Turn on thread page Beta

Boys do better at private school than girls? watch

ReputationRep:
    Well here is an interesting little article from the daily fail for ya. Apparently in order to survive the state sector you need to be a 'square peg in a round hole'.

Enjoy
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...daughters.html

ReputationRep:
    I read a similar article in Tatler. I don't think that boys do better at a private school than girls (my brother and I were both privately educated and I got better grades than him) but I think that boys do better at a private school compaired to a state school than girls do.

I understand why parents do it, but I don't know if I'd be able to do it myself if I was a parent and could only afford one set of fees, but I know of people who have done it (although in one case the girl went to the private school and the boy, a state school).

ReputationRep:
    Who cares... private school boys don't get any.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -beads-)
    Who cares... private school boys don't get any.
    Oi! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit harsh to give one of your kids a better education and not the other IMO. I know one family whose eldest child went to a state school (comprehensive), but two younger siblings went to (much better) private schools. I imagine that would kind of breed resentment. I imagine state grammar vs private isn't as bad though.

If girls generally do better than boys, then it makes sense that a boy would show a bigger improvement at a private than a state compared to a girl who did the same.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't read the article, but I don't understand the shock factor behind the whole 'Girls V Boys' debate with regards to education.

One gender is always going to do better than the other. One gender has to be performing slightly worse. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I went to a private school and it was the most horrendous experience of my life. I would never think of sending a child to such a place. It is child abuse.

ReputationRep:
    I went to a co-ed private school, I'd say the girls worked harder..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theological_Hattie)
    I went to a private school and it was the most horrendous experience of my life. I would never think of sending a child to such a place. It is child abuse.
    Child abuse? really? Why do you think that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tefhel)
    It's a bit harsh to give one of your kids a better education and not the other IMO. I know one family whose eldest child went to a state school (comprehensive), but two younger siblings went to (much better) private schools. I imagine that would kind of breed resentment. I imagine state grammar vs private isn't as bad though.

If girls generally do better than boys, then it makes sense that a boy would show a bigger improvement at a private than a state compared to a girl who did the same.
    In that case the one that goes to a private probably just wasn't smart enough to get into a state grammar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    In that case the one that goes to a private probably just wasn't smart enough to get into a state grammar
    I have done the tests for both grammar and pvt schools. The 2 pvt school borderline test was harder imo than the grammar. I got 137 out of 140 on the verbal reasoning for example. This became irrelevant because of my sports scholarship to the private one...

ReputationRep:
    Also, dislike stereotyping but the way 'matty' is standing in the picture with the article leads me to believe he might grow up bent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    Child abuse? really? Why do you think that?
    Firstly the bullying. We're not just talking about a bit of *****ing behind backs but extreme psychological torturing. Also, physical bullying and violence - all of which was ignored and swept under the rug by the staff.

The attitude that I saw instilled into many of my peers was 'I go to ***** School, therefore I am so much better than the rest of you, who are scum of the earth'. This seemed to be encouraged and many of my classmates who have gone on to other things have found it very hard to shed the attitude - some to the detriment of their careers.

The work ethos is awful. You are driven, but not to learn and acquire a rounded knowledge but only how to pass the exams. Exam grades are everything!

I could go on for a lot longer but I shall wrap up with one last point. The uniform.

I am sure not all schools are like this but this is my experience of 2 of them.

ReputationRep:
    I have done the tests for both grammar and pvt schools. The 2 pvt school borderline test was harder imo than the grammar. I got 137 out of 140 on the verbal reasoning for example. This became irrelevant because of my sports scholarship to the private one...
    Just because you found a certain test harder doesn't really make a difference. The fact is grammar schools are more competetive to get into because so many more people apply. The difficulty of the test is irrelevant becuase all that matters is whether you are in the top 200 or however many people they are admitting. But I do agree that the boy looks fully bats in that photo

ReputationRep:
    Firstly the bullying. We're not just talking about a bit of *****ing behind backs but extreme psychological torturing. Also, physical bullying and violence - all of which was ignored and swept under the rug by the staff.

The attitude that I saw instilled into many of my peers was 'I go to ***** School, therefore I am so much better than the rest of you, who are scum of the earth'. This seemed to be encouraged and many of my classmates who have gone on to other things have found it very hard to shed the attitude - some to the detriment of their careers.

The work ethos is awful. You are driven, but not to learn and acquire a rounded knowledge but only how to pass the exams. Exam grades are everything!

I could go on for a lot longer but I shall wrap up with one last point. The uniform.

Stateschools are bringing in pvt school uniforms quite fast now.

That attitude hasn't been instilled in me, infact we frequently meet a group of people from the local comp and the bus stop on the way too and from school and it makes for some nice chats .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    :dontknow: My county doesn't have grammar schools.

ReputationRep:

That attitude hasn't been instilled in me, infact we frequently meet a group of people from the local comp and the bus stop on the way too and from school and it makes for some nice chats .
    I'm glad to hear it. I hope my experiences are not typical.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, both schools in the article are excellent schools. I don't think it is really as dramatic an example as it seems, as so many people would be pleased to attend either.

ReputationRep:

The bullying in a state school is at least 100x worse than in a private school. And I know people from state schools who say they see at least one fight a day in school - I've seen three in the six years i've been at this school...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben77mc)
    The bullying in a state school is at least 100x worse than in a private school. And I know people from state schools who say they see at least one fight a day in school - I've seen three in the six years i've been at this school...
    Having been to both I can say that is complete ********. I'm guessing your exaggerating to make your point but its a stupid point either way.

Either your trolling, or are just an idiot.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.