Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ask a guy who gained 45lbs in 18months anything (with pics) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Creatine? I'm guessing no? Good work brah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by craaaig)
    It sounds like he's doing the right thing! I would definitely recommend he carries on cutting his bodyfat down until he's happy with it before he bulks up.

At the moment, I assume he is eating a calorie deficit (example: 500 calories less than his BMR)

What I would suggest when he bulks up is go for a routine very much like mine but only eat slightly over maintenance.

I started off skinny and naturally it's always been hard for me to gain fat, but in your brothers case its probably best he doesn't go all out after he's made such a great effort to lose that fat.

He should eat only slightly over his caloric maintenance (500 at most), I'm sure he knows that you can't gain muscle and drop bodyfat efficiently at the same time so he's doing the right thing.

Congratulations and good luck to him
    That's exactly what I told him! Maybe I should take over the thread.

I did fail at which exercises were most effective for fat loss though and which diet. Can you help there?

I told him about the 500 kcal cut (since I did this myself to go from size 12 to 8) but I had a diet and exercise plan which he doesn't.

Can you help there?

Atm, he's just doing cross trainer a few times a week and press ups / body weight squats.

It works but I don't want him to plateau so suggestions would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whiplash)
    Creatine? I'm guessing no? Good work brah.
    I was taking in creatine when I was using Maximuscle's Cyclone for the first couple months, but whenever I tried a creatine monohydrate on it's own I never saw the affects so I didn't bother after that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shawshank)
    What idiot told you that protein shakes stunt growth? :toofunny:
    not that but if i do weights + protein shakes i will stunt it? thats why i do little but more cardio + endurance

ReputationRep:
    Anything eh?

Why do men have nipples?

ReputationRep:
    No, what makes you ask?

Oh it's OK, you've answered my question here:

I was taking in creatine when I was using Maximuscle's Cyclone for the first couple months, but whenever I tried a creatine monohydrate on it's own I never saw the affects so I didn't bother after that

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it was very lean, well gz bro.
    It was fairly. Started at 119lbs and went to about 145lbs in 6 months. Obviously there was fat gains but since I started at about 5% bf I need the fat and would be surprised if I went above 10% at the end of that bulk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -beads-)
    That's exactly what I told him! Maybe I should take over the thread.

I did fail at which exercises were most effective for fat loss though and which diet. Can you help there?

I told him about the 500 kcal cut (since I did this myself to go from size 12 to 8) but I had a diet and exercise plan which he doesn't.

Can you help there?
    Well, spot reduction is a myth really. You can't burn fat from a specific area, because your body chooses where it wants to take the energy (Fat) from.

Cardio is the best all rounder for burning fat.

I would recommend now though (if he plans to get into gaining muscle soon) that he adds the basic compound lifts, Bench Press, Deadlift, and Squat to his cardio sessions. They will help him maintain muscles (alot of muscle can be lost during fat loss because your body doesn't have the nutrition to support it).

Personally if I was to be cutting fat (I've not had to yet, but will later next year), I would be eating moderate fat, high protein and low carbs.

I can't really suggest a diet without knowing his BMR, but I'm sure you know which foods are good. All the proteins and vegetables are good. Allow good fats (from meats, diary etc) and keep carbs low.

(Just incase you didn't know, eating fat doesn't mean it goes straight to fat, it's much easier to burn off during the day than it is carbs, which is why low carbs will result in a better fat loss)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan1992)
    what is your favourite colour?
    Blue, definitely blue.

I think blue can portray a large spectrum of emotions.

for example:

Blue can be the sky of a summers day, bright and joyful, alternatively it can be the deep dark night sky, full of wonder and thought.

(no homo)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FiveFiveSix)
    Anything eh?

Why do men have nipples?
    Men have nipples because we were at one point female in the womb and they had begun to develop before our androgynous characteristics.

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by craaaig
    No, what makes you ask?

Oh it's OK, you've answered my question here:

Originally Posted by craaaig
    And confirmed it here:

Blue, definitely blue.

I think blue can portray a large spectrum of emotions.

for example:

Blue can be the sky of a summers day, bright and joyful, alternatively it can be the deep dark night sky, full of wonder and thought.

(no homo)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexy_me)
    It was fairly. Started at 119lbs and went to about 145lbs in 6 months. Obviously there was fat gains but since I started at about 5% bf I need the fat and would be surprised if I went above 10% at the end of that bulk.
    5%? goddamn, no wonder you gained alot of weight. Bodybuilders have a hard time maintaining 5% for competitions...

ReputationRep:
    Men have nipples because we were at one point female in the womb and they had begun to develop before our androgynous characteristics.
    Indeed. As an aside, good work.

ReputationRep:
    What people who want to bulk with mostly muscle need to know is really, really simple. You need to eat a lot of food. I mean a lot. It can be junk if it has high nutritional value e.g. a pizza with 40g protein, but not cakes and crisps etc.

Also you need to lift heavy and do compound lifts. Finally you need to be consistent over months and months. Simple but not easy.

ReputationRep:
    what kind of routine did you start off on? a bodybuilding routine or a strength one like SS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I-Am-God)
    what kind of routine did you start off on? a bodybuilding routine or a strength one like SS?
    I went straight into a hypertrophy routine, but this is because I wasn't aware of the benefits of ss/sl's at that time.

About mid way I changed my reps to 5x5 on my compounds for a while.

I understand why a strength routine is a good idea to start with and that it has it's advantages but I definitely don't think it's necessary.

ReputationRep:
    5%? goddamn, no wonder you gained alot of weight. Bodybuilders have a hard time maintaining 5% for competitions...
    Yup. I was much more boney than you in the first pic. I had great stamina, funnily enough, a great cross country runner and could do about 30 pushups. But I needed a lot of mass and did pretty much the same as you; I did SS before moving onto a routine with 8 reps and ate whatever.

Changed my life a lot, like confidence and everything. Same with you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexy_me)
    Yup. I was much more boney than you in the first pic. I had great stamina, funnily enough, a great cross country runner and could do about 30 pushups. But I needed a lot of mass and did pretty much the same as you; I did SS before moving onto a routine with 8 reps and ate whatever.

Changed my life a lot, like confidence and everything. Same with you?
    I became a bit of a social recluse, I stopped drinking alcohol and I'm concerned with eating all the time, I think eating is more important than any social event now.

But yeah, everyone 'mirin now.

I've started drinking again recently and going out but I don't let myself get drunk, just tipsy and as soon as I get home I neck a protein shake and take a zinc tablet.

Kinda ***** with social aspects a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sendi_12)
    not that but if i do weights + protein shakes i will stunt it? thats why i do little but more cardio + endurance
    If you break bones/injure yourself massively then maybe, but the actually lifting isn't going to stunt anything. As long as you learn techniques properly it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    Well, spot reduction is a myth really. You can't burn fat from a specific area, because your body chooses where it wants to take the energy (Fat) from.

Cardio is the best all rounder for burning fat.

I would recommend now though (if he plans to get into gaining muscle soon) that he adds the basic compound lifts, Bench Press, Deadlift, and Squat to his cardio sessions. They will help him maintain muscles (alot of muscle can be lost during fat loss because your body doesn't have the nutrition to support it).

Personally if I was to be cutting fat (I've not had to yet, but will later next year), I would be eating moderate fat, high protein and low carbs.

I can't really suggest a diet without knowing his BMR, but I'm sure you know which foods are good. All the proteins and vegetables are good. Allow good fats (from meats, diary etc) and keep carbs low.

(Just incase you didn't know, eating fat doesn't mean it goes straight to fat, it's much easier to burn off during the day than it is carbs, which is why low carbs will result in a better fat loss)
    Repped you hun.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.