Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi ive been looking at those ems systems (electronic muscle stimulators) and was wondering do they actually work maybe any medical students could help here the fact that they are doing what your brain/nerves would do ie contrating your muscles via electronic signals so is there any chance they could somehow affect your brain and cause spasms or you not being able to control the muscles you use it on as you muscles are contracting but your brain is not telling them to if you see what i mean?

ReputationRep:
    let me guess - you want a six pack. These things are no better than doing 50 sit-ups. Don't be lazy.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i do other stuff aswell and wouldnt just rely on this however i do have to do work an am busy so i could wear this and do work also you can use it to relieve back pain and increase blood flow to some areas and i do occasionally get back pain and my hands have limited blood flow so yeah its that im after a 6 pack but am too lazy to do anything i just wondered what effects there were

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonny_d123)
    hi ive been looking at those ems systems (electronic muscle stimulators) and was wondering do they actually work
    Yes BUT you have to spend a serious amount of money (ie; several hundred pounds) to get a good one.

yeah i do other stuff aswell and wouldnt just rely on this however i do have to do work an am busy so i could wear this and do work also
    Have you ever used or at least tried one of these products? They are not comfortable to wear and you would have to wear them for significantly longer than fitting in a short but intense workout.

You say you're 'busy' but I'm still willing to bet that you have the time to work out and eat properly - the vast majority of people waste hours dicking about on the internet, texting mates, watching tv, etc.

you can use it to relieve back pain and increase blood flow to some areas and i do occasionally get back pain and my hands have limited blood flow
    All it does is treat the symptom, not the cause, which means that if you don't correct your posture, work out properly, etc you are always going to have problems experience back pain and you're always going to have to use one of these products.

Likewise if you really do have bad circulation you're best off talking to your GP, eating better, getting more exercise, etc.

so yeah its that im after a 6 pack but am too lazy to do anything i just wondered what effects there were
    If it was that easy and EMS products were that effective everybody would have a sixpack.

ReputationRep:
    right some help here but my main question is does it have any physiclogical effects that anybody knows of
    also should add "so yeah its that im after a 6 pack but am too lazy to do anything" this bit was sacrcasm for anybody who took it seriously as i know you cant get a 6 pack from just strapping one on and watching tv all day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonny_d123)
    right some help here but my main question is does it have any physiclogical effects that anybody knows of
    Yes BUT...
    -They're expensive (ie; exercise is effectively free and decent EMS devices cost significantly more than the likes of Slendertone)
    -They're ineffective compared to a proper exercise and diet regime (ie; if you want to look like an athlete you will have to eat and train like one. Sitting in front of a computer all day eating pie and getting electric shocks is going to make you look like a freak who sits in front of a computer all day while eating pie and having electric shocks).

also should add "so yeah its that im after a 6 pack but am too lazy to do anything" this bit was sacrcasm for anybody who took it seriously as i know you cant get a 6 pack from just strapping one on and watching tv all day
    It doesn't bother me either way - the only person who loses out here is you if you're willing to waste your money on one and/or lack the willpower to achieve anything worthwhile.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.