce:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    Techno/Dance ****.

Who ENJOYS listening to that rubbish? It just gives me a headache.

:perv:

ReputationRep:
    You obviously haven't listened to real RnB.
    I haven't seen you around since the chemistry a2 threads.... :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalFlash)

If that was techno etc., thank gosh it's embedding disabled

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalFlash)

how did you embed, its not working for me...

ReputationRep:
    heavy metal and country and western !

ReputationRep:
    how did you embed, its not working for me...
    It depends on the video. I had to change to this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy2nBvtkgyE

If that was techno etc., thank gosh it's embedding disabled

:hand:

ReputationRep:
    I cant stand pop music. The beats sound like they were made by a 5 year old always the same. Emotionally dead empty lyrics. Auto tuned so they sound even worse!

ReputationRep:
    to be fair, I actually don't hip-hop , I absolutely hate gangsta rap and grime though.... people like lil wayne, 50 cent, kano, wiley etc really have no talent. All their songs are about "clubs, repping your endz, booty, *****ez and hoes".

By the way has anyone seen lil wayne trying to play the guitar...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadow99)
    heavy metal and country and western !

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.