(Original post by MrDoovde)
    no u
    ooo you really got me with that reply :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inspirational912)
    ooo you really got me with that reply :thumbsup:
    i know brah

(Original post by ck88)
    I've been in a similar position except no one knows that I know my dad had an affair. When I found out, I was angry, I was hurt, I was betrayed. I drove home after finding out during a dinner with someone to demand that my parents get divorced. However, I came home, saw my younger brother sleeping and realised that I couldn't do that to him - destroy the perfect perception of the family that he has so I kept it in and until today no one knows I know. It still affects me. For example, if my father snaps at my mother I just think 'what the hell right has he got to get angry at her for anything when he's cheated', or I think that if my father, the most important man in my life, could cheat on my mother, the most perfect woman in my life, then what hope do I have of a man ever being faithful to me.

However, these are things that we just have to deal with. You have to decide what you want to do but you must remember that whatever you decide to do has repercussions for your whole family. Would it make you happy to find out for sure what happens? How do you think you will feel in the long run? And the effects on your family? Do you want to talk to her about it? I'm quite happy living in denial, which is easy because my parents, from the outside at least, are crazy about each other. Don't make any rash decisions while you're still obviously and understandably emotionally charged. Sleep on it, calm down and think properly about what the best thing to do is.

I really really appreciate your response. Thank you so much. I may even PM because I really have no one to turn to...it's such a delicate situation

ReputationRep:
    If she wants to have an affair then it's none of your business - she's not breaking any laws.

I suspected my dad of having an affair - I followed him to a hotel which confirmed my fears. If you're going to do it, you need to be prepared for what you might find, no matter how prepared you feel you are. When the evidence is right in front of your face, you've put yourself in a difficult position :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I really really appreciate your response. Thank you so much. I may even PM because I really have no one to turn to...it's such a delicate situation
    Of course, PM me anytime

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I suspected my dad of having an affair - I followed him to a hotel which confirmed my fears. If you're going to do it, you need to be prepared for what you might find, no matter how prepared you feel you are. When the evidence is right in front of your face, you've put yourself in a difficult position :s
    How did you react to the situation and what did you do after?

Thanks...

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be surprised if your parents have this arrangement and they're only trying to keep it away from you and your sister. If they're not happy they could be together for you and your sister, it's not uncommon.

ReputationRep:
    confirm it first before you do anything

ReputationRep:
    I'm so sorry, this sounds a really nasty situation.
    My dad had an affair a few years ago and I remember the home life feeling different and just knowing something was wrong.
    As others have said, if you're going to do something about it, you have to be prepared for what's going to happen as a result as this sort of thing can tear a family apart (it did mine) but time really does help.
    Divorce really does sound like the best option for your parents (hope I'm not overstepping the mark saying that). I understand that you're an asian family and very family orientated and this will possibly look bad to relatives, but things will sort themselves out and it may be the best thing in the long run.
    You do need to be sure first though. If you don't want to come out with the rather blunt 'are you having an affair?', try to get her admit it by admitting you know she's not always honest about her whereabouts.
    I wish I could be more help.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.