Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

cheaper to fly or drive within uk? Watch

ReputationRep:
    by cheaper i dont just mean price but also money! :L
    im thinking of applying to a university to do a course i really like, but its really far away from where i live. Im not sure what would work out cheaper to drive (or train for the first year) or get a flight? What are you guys in this situation doing? also whats the cheapest way to go about it, any student discounts, early booking etc?

ReputationRep:
    Need a bit more info than that then I could maybe answer. Nearest airports etc.
    There are some really good train ticket deals out there though, buy a rail card. I would probably consider the train or a flight though.
    Could be wrong of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smj14)
    by cheaper i dont just mean price but also money! :L
    im thinking of applying to a university to do a course i really like, but its really far away from where i live. Im not sure what would work out cheaper to drive (or train for the first year) or get a flight? What are you guys in this situation doing? also whats the cheapest way to go about it, any student discounts, early booking etc?

What about the bus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    What about the bus?
    If he's talking about getting a flight, I for one would hate being on a bus for the journey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgEGNT)
    If he's talking about getting a flight, I for one would hate being on a bus for the journey.
    But if it's about price...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    But if it's about price...
    True...

Worth a go OP. Just depends on whether you want to get the cheapest option there is no matter what it is or involves, or whether you want the cheapest option that will also allow to you hold onto your sanity.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the location, are their any nearby airlines ? maybe easy jet or ryanair.
    Train can be expensive, you might want to either drive or take a National express bus.

ReputationRep:
    The bus normally works out cheaper, even for very long journeys.

When calculating the cost of travelling by plane, remember to include travel costs to and from the airport.

Remember also that by the time you have travelled to the airport, arrived early, etc, travelling by bus doesn't always take so much longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smj14)
    by cheaper i dont just mean price but also money!
    Oh right.

ReputationRep:
    It depends where you are flying to. If you are flying to Scotland Easyjet fly to 4 major cities in Scotland from Luton airport for around £90 return.
    Where is the university?
    Claire

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.