Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much should I revise for A-level if I am aiming for straight A's? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Question in the title

ReputationRep:
    It depends.

ReputationRep:
    Start with half an hour a day, build up half an hour a month, eventually when you get to exam times, you'll be doing 5-6 hours, atleast, without even realising.

It worked for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -beads-)
    Start with half an hour a day, build up half an hour a month, eventually when you get to exam times, you'll be doing 5-6 hours, atleast, without even realising.

It worked for me.
    Per subject or altogether?

ReputationRep:
    Depends how clever/stupid you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaD96)
    Per subject or altogether?
    Altogether.

You'll bore yourself and not bother during exam time if you start too early, intensely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    Depends how clever/stupid you are.
    Even I am unsure of that, so let's assume the wost-case scenario. If I'm completely thick, what do you suggest?

ReputationRep:
    I revise everything the teacher mentioned in class so I am sure I got everything in class. You could do this and when exams come start revising.

How long you revise does not really matter it's what you take in.
    you can force yourself to revise for 5 hours a day and not take anything in. Yet someone else could revise for 1 hour a day and take in more then the guy who was revising for 5 hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaD96)
    Even I am unsure of that, so let's assume the wost-case scenario. If I'm completely thick, what do you suggest?
    Let's assume you'd get straight Us if you didn't revise at all.

I would start revison immediately.
    I would make sure I listened and worked in class (which of you do, you don't need to revise as long, as long as you understand concepts in class.)
    Then when I arrived home, I'd re-do all the work I did that day again.

BUT, that's literally if you'd get UUUU otherwise.

A girl I know who's not overly intelligent, but not stupid either, started revising before Christmas, she got ABB or something, when she was averaging Ds and Cs.

ReputationRep:
    I have drawn you a graph.

Spoiler:
    Show
    until you know the material. noone can give you a definite time needed for As
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    3 hours per day...thats what my college is saying >.<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    I have drawn you a graph.

Spoiler:
    Show
    until you know the material. noone can give you a definite time needed for As
    I tend to agree with the general trend.

Although, I'd say some people won't get AAA regardless of how hard they work.

ReputationRep:
    Exceptional case for me...I think I just got really lucky...wont think it will happen again at A2 :s

I use to get <50%s in my assessment tests i didnt revise alot for AS mock exams etc...obviously i didnt want to fail...near exam days i really picked up my pace...like 2 weeks before exams...I didnt understand my notes...i just went through every single past exam paper...for (maths physics chem econ)...lol and what i went thru in the past papers came up on the real exams
    ended up getting AAAB :s 93 in c1 and 95 in chem unit 1 and others at like 83s 85s

I wouldnt recommend any1 doin this tho...I cant belive i got so lucky :O

but basically go home and revise what u done in class...this way u wont have to go back to lesson one revise that and all the way to the last leson get me...

ReputationRep:
    well for the summer exams i was doing about an hour or two a day in the first few weeks of may. in actual exam time i was probs averaging 4/5 hours a day, maybe 5 days a week. so yea,, start as soon as you want,, but only a bit,, wait until nearer to the exams to get serious about it. if you start intensely now youl do really good revision but when youl peak way way too soon an by exams youl be sick of it and not do too great. I got straight as in maths further maths an physics an a b in chem btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack999)
    Exceptional case for me...I think I just got really lucky...wont think it will happen again at A2 :s

I use to get <50%s in my assessment tests i didnt revise alot for AS mock exams etc...obviously i didnt want to fail...near exam days i really picked up my pace...like 2 weeks before exams...I didnt understand my notes...i just went through every single past exam paper...for (maths physics chem econ)...lol and what i went thru in the past papers came up on the real exams
    ended up getting AAAB :s 93 in c1 and 95 in chem unit 1 and others at like 83s 85s

I wouldnt recommend any1 doin this tho...I cant belive i got so lucky :O

but basically go home and revise what u done in class...this way u wont have to go back to lesson one revise that and all the way to the last leson get me...
    :nah: Won't work at A2.
    They add subtle changes to essay questions, and ask you to apply your knowledge more in sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    I tend to agree with the general trend.

Although, I'd say some people won't get AAA regardless of how hard they work.
    Agreed. I tried to make the gradient tend towards zero, but its difficult on MS paint. whatever your intelligence too, a certain amount of work is needed. you can't just spontaneously gain knowledge.
    I also didn't specify what work was measured in. depends both on time spent, and how hard the person concentrates etc.
    It may need to be redrawn

Spoiler:
    Show
    yes, this afternoon is that boring for me

ReputationRep:
    You must revise 12-15 hours a day and only leave time for eating and going to the toilet and/or shower.
    Rest of your time must be used for revising!
    Don't forget that.:gah:

ReputationRep:
    depends....

One of my friends started studying from Day 1 of college and got AAAAA
    while my other friend,, didn't study at home a bit until 1 month before the exam and got AAAA

ReputationRep:
    Not about the time you revise for, its about revising efficiently. Efficiency x Time, however....

ReputationRep:
    Don't think about it in terms of 'revising', if you are starting your A levels now, think about it in terms of 'being on top of the subject from the word go'. If you are on top of the subject then you don't really need to revise, you have just learned and understood everything as you have gone along, yes you need to be regularly reading over stuff you did in the past to make sure it makes sense, but if you are on top of the material from the start then you will just be confident when it comes to exam time.

Problem with a lot of peoples approach is they kind of halfheartedly go through the term and then draw up a 'revision timetable' which is basically a form of cramming where they have to teach themselves parts of the syllabus for the first time, when it comes to revision.

University is like this as well, if you are somewhere where they don't examine at the end of every semester and it comes down to a load of exams in the summer, you can't possibly revise enough for those, you just have to make sure from week 1 of the course you are on top of the material so by the time it comes to exam you just know you will know what to do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.