Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ask a guy who gained 45lbs in 18months anything (with pics) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    110kg bench - free weight? wtf?!
    yes, for my one rep max.

My working sets (4 sets of 8 reps) is currently at 75kg (could probably push a bit heavier but I'm scared without a spot).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by craaaig)
    Being a student I couldn't afford to get all of my protein in by eating meat alone so, ofcourse I used protein shakes.

Your body absorbs protein best within 30minutes of a workout which is why you should always take some protein powder to the gym with you and neck it as soon as you're done with your workout.

im 15, im not ripped but have a 6pack ish im 8stone 5 ft8 i do mainly cardio vasucular and eat meat such as eggs n stuff

shall i wait till im 16+ and take protein shakes because it might stunt growth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -beads-)
    Don't go OTT. Please.

Some guys have an amazing body and go and ruin it.

I know i'm a girl and you'll say yeah I wanna be massive, it's a man thing, blah blah, but all girls will know what i'm on about.

Well done anyway.

P.S. Is the latter 4 reps for 8 sets or the other way around?
    4 sets for 8 reps

I intend to be as big as possible, I started because I was sick of being so skinny but now It's a hobby. I don't have the genetics to get bodybuilder huge (even if I moved on to steds).

If I had a long term goal at the moment, I'd set it at about 210lbs 8% bodyfat.

ReputationRep:
    I am skinny and want to start, what would you recommend i do (I weight only 10 stone and i am 19), such as how many and for how long? I haven't a clue what to use really lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sendi_12)
    im 15, im not ripped but have a 6pack ish im 8stone 5 ft8 i do mainly cardio vasucular and eat meat such as eggs n stuff

Haha, there's alot of nonsense about protein shakes.

I'm not saying you should take this advice if you feel uncomfortable with it but protein shakes do not cause any harm to your health and definitely don't stunt your growth.

The protein from protein shakes is exactly the same kind of protein you might get from milk/eggs/cheese (depending on the type of protein, whey/caesin).

Protein shakes just have a stigma to them but they are nothing more than a dietary supplement and are usually made from food. It's all natural I promise you.

ReputationRep:

:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilson90)
    I am skinny and want to start, what would you recommend i do (I weight only 10 stone and i am 19), such as how many and for how long? I haven't a clue what to use really lol!
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

check out this link, it should give you alot of the information you need to get started

and I highly recommend it for someone just starting out.

ReputationRep:
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

check out this link, it should give you alot of the information you need to get started

and I highly recommend it for someone just starting out.
    thanks will check it out

ReputationRep:
    Do you feel more confident in your new body?
    More attention from the opposite sex?

ReputationRep:
    If you are 168 lbs in that pic and at that size, then all I can say is, you might have a great body but you will always be a short ass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m0man)
    Do you feel more confident in your new body?
    More attention from the opposite sex?
    yes and no, it's very situational.

Examples:
    Good: I get more eyes from girls
    Bad: People assume I'm stupid/macho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shawshank)
    :facepalm:
    ???

ReputationRep:
    4 sets for 8 reps

I intend to be as big as possible, I started because I was sick of being so skinny but now It's a hobby. I don't have the genetics to get bodybuilder huge (even if I moved on to steds).

If I had a long term goal at the moment, I'd set it at about 210lbs 8% bodyfat.
    Right, that's good for one of my brothers, he's 56kg, 5 foot 9 and looking to bulk, thanks.

Now do you mind if I ask about the other one?

:p:

He's about 80kg, 6 foot, has the potential to be massive but has a heavily busy scheme or work so is going the opposite way.

He wants to look muscular but not massively defined, he used to he around 90kg when he was bulking but has been cutting since and is more defined now.

Last week he told me he aims to get to 70kg by eating healthily and then once he's lost most fat (he's lost a lot and i'm proud ) but still has done, he'll start bulking again, slowly then more intensely with more free time.

1) Firstly, is it okay to cut then bulk the way he has? He's lost a lot of fat, does cardio and mixes in body weight squats and press ups a few times a week but no major weights atm.

2) How can he lose fat but still retain size? This is very important to him.

3) He doesn't want want a massively defined six-pack or anything but he does want big arms (like massive arms :p:), a flat stomach with slightly visible abs but nothing OTT, how would he go about this in terms of diet (which foods do you recommend for firstly weight loss and then secondly to build muscle), cardio, weights?

4) Is it a good idea to cut then bulk like he is for what he wants to achieve? You want to be massive i.e. 210pounds in muscle so you did bulk then cut (or late you'll cut), he wants to be slim but defined so should he go the other way?

5) I know weight loss doesn't equal fat loss and he doesn't care about his weight but he's lost some fat but still has a squishy amount left (lower stomach and slightly on chest, etc), how does he go about getting rid of this?

Thanks a lot for all your help, will pass on the info to my brothers.

And i'll PM you about me, won't be posting any pics in here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexy_me)
    If you are 168 lbs in that pic and at that size, then all I can say is, you might have a great body but you will always be a short ass.
    I'm 5'11.

ReputationRep:
    45lb in what, 81 weeks is nothing special. I gained 25 lbs in 6 months on a bulk.

ReputationRep:
    ???
    What idiot told you that protein shakes stunt growth? :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    Are you stupid?

Serious question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -beads-)
    Right, that's good for one of my brothers, he's 56kg, 5 foot 9 and looking to bulk, thanks.

Now do you mind if I ask about the other one?

:p:

He's about 80kg, 6 foot, has the potential to be massive but has a heavily busy scheme or work so is going the opposite way.

He wants to look muscular but not massively defined, he used to he around 90kg when he was bulking but has been cutting since and is more defined now.

Last week he told me he aims to get to 70kg by eating healthily and then once he's lost most fat (he's lost a lot and i'm proud ) but still has done, he'll start bulking again, slowly then more intensely with more free time.

1) Firstly, is it okay to cut then bulk the way he has? He's lost a lot of fat, does cardio and mixes in body weight squats and press ups a few times a week but no major weights atm.

2) How can he lose fat but still retain size? This is very important to him.

3) He doesn't want want a massively defined six-pack or anything but he does want big arms (like massive arms :p:), a flat stomach with slightly visible abs but nothing OTT, how would he go about this in terms of diet (which foods do you recommend for firstly weight loss and then secondly to build muscle), cardio, weights?

4) Is it a good idea to cut then bulk like he is for what he wants to achieve? You want to be massive i.e. 210pounds in muscle so you did bulk then cut (or late you'll cut), he wants to be slim but defined so should he go the other way?

5) I know weight loss doesn't equal fat loss and he doesn't care about his weight but he's lost some fat but still has a squishy amount left (lower stomach and slightly on chest, etc), how does he go about getting rid of this?

Thanks a lot for all your help, will pass on the info to my brothers.

And i'll PM you about me, won't be posting any pics in here.

It sounds like he's doing the right thing! I would definitely recommend he carries on cutting his bodyfat down until he's happy with it before he bulks up.

At the moment, I assume he is eating a calorie deficit (example: 500 calories less than his BMR)

What I would suggest when he bulks up is go for a routine very much like mine but only eat slightly over maintenance.

I started off skinny and naturally it's always been hard for me to gain fat, but in your brothers case its probably best he doesn't go all out after he's made such a great effort to lose that fat.

He should eat only slightly over his caloric maintenance (500 at most), I'm sure he knows that you can't gain muscle and drop bodyfat efficiently at the same time so he's doing the right thing.

Congratulations and good luck to him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexy_me)
    45lb in what, 81 weeks is nothing special. I gained 25 lbs in 6 months on a bulk.
    I'm sure it was very lean, well gz bro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 296)
    Are you stupid?

Serious question.
    No, what makes you ask?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.