Turn on thread page Beta

Ask a guy who gained 45lbs in 18months anything (with pics) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexy_me)
    Are you as big as OP? Coz I was thinking someone at the height and weight of OP would be quite a bit smaller than what I can see in those pics
    I am 6ft 1 and 180 pounds, i dont know how tall the thread starter is
    i am low body fat which makes quite a difference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carpediemxx)
    I am 6ft 1 and 180 pounds, i dont know how tall the thread starter is
    i am low body fat which makes quite a difference
    He's 5'11. But are you a similar size to OP? Because I know someone who is 6'2 and 175 and someone who is 6'0 and 182 and they both look significantly smaller than OP. Maybe it's because they have more body fat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexy_me)
    He's 5'11. But are you a similar size to OP? Because I know someone who is 6'2 and 175 and someone who is 6'0 and 182 and they both look significantly smaller than OP. Maybe it's because they have more body fat?
    hard to tell in pictures really, and yes fat makes a big difference really, i know some very strong, very small guys but have strong muscles but are lean as hell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Fox)
    You can't isolate regions within your pectoralis major you numbskull! There is no "upper/lower chest" distinction.
    numbskull?

You can definitely put emphasis on different parts of the chest
    there's the Sternocostal head and the Clavicular head (upper chest), which both can be stimulated more by angle.

ReputationRep:
    and Yeah i'm 5'11 (and a half :P)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carpediemxx)
    hard to tell in pictures really, and yes fat makes a big difference really, i know some very strong, very small guys but have strong muscles but are lean as hell
    The second pic is done to make him look big, if he stood far back, so you could see his whole body, i'd bet a bottom dollar he wouldn't look that big at all. Just my two cents.

ReputationRep:
    Brah I need to know my protien requirements why are you leaving me hanging like this!

ReputationRep:

Here's an embaressing picture for anyone thinking I'm short.

This picture is very old from when I first started bulking, I was about 154lbs at this point (from 130lb) and was looking quite fat (noob dirty bulk).

I'm 180lbs now and look much bigger. The guy next to me is 5'8 and isnt a particularly skinny guy.

ReputationRep:
    lol, I look so skinny in that pic - but the face is even better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by craaaig)
    numbskull?

You can definitely put emphasis on different parts of the chest
    there's the Sternocostal head and the Clavicular head (upper chest), which both can be stimulated more by angle.
    I read an interesting article once relating to the electrostimulus of muslces, as in where in the muslce was active during a lift.

The results were quite interesting when they examined training of the pecs, they came to the conclusion that performing flat bench press with the bar touching down around an inch above the knucles stimulated the 'upper' proportion of the pec more than either a 30 or 45 deg incline barbell press.

It is theorised alot of this is due to much greater weight being able to be used in the flat varient amongst all of the people studied (highschool football team, again!!!!).

One thing to note is there are very very few big benching powerlifters without solid 'upper' pecs - if you check out my profile pic I was 109.8kgs in that in 2008, I carry most of my weight on my thighs, bug and back, my arms are stretched out wide and I had never done an incline barbell press in a good 10 years, yet you can still see 'upper' chest.

The evidence was not enough to say it is conclusive in its results but it is certainly a way of thought I would lean towards in what I have seen in people.

ReputationRep:
    Might be safe to just do both then? Because even an incline press will work the whole chest (we know, any chest exercise will use the whole chest). So it doesn't harm to do flat and incline, because at very least it will work the whole chest, and a bonus would be to put emphasis on upper/mid.

ReputationRep:
    An incline press will work the whole chest, but with a whole lot less weight. With the extra range of motion your lats and triceps take more of the weight the chest still only works through the same ROM in real terms.

I'm sure results can be achived with both but I'm not one for overcomplicating things, if your benching heavy and pressing heavy overhead your pretty good.

(Original post by The Question)
    for somone whos been gym 18 months that aint as astounding as you think.
    Can you bench 110? Have you gained between a third and a quarter of your bodyweight again in 18 months? Sit down son.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adidas90)
    Can you bench 110? Have you gained between a third and a quarter of your bodyweight again in 18 months? Sit down son.
    Nah tbh youre right i shouldnt have said anything.

WELL DONE OP I'M NOWHERE NEAR WHERE YOU ARE AND CAN ONLY LOOK AND LIFT LIKE YOU IN MY DREAMS.

ReputationRep:
    I actually gained 4 stone in 18 months between the ages of 17 and 18.5 - it was a combination of lifting weights and that other thing that has a massive impact - getting older and maturing.

ReputationRep:
    And it doesn't just have to be about muscle gain, it can be about personal life, diet, how to lose fat etc etc.

Pic is outdated, but still shows some result.

my arms still suck.
    Hey mate, appreciate this. Well I am trying to bulk up as well but I am struggling with the diet a lot. Couple of questions, firstly, how did you structure what to eat? At the moment, I eat basically the same thing every day, i.e tuna sandwich, chicken sandwich, boiled eggs and I cant do it much longer, the food actually makes me gag now. Also, did you make a diet plan or anything like that? I would really appreciate if you could help me with this as I understand the diet is crucial, cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattGriff)
    I actually gained 4 stone in 18 months between the ages of 17 and 18.5 - it was a combination of lifting weights and that other thing that has a massive impact - getting older and maturing.
    Congratulations, but I'm not suprised. You might have gained half of that reguardless of lifting.

Pro Tip: age 17

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattGriff)
    Brah I need to know my protien requirements why are you leaving me hanging like this!
    sorry buddy, I highly recommend you try to get 1g of protein per 1lb of body weight roughly.

Aim for it, over or slightly under is fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newts2k)
    Hey mate, appreciate this. Well I am trying to bulk up as well but I am struggling with the diet a lot. Couple of questions, firstly, how did you structure what to eat? At the moment, I eat basically the same thing every day, i.e tuna sandwich, chicken sandwich, boiled eggs and I cant do it much longer, the food actually makes me gag now. Also, did you make a diet plan or anything like that? I would really appreciate if you could help me with this as I understand the diet is crucial, cheers
    To be honest, I gag alot if I'm not feeling hungry. But I try and eat every 3 hours max, atleast 700 cals big meals, and minimum 300cal snacks (like a sandwich).

Something I learnt recently is, learn to cook nice things. I don't have a great deal of time as a student but whenever you can, really spend time and cook yourself a nice big meal. When you put alot of effort into making something with nice sauces and fresh meats/veg it doesnt feel like a chore to eat it, it feels really rewarding and it's a change from your regular "food is just substance" meals.

As for the types of foods you should be eating, I'm sure you know the list of complex carbs and meats/veg. But I also recommend cheating once in a while and just eating chocolate cake or something.

Bulk now, cut later.

Dunno if any of this will help you, just soldier on bro

ReputationRep:
    sorry buddy, I highly recommend you try to get 1g of protein per 1lb of body weight roughly.

Aim for it, over or slightly under is fine.
    Indeed I probably would have gained it, and likewise is the story with you.

Why do you recommend that much?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.