Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I am studying English and Theology. I have just received my exam results and got a low 2.1 (61) for the second year. I am not sure I want to return next week. I just feel as though I am going through the motions, not really engaging with University. I just felt as though I had to go to Uni at 18 because this is what everyone else was doing. I didn't want to initially, but felt bullied in to it by various people. Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Just do it. Massive waste of money if you don't.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you've already completed 2 years there and somehow coped. Why don't you just finish this last year and you'll come out with a degree in the end. Just put more effort into this year if you want a higher mark.

Is your problem that you don't think you're on the right course? Or just university in general?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Ask em what your options are. You may be able to leave with a diploma of higher education which means you will be later be able to go anywhere (that accepts you) to top it up to a degree. Depending on the uni you decide to apply to, though, you may need to study for two years in order to top this up to a degree. Alternatively, you could transfer the credits from the two years that you have completed to the Open University and you could complete the remaining 120 credits that you need to obtain a degree part-time whilst working. You could even have a break for a while if you don't want to continue to study straight away and then choose either of these options later.

Alternatively, the uni you are at now may be able to allow you to complete your final year part-time or to offer some other solutions.

But do not drop out without speaking to them first! If you do that you will be unable to obtain any credit for the years that you have completed and if you decide to return to study you would then need to complete the whole of the degree again. If you wanted to return full-time you would be unlikely to get funding from the Student Loans Company if you had to repeat the whole three years.

ReputationRep:
    Dropping out after two years when on course for a 2.1 is, if you'll excuse my point, ****ing stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Dropping out in the first year is not uncommon and doesn't really cause problems. I think it would be different for you dropping out this late.

You may as well finish now as its only really 8 months to go. Would reflect negatively on you to employers and in any future course applications you made, not to mention being a waste of the money you've already spent.

ReputationRep:
    Just finish and get your 2.1, find a job afterwards, and forget about it.

ReputationRep:
    If I was in your shoes id just carry on, it's just one year left!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cache)
    Hi guys,

I am studying English and Theology. I have just received my exam results and got a low 2.1 (61) for the second year. I am not sure I want to return next week. I just feel as though I am going through the motions, not really engaging with University. I just felt as though I had to go to Uni at 18 because this is what everyone else was doing. I didn't want to initially, but felt bullied in to it by various people. Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.
    Everyone goes through the motions in their third year; attendance drops, seminars become difficult, and there is a general level of apathy about assignments. In a sense, you are quite lucky because you have some motivation; that is, you have to put enough work in to secure a 2.1. For some students it is difficult and tedious, knowing that they are safe in a particular class and must ride out the year. I was in a different situation: I was aiming for a first and the year was pretty much continuous stress as I invested lots of time into assignments and postgraduate applications. In the end I faulted in the exams and it was a bit of an anticlimax just missing out on a first. You just have to motivate yourself however you can.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Dropping out after two years when on course for a 2.1 is, if you'll excuse my point, ****ing stupid.
    This. Sorry to be harsh.

What a lot of people seem to fail to realise is that a 2:1 is a very good degree that many many people struggle to achieve. You will have done well to get a 2:1.

If you want to PM me to talk about work stuff (Eng and Theo are my subjects too) or to rant then please feel free.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.