Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay I am not vaccinated against a lot of things due to my own personal choice. Would that ever go against me wanting to work in Occupational Therapy? Surely they can't force you to go ahead and get them? lol

ReputationRep:
    Some hospitals may not allow people to work with patients unless they have appropriate immunisations. Since OT doesn't involve high-risk exposure, eg to blood & body fluids, the guidelines may be less stringent. Still, I think it's unwise to work in an environment that might exposure you to infectious diseases without having the maximum protection for yourself and your patients.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I would understand it if I was being a nurse etc but I am hoping my work takes me in to schools.

ReputationRep:
    You would still have to go into hospitals for your placements as you don't really get a choice until you're qualified. And even kids in schools can have infectious diseases, so you are no safer there then you would be in hospital.

It's pretty much a pre-requisite that you are properly vaccinated against everything that the university wants you to be vaccinated against, and I'm pretty certain that it would be one of the conditions for you to satisfy before they let you start the course.

You are just going to have to do what everyone else does and get the vaccinations or else choose another career. Welcome to the real world!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joannalicious)
    Okay I am not vaccinated against a lot of things due to my own personal choice. Would that ever go against me wanting to work in Occupational Therapy? Surely they can't force you to go ahead and get them? lol
    I've no idea what the actual situation is, but in similar occupations they would be perfectly in their rights to deny you a position based on not having vaccinations. It makes you dangerous, and there's no other way to not be dangerous in this way.

ReputationRep:
    I had to have MMR and heb b against my will (well or else choose another career) to do mh nursing at my uni its the same with all healthcare students. There are risks with them but they are risks you need to take for the sake of yourslef and your patients.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimbo139)
    Since OT doesn't involve high-risk exposure, eg to blood & body fluids, the guidelines may be less stringent. .
    the OTs I work with get exposed to PLENTY of blood and bodily fluids - urine, faeces, vomit, sputum......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackieS)
    the OTs I work with get exposed to PLENTY of blood and bodily fluids - urine, faeces, vomit, sputum......
    Ah, but... the OP is going to work in a nice school with nice patients who don't spout blood or other unpleasant fluids! They are all clean and fresh smelling and continent!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puddlejumper)
    Ah, but... the OP is going to work in a nice school with nice patients who don't spout blood or other unpleasant fluids! They are all clean and fresh smelling and continent!
    we wish lol

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 27, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.