Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Capable of grades for top uni, but only with lots of hard work. Is it worth applying? watch

Hi everyone. I'm trying to decide which universities to apply for to read Physics. For AS I got AAA for mathematics, physics and chemistry. But I worked extremely hard (roughly 4 hours on school nights and 3 hours on weekends) to achieve this. So I wouldn't consider myself naturally amazing (and can pick things up very quickly). But someone that can do something well, with lots of practise.

So basically I'm wondering whether I should apply for a university with an AAA offer such as Durham or Warwick. I think I'm capable of maintaining my AS grades and I'm hoping to do well in AS Further Maths which I have picked up. But I'm not sure if I will fit in well if I had to work really hard to achieve this? If nearly everyone else got in with moderate effort, then I wouldn't be on the same sort of level as other people.

What are people's opinions? I'm already applying for Bath which is AAB and Nottingham which is AAB. But if I'm more suited to these kind of universities then I will reconsider other AAB universities. Thanks in advance!

If you believe you are not good enough for the best unis, you will fit your second rate mentality accordingly. If you give yourself the credit you deserve and believe it, you'll get into the top unis.

I think its definitely worth aiming high, you are clearly capable (even if you dont think you are) because you've achieved those grades. Not everyone at university is going to be supremely naturally talented, most will have had to work hard to get where they are.
    If you went to an AAA uni you might get better opportunities and it shows that your motivated, you can always have the lower grades as your insurance choice
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    One thing to consider is that you will still need to work hard at uni - you might even need to work harder - so would you be prepared to do that? Would you be able to do that as if you need to study as much as you say then it could leave you worn out.

Then, ignore the grades. Do you want to go to those unis? Would you be happy there for other reasons? Is the course substantially better or more interesting at any, or would one make you do a compulsory module in something you hate etc?

I think it would be a good idea to aim for at least one higher uni. Then you can see how this school year goes, and see if you get an offer. You can choose to decline the offer.

Look at other aspects of each of the universities: their respective cities, social life, actual course content, rather than just entry grades.
    You won't need any more knowledge on a course with entry grades AAA than one with entry grades of AAB as in first year, a lot of university is just covering basics and ensuring everyone is on a level playing field.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Why not apply to a range of universities and then you can stretch yourself if you feel like it.
What's the best type of cheese?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.