Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Leaving expensive laptop in halls over holidays. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for 2011 entry and plan on living in halls for my first year.

I have quite an expensive laptop (over £1300) which I was planning on taking with me and also using to watch tv etc. It is 19" and so not practical to be lugging around on and off trains/buses etc so I thought of leaving it locked in my room in halls during half terms etc and buying a netbook to bring home to continue working, and also I can use it on the train.

But I am thinking maybe this is not a great idea? I dont know how secure the halls are, and if anyone else would have a key to my room (cleaners or maintenance maybe?) and if it would be stolen.

My other option is to buy a small/medium sized laptop to take to uni which I can bring home during the holidays.

Opinions? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ununpentium)

I have quite an expensive laptop (over £1300) which I was planning on taking with me and also using to watch tv etc. It is 19" and so not practical to be lugging around on and off trains/buses etc so I thought of leaving it locked in my room in halls during half terms etc and buying a netbook to bring home to continue working, and also I can use it on the train.

But I am thinking maybe this is not a great idea? I dont know how secure the halls are, and if anyone else would have a key to my room (cleaners or maintenance maybe?) and if it would be stolen.

My other option is to buy a small/medium sized laptop to take to uni which I can bring home during the holidays.

Opinions? Thanks.
    Well, wait for 4 weeks during your halls and see how it goes before buying something expensive. Even though its 4 weeks, doesn't mean to say its secure.

Its just one of those days. Why not carry the laptop with you at all time. The small medium sized, i mean. Therefore, anything happens to you is your fault to blame. But it will be a pain to carry a laptop everytime you go.

I was worried to, I ended up having to buy laptop locks, etc and I was on 5th floor. In the end, there was no burglary on my floor BUT there was one on ground floor of my building during Christmas holidays

ReputationRep:
    So you have a laptop that's practically immobile, but sufficiently portable to be stolen easily. Any point?

ReputationRep:
    Everywhere is different, everyday is different. You won't find a correct answer on this, you'll just have to be cautious about it.

Plus, an expensive laptop is not needed, just something that is practical and that can do virtually anything you need to do on your course. I ended up buying a laptop that cost alot because of its brand. If I didn't, I would have saved about £400/450 pounds and thats a saver.

Imagine how many clothes, food to buy and even book a holiday or two.

ReputationRep:
    Stolen laptop or minor inconvenience?

You choose.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just take it home? It can't be so heavy that you can't carry it onto the train, and carry it off again. Or would you have to take it lots of places?

edit: silly typo

ReputationRep:
    What is the point of a 19" laptop. Too big to be portable, mobile graphics card will struggle to push the resolution, expensive. Might as well have got a Desktop/All in One.

Back to the question, I don't think it is that risky to leave stuff in a locked hall over holidays. Room insurance could be an option (and definitley should be an option when you move out of halls)

ReputationRep:
    why dont you just hide the laptop, like in your wardrobe underneath a lot of clothes when you go back home or some other place?

ReputationRep:
    You won't be going home every week, so I would rather take a nice laptop, secure it in your room with a Kensington lock when you go out, and definitely take it home with you at half term.

Halls aren't usually very secure and you never know who has a key to your room.

Netbooks are fine, but for long term serious work the small screen can be annoying, better to get a laptop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ununpentium)

Opinions? Thanks.
    Take out some insurance with endsleigh or someone and you can have all your room contents insured. It didn't cost me all that much last year to be honest so that's worth a look. That way if anything happens you are covered.

ReputationRep:
    A non-portable laptop? That must be...useful.

Besides, universities don't have half-terms so really you're only taking it home at Christmas and Easter, is that really such a tough ask?

ReputationRep:
    It is ridiculously oversized, but I never bought it with the intention of it being portable, I either use it on my desk in my bedroom or on my lap in the lounge. I suppose I should have got a desktop.

I do have a laptop case for it, and yes I can carry it around if needed, it's just incredibly awkward but I shall have to get over that. I just worry that on a packed train/tube someone will get pushed into me and it will break or something.

I dont have the money to be buying second latops/netbooks so I dont really know why I thought that was a viable option.

For some reason I expected to be going home every five/six weeks or so, not really sure why to be honest. Christmas and easter is do-able.

Thanks for your replies.

ReputationRep:
    Leave it, hide it, lock your room.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry. Any would-be thief will ruin their spinal column trying to lift it. :rolleyes: What were you thinking when you bought that!? :lolwut:

You could get a Kensington lock?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    What were you thinking when you bought that!? :lolwut
    All I could see was SONY VAIO SONY VAIO SONY VAIO.

I'm a sucker really.

ReputationRep:
    laptop + rucksack = success

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I'd just stuff the inconvenience and take it home with me everytime! No point buying two laptops, is there!

ReputationRep:
    why dont you take the netbook with you to uni and leave that beast at home?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.