Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering applying there, but after mentioning this to someone I've now got my doubts. I read that it only fully became a university in 2006? This cant be too good
    I'm worried my degree wouldn't stand for much if I was to go there

Just general opinions please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mehhh.....hi.)
    I'm considering applying there, but after mentioning this to someone I've now got my doubts. I read that it only fully became a university in 2006? This cant be too good
    I'm worried my degree wouldn't stand for much if I was to go there

Just general opinions please
    It is an "ex poly" university, so yes one of the newer ones. As for whether its any good that depends on what you want to do and your grades. For example for teaching its supposed to be good. The rest depends on your grades. If you have B's or A's you could look at other unis

ReputationRep:
    I'm aplying to do teaching at YSJ

fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    I would consider resitting my a-levels.

ReputationRep:
    I would throw Bangor and maybe UKC in there, if you're applying to an AAB university.

In fact, I'd probably go:
    UKC
    Bangor
    Nott. Trent
    Dundee
    Chester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    I would consider resitting my a-levels.
    Well, no I'm applying to other places I just think that I should be happy to go anywhere that I've applied. You seem to think that anyone who gets B's/C's should resit :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    I would throw Bangor and maybe UKC in there, if you're applying to an AAB university.

In fact, I'd probably go:
    UKC
    Bangor
    Nott. Trent
    Dundee
    Chester.
    Bangor's too far tbh, I considered that for a while and was set on applying there, but now with my current boyfriend I don't want to move away that far. With Kent I'm finding it hard to find the exact entry requirements, I'll keep it in mind though And I did look into Chester, I think because I haven't heard much about the uni, I would need to visit to see if it's for me

ReputationRep:
    Well, no I'm applying to other places I just think that I should be happy to go anywhere that I've applied. You seem to think that anyone who gets B's/C's should resit :confused:
    Why are you applying to universities ranging from AAB-CCC. That makes no sense.

ReputationRep:
    Well mainly because my form tutor said to have unis going in an order of grades needed, and chances are I wont apply to Nottingham Trent, unless I really like the open day. So 4 will be BCC/CCC, just because I don't want to be left with no offers and no uni, I can have a higher one as my firm, probs Oxford Brookes, and a CCC as insurance. Then I'm sorted

ReputationRep:
    It's the advice in current UCAS application help guides publications that are being distributed in schools and colleges atm.

ReputationRep:
    Well mainly because my form tutor said to have unis going in an order of grades needed, and chances are I wont apply to Nottingham Trent, unless I really like the open day. So 4 will be BCC/CCC, just because I don't want to be left with no offers and no uni, I can have a higher one as my firm, probs Oxford Brookes, and a CCC as insurance. Then I'm sorted
    (Original post by amyyy24)
    It's the advice in current UCAS application help guides publications that are being distributed in schools and colleges atm.
    That's terrible advice and a complete waste of application space.

You should be well aware of what grades are optimistic and realistic and you're choices should be made appropriately. Do you really have no idea where your grades are going to fall between AAB-CCC? I doubt it.

If you're predicted, say, ABB, you should be applying AAB-BBB. The range that has been suggested to you is completely stupid.

ReputationRep:
    That's terrible advice and a complete waste of application space.

You should be well aware of what grades are optimistic and realistic and you're choices should be made appropriately. Do you really have no idea where your grades are going to fall between AAB-CCC? I doubt it.

If you're predicted, say, ABB, you should be applying AAB-BBB. The range that has been suggested to you is completely stupid.
    Well I am predicted about ABB, possibly AAB. But, I still agree with what my teachers have said, apply to one that pushes you, and the rest safe options I guess. I just really don't want to be left with nowhere to go next year, and Psychology is competitive.

ReputationRep:
    and Psychology is competitive.
    As a whole, it's really not that competitive.

ReputationRep:
    As a whole, it's really not that competitive.
    Again, I'm going on the advice from psychology teachers and connexions

ReputationRep:
    Again, I'm going on the advice from psychology teachers and connexions
    Pftt, when was the last time they went through the application and admissions process?

Nine times out of then their advice is terrible. Connexions is even worse.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Pete. Psychology is a large course and yes there's a lot of competition for places BUT when you compare the amount of applications to the amount of course spaces, it's not that hard to get onto a degree in a fairly well respected university. I think the lowest you should be looking at is BBC, otherwise you're just selling yourself short.

Oh, and don't base your university application on proximity to your current relationship!

ReputationRep:
    If your getting those grades you should look at applying at the University of York rather than York St John. If not only for the fact it has a highly rated, popular course I believe and is achievable with AAB predictions I would guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hp92)
    If your getting those grades you should look at applying at the University of York rather than York St John. If not only for the fact it has a highly rated, popular course I believe and is achievable with AAB predictions I would guess.
    I don't have a B in GCSE maths, and York require a B in all AS levels, I got a C in one (2 off a B , so will resit)
    But yeah, I loved York Uni so much, which is why I'm going to see if I like York St John as well

ReputationRep:
    From the looks of your sig, I'm guessing that you really liked the open day then, eh?

Congrats on your offers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam_G)
    From the looks of your sig, I'm guessing that you really liked the open day then, eh?

Congrats on your offers!
    Ah yes I did! It was a million times better than I thought! And the plan for 4 safe options didn't work as the unis changed grade requirements after I applied! But its all worked out good And thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.