Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Ask a guy who gained 45lbs in 18months anything (with pics) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wenger)
    I bet the OP cannot run for ****. He had a slim, athletic build before, now you look out of proportionate and your stamina is probably about 13 seconds. Where in your exercise plan is 'AEROBIC EXERCISE'?
    You're an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Is it of importance regarding when you work out in relation to carbohydrates and protein intake? I heard that it's best to work out after you've had a heavily proportioned carbohydrate meal (e.g. after lunch) and before the main meal of the day containing the most protein (e.g. before dinner).

Also, would you say that a gym membership is really required for someone who doesn't take bodybuilding extremely seriously but is aiming for a similar body to that of Brad Pitt in his Fight Club days? Currently I'm 17 years of age and 10st, and this is my starting routine (but please say if you advise anything should be changed):

Monday - Chest (dumbbell flyes and dumbbell presses) / Abs (crunches)
    Tuesday - Shoulders (dumbbell shoulder presses and lateral raises) / Overall (push ups and the plank)
    Thursday - Back (still need to decide what's best for this with my lack of equipment or knowledge) / Abs
    Friday - Biceps (dumbbell curls) / Triceps (pull downs and chair dips) / Overall

My legs are already quite large so I won't focus on them unless they start to look disproportionate.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    will reply more in 10min, just cooking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by craaaig)
    And it doesn't just have to be about muscle gain, it can be about personal life, diet, how to lose fat etc etc.

Pic is outdated, but still shows some result.
    Well done on the progress. I wont be able to squat for a few months, because i wont have access to a squat rack. Would it be possible to substitute a squat with a deadlift or something else and still see results.

ReputationRep:
    You will get better and quicker muscular development from Free Weights, machines tend to isolate one muscle part and lock out supporting muscles and stabilisers.

For example a chest press machine would put all the stress onto your chest and a tiny bit on your triceps meaning that your chest would get a workout but it wouldn't be optimum.

If you did a chest press with dumbells, your back, triceps, shoulders, serratus and other muscles will be used and overall strength and size will be attained much more efficiently.

If I'm looking to try my 1 rep max I usually do it at the start of the workout session. Typically your working set weight will be 70-80% of your 1 rep max. But it varies for everyone ofcourse.
    Ah k thanks.

Also sometimes after workouts I get a sore feeling in my muscles.
    Usually this is due to the lactic acid from cardiovascular anaerobic runs, but im starting to think that maybe purely lifting weights may be causing me to get the same sore feeling in my muscles.

What are your experiences with this?

ReputationRep:
    And it doesn't just have to be about muscle gain, it can be about personal life, diet, how to lose fat etc etc.

Do you have any videos of your lifts

ReputationRep:
    could'v taken your vest off in the right pic

ReputationRep:
    Nice job, well done.

ReputationRep:
    This is good inspiration

ReputationRep:

:dontknow: i just dont think the pics are fair because you're wearing a top in the 2nd one:p:

Personal life question:
    what makes you smile?

ReputationRep:
    what effect did the increased calorie intake have on your face? Did it puff up or stayed the same?

ReputationRep:
    I think the greatest effect would be achieved if you weren't wearing the vest and standing in the same stance as the original picture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sendi_12)
    im 15, im not ripped but have a 6pack ish im 8stone 5 ft8 i do mainly cardio vasucular and eat meat such as eggs n stuff

shall i wait till im 16+ and take protein shakes because it might stunt growth
    Just, LOL.

ReputationRep:
    Well done! Great results

ReputationRep:
    I actually prefer the picture on the left

ReputationRep:
    Monday: Chest/Triceps
    Tuesday: Back/Biceps
    Thursday: Shoulders
    Friday: Legs

the exercises changed as I progressed, I started with 5x5 on compound lifts (Bench Press, Squats, Deadlifts, OHP). But moved to 4x8 eventually and adding more isolation exercises as I went along.

I'm currently 177lbs (I'm 168lbs in that left picture) and I'm aiming for 200lbs by March before I cut my bodyfat down to about 8%.
    Hi mate, well done on current progress. I get down the gym when I can (just starting a new routine) and I can see some of the benefits. My question is, how did you first start doing some of the compound lifts (specifically Squats and Deadlifts)? I mean, I know what they are but I don't want to perform them wrong and for some reason I find it hard to ask some of the huge people in the gym.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Its bad to take protein shakes without a proper diet. It can have a negative effect when you get older: around the the age of 35-40.

ReputationRep:
    What other hobbies do you have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempa)
    Its bad to take protein shakes without a proper diet. It can have a negative effect when you get older: around the the age of 35-40.
    Shakes are a supplement, not a substitute.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandomIsGood)
    Ah k thanks.

Also sometimes after workouts I get a sore feeling in my muscles.
    Usually this is due to the lactic acid from cardiovascular anaerobic runs, but im starting to think that maybe purely lifting weights may be causing me to get the same sore feeling in my muscles.

What are your experiences with this?

DOMS, google it. Delayed onset muscle soreness.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 29, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.