Turn on thread page Beta

Part time jobs that aren't in retail watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have/had any well paid part time jobs that weren't working in some shop? How did you find them?

ReputationRep:
    im watching this thread all the way.

ReputationRep:
    I work at the airport in world duty free (retail) but im in promotions so its a lot of fun and different to outside retail! found it through a mate!

ReputationRep:
    Lifeguard? Gotta do a week long course, cost me £150 but I earnt that back in 3 shifts so its well worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, did a sort-of internship with an advertizing agency which was pretty damn amazing. They had the coolest office, complete with an xbox, flat screen and surround sound and a fridge filled with free drinks and snacks to boot. There were also bean bags and a hoop above the bin. Nothing is more awesome in an office than bean bags.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doubledot)
    Yeah, did a sort-of internship with an advertizing agency which was pretty damn amazing. They had the coolest office, complete with an xbox, flat screen and surround sound and a fridge filled with free drinks and snacks to boot. There were also bean bags and a hoop above the bin. Nothing is more awesome in an office than bean bags.
    Sounds pretty nice, how did you get that job? What did it pay and how many hours was it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midpikyrozziy)
    Sounds pretty nice, how did you get that job? What did it pay and how many hours was it?
    I was sleeping with my boss.

Haha, actually, he was my boyfriend for ages before this. However, he did not hire me because of that! So just to clear that up. But it paid what equates to 500 pounds a week for basically 3 hours a night (because I type quickly and write like a maniac).

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who works part time doing officy work for NHS, and started before he left sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    I was sleeping with my boss.

Haha, actually, he was my boyfriend for ages before this. However, he did not hire me because of that! So just to clear that up. But it paid what equates to 500 pounds a week for basically 3 hours a night (because I type quickly and write like a maniac).
    Wow that sounds pretty class, looks like I need to find some advertising bosses to sleep with

ReputationRep:
    I love working in my mum's shop; couldn't ask for a better, more fun job.
    Anyway, now I have two part time jobs in marketing, through uni They're okay, but retail is so much more awesome. There is no feeling like taking hundreds of pounds in cold hard cash, it's so happifying

ReputationRep:
    OMG, :five: I'm going to do an advertising internship too hopefully, in Abu Dhabi. I had a look there in the summer, and it looked nice. I won't go there till December though, so in the meantime I'm pretty much searching for any job I can get right now :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    OMG, :five: I'm going to do an advertising internship too hopefully, in Abu Dhabi. I had a look there in the summer, and it looked nice. I won't go there till December though, so in the meantime I'm pretty much searching for any job I can get right now :o:
    You're going to love it. The reason why they have such great, fun offices is because they're 'creative work environments' which bring more ideas etc etc. Take advantage of it all!

ReputationRep:
    I work as a Science presenter for Mad Science which is £20p/h, it's a pretty cool job!

What are your skills/interests OP?

ReputationRep:
    tutoring? My friend tutors for 2 hours a week for £20. She is going to start doing more hours.

ReputationRep:
    You're going to love it. The reason why they have such great, fun offices is because they're 'creative work environments' which bring more ideas etc etc. Take advantage of it all!
    Thanks . When I went on my tour there, I was rather surprised at how relaxed everything seemed. I expected to see people in strict office wear, yet they were all dressed really casually in jeans and stuff. And it did look like a fun place to work :yep:. Will definitely take advantage
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Sailing instructing, working in cafes, working in a bar or restaurant, sometimes games tester jobs come up but very rarely.

ReputationRep:
    arent all internships full-time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katyness)
    arent all internships full-time?
    Yeah, that's why I said sort-of. Office hours weren't really regular so it was hard to be full-time. It was more 'do this amount of work before this date', so I could bring my work home or finish it really fast if I just set aside a whole night and worked hard.

ReputationRep:
    I can understand your problem with working in high street shops - working in a crappy retail jobs is the most mind-numbingly boring activity I have ever experienced. The best part time jobs I've ever had were:

Freelance copywriter/marketer - independence, creative freedom
    Working in a video games shop - friendly laid-back atmosphere
    Gardening - sunshine, fresh air and exercise :yep:

All through friends, or friends of friends.

ReputationRep:
    I know this one dude...
    I'm listening... LMAO! Any chance you can give the name of the company u worked for?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.