Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there any music style you just can't stand? Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI0-Q4Ub21w THIS. this guy p*sses me off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    Dubstep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CondensedMilk)
    As a serious hiphop fan I can really sympathise with your position. I've never really listened to metal out of lack of interest to be honest, but I'll give it a go if you can suggest some good bands/songs to get started on.
    Well this is a song that isn't RORORORO and is actually quite a beautiful song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80kOBeMEm2I

Also one of my favourite bands. Another band you could check out is Eluveitie who I mentioned earlier, they are a lot heavier than Nightwish and they also incorporate traditional Celtic folk into their music. Just comparing someone like Eluveitie to Nightwish shows how diverse metal can be.

ReputationRep:
    all of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    R'n'B. Awful, effeminate, tuneless, often excessively vulgar rubbish.
    1995:

2001:

2010:

I despair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    You say falsetto, I say balls-in-a-vice.

I agree that the songwriting is incredible; it completely lacks any artistic credibility. I've rarely heard an R'n'B song where the subject matter is any deeper than some guy wanting to see a woman's 'booty' shake, or him crying like a ***** because his 'baby' has left him.

As for instrumentation - drum machines, synths and sampling. Talentless, unskilled, unworthy to be called music.

R'n'B 'music' is really the most degenerate, base, worthless noise you could ever listen to; entirely fitting that it has been taken up as the soundtrack to the most degenerate, base, worthless generation of youth yet.

Let's not entirely forfeit all semblance of perspective here.

ReputationRep:
    I pride myself on having quite a diverse taste in music, but I still can't bring myself to like most Country and Western or Jazz.

ReputationRep:
    All the "indie" alternative hipster rock music. All sounds the same and so bland. When the only sound you use is a guitar it gets boring quick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trell)
    Hip-Hop and everything related to it. The dumb 'bad boi' image is just embarrassing haha.
    That's not hip hop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabregassed)
    to be fair, I actually don't hip-hop , I absolutely hate gangsta rap and grime though.... people like lil wayne, 50 cent, kano, wiley etc really have no talent. All their songs are about "clubs, repping your endz, booty, *****ez and hoes".

By the way has anyone seen lil wayne trying to play the guitar...
    He used to be interesting:

ReputationRep:
    although i don't know 100% what it sounds like, i hate genres with ridiculous names like 'shoegaze' and 'hair-metal' o.O

ReputationRep:
    Mainstream RnB
    Gangsta rap

ReputationRep:
    these crappy rappers who think that portraying an image of being rich, having many scantily clad women and general trousers-around-arse twatery is good. Saying that, there are good rappers... it's just this swathe of crap RnB that's come out recently. It's not like I don't like it and just abide it... my ears actually object to it. I'm often having to clean the blood out of my ears and bathe them in good music to counter-balance the shoddy RnB.

ReputationRep:
    Can't stand (c)rap. Usually done by people with no singing ability, talking in a monotonic tone over stolen music with just a beat, no rhythm, no melody, and no harmony, reciting rhymes that would fail an 11+ English exam with about as much literary complexity as a manual for a sweeping brush, and usually about a limited range of subject matter. Even the accompanying videos are all the same, with some scantily clad girls, a Lamborghini (or similar) and a load of testosterone filled narcissism. Utter tripe !

ReputationRep:
    This has been said about a thousand times in this thread, but I also hate that heavy metal **** where all they do is shout and scream ...

Anything any winner of xfactor or similar has ever released, and quite a lot of bands that people seem to love nowadays such as kings of leon.

ReputationRep:
    as a generalisatioon emoo....so diree and unorginal.
    and 2000 pop like robbie williams, kylie, britney, suga babes... im not sure what genre that fits into..
    tho i wouldnt 100% hate a whole genre, im sure there is some emo i like....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walter Ego)
    Can't stand (c)rap. Usually done by people with no singing ability, talking in a monotonic tone over stolen music with just a beat, no rhythm, no melody, and no harmony, reciting rhymes that would fail an 11+ English exam with about as much literary complexity as a manual for a sweeping brush, and usually about a limited range of subject matter. Even the accompanying videos are all the same, with some scantily clad girls, a Lamborghini (or similar) and a load of testosterone filled narcissism. Utter tripe !

ohhhh mmyyy...what a generalisation. couldn't disagree more...some rappers put across very important messages and rap can say a lot more than any other genre does imo.

ReputationRep:
    This thread hurts my brain, so many people unaware of genres or just music in gereral...

Personally I can't stand the whole indie rock thing, britpop and all that crap. Can't stand RnB. Can't stand ***** hip hop. Noise music is something I don't understand, and is also something not a lot of people seem to be aware of - just check out Merzbow if you want to torture yourself for a few minutes.
    I also seem to dislike music that is not complex in it's arrangements - such as pop etc, even some metal that I deem to be too simple (with the exception of black metal, I love some black metal )

ReputationRep:
    So many people hate metal!
    Anything that sounds like 'I'm yours' by Jason Mraz.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.