Turn on thread page Beta

Ask a guy who gained 45lbs in 18months anything (with pics) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skull-Crusher)
    Yeh i understand.

Did you hurt your back because of bad technique?

Also i agree with you about your biceps, they are quite small, what are your lifts for your biceps like and triceps?

I barbell curl 45kg and close grip bench for tricep 65kg.

PS: what does hey /fit/ mean? lol
    I dunno man, I'm really lazy when it comes to workout arms, that's why they loook pretty ****.

Back/chest/shoulder workouts hit them enough, chins n that.

I've always had a bad back, I have minor lordosis, I think I properly pulled it out when going for a 1rm of 140kg about 10months back now, and I'd done all my working sets and I guess my form just got lazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by craaaig)
    I dunno man, I'm really lazy when it comes to workout arms, that's why they loook pretty ****.

Back/chest/shoulder workouts hit them enough, chins n that.

I've always had a bad back, I have minor lordosis, I think I properly pulled it out when going for a 1rm of 140kg about 10months back now, and I'd done all my working sets and I guess my form just got lazy.
    Not good. Id say for the next month focus on your arms.

Your workout isnt hitting them enough tbh. You dont want to look disproportionate.

Oh right, tbh i find this whole 1 rep max kinda stupid and a lot of injuries are caused. There is no point doing it and in my opinion doesnt show how strong you are. So no offence its kinda your fault in a way for trying to go too heavy even with the back problem.

Good form is key, i think thats one of the reasons ive made good progress, just take it slowly and feel the burn and dont jerk your body (i see that a lot and i just shake my head).

Btw im not hating or anything just advicing, but yeh focus on arms this month, perform everything with good form and stop doing 1 rep max its pointless and will lead to injury.

Good luck

ReputationRep:

Your workout isnt hitting them enough tbh. You dont want to look disproportionate.

Oh right, tbh i find this whole 1 rep max kinda stupid and a lot of injuries are caused. There is no point doing it and in my opinion doesnt show how strong you are. So no offence its kinda your fault in a way for trying to go too heavy even with the back problem.

Good form is key, i think thats one of the reasons ive made good progress, just take it slowly and feel the burn and dont jerk your body (i see that a lot and i just shake my head).

Btw im not hating or anything just advicing, but yeh focus on arms this month, perform everything with good form and stop doing 1 rep max its pointless and will lead to injury.

Good luck

My form is usually very strict, it was just a bad day.

Not sure I'll take your advice on focusing on my arms though, but will probably do a couple more isolations :yep:

ReputationRep:
    You strike me as one of those guys who work out the 'show off' muscles and neglect others.

Granted you hurt yourself doing squats/deadlifsts, you shouldn't neglect them entirely, just drop the weight to medium and go for it.

As for your bench...thats bad. I was hitting 90KG within 4 months of starting from scratch but I wasn't doing it right and just a month ago I've started a 5, 3, 1 program and just put my bench down to a maximum of 60-65KG. if you look up the program you can increase the weight by 5% every 4 weeks. Are you doing proper bench form too? Arched back, feet locked on the floor, using your arms/chest only and not the shoulders?

And as for those who say "biceps are small" well, size isn't relative to strength I'm afraid so don't be mistaken.

Also Op, you should do powercleans+jerk and overhead squats. THOSE are something to knock you out in training. Very few do them but they are rewarding in strength gains.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HARRY PUTAH)
    You strike me as one of those guys who work out the 'show off' muscles and neglect others.

Granted you hurt yourself doing squats/deadlifsts, you shouldn't neglect them entirely, just drop the weight to medium and go for it.

As for your bench...thats bad. I was hitting 90KG within 4 months of starting from scratch but I wasn't doing it right and just a month ago I've started a 5, 3, 1 program and just put my bench down to a maximum of 60-65KG. if you look up the program you can increase the weight by 5% every 4 weeks. Are you doing proper bench form too? Arched back, feet locked on the floor, using your arms/chest only and not the shoulders?

And as for those who say "biceps are small" well, size isn't relative to strength I'm afraid so don't be mistaken.

Also Op, you should do powercleans+jerk and overhead squats. THOSE are something to knock you out in training. Very few do them but they are rewarding in strength gains.
    I still do Squat and Deadlift, I work my whole body every week. Infact my quads are probably my best looking bodypart.

I don't train for strength by the way, and yes I have strict form on all my lifts.

ReputationRep:
    I still do Squat and Deadlift, I work my whole body every week. Infact my quads are probably my best looking bodypart.

I don't train for strength by the way, and yes I have strict form on all my lifts.

You don't train fro strength?

yet you said you don't do it for the 'look' either.

Please tell me you don't do it for the mirro-type pretty boys I see at the gyms I've been too, it makes me palmface.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't been on TSR in nearly a year, had no idea there was a misc presence

ReputationRep:
    You don't train fro strength?

yet you said you don't do it for the 'look' either.

Please tell me you don't do it for the mirro-type pretty boys I see at the gyms I've been too, it makes me palmface.
    Weightlifting is all about strength hence lifting heavier and by lifting heavier you gain mass and also makes you healthier. I dont understand either :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EatThyCorn)
    Haven't been on TSR in nearly a year, had no idea there was a misc presence
    you're aware brah

ReputationRep:

Good luck
    lol

ReputationRep:
    Everyone aware, everyone mad, everyone jelly, everyone mirin, everyone hatin'.

I started training because I was underweight and hated my body, now it's just a hobby to get bigger, but I also enjoy being healthier, being stronger etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megaloblastic)
    lol
    haha

ReputationRep:
    Weightlifting is all about strength hence lifting heavier and by lifting heavier you gain mass and also makes you healthier. I dont understand either :confused:

Nah, theres strength and then there are the posers.

Strength = all round
    Looks = Biceps, maaaybe tris, chest, upper back into a V-shape, most find that hard because they dont know how and traps.

I prefer strength and I only ever work out my biceps twice a week doing 2 routines - all structured of course.

I prefer compund lifts and olympic lifts on separate days (4 in total) working at sub-optimal weights and using 2-3 (at most) assistance exercises for the workout in question.

Anybodycan pick up a barbell or DBs and play with them for a bit and get a defined look over the period of a few months but will they be as strong as the guy using most, if not all compound exercises to their best potential?

Nowhere near.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, theres strength and then there are the posers.

Strength = all round
    Looks = Biceps, maaaybe tris, chest, upper back into a V-shape, most find that hard because they dont know how and traps.

I prefer strength and I only ever work out my biceps twice a week doing 2 routines - all structured of course.

I prefer compund lifts and olympic lifts on separate days (4 in total) working at sub-optimal weights and using 2-3 (at most) assistance exercises for the workout in question.

Anybodycan pick up a barbell or DBs and play with them for a bit and get a defined look over the period of a few months but will they be as strong as the guy using most, if not all compound exercises to their best potential?

Nowhere near.
    Could you name the exercises that you do for your routine.

ReputationRep:
    My routine currently is:

Monday: Chest
    Flat Barbell bench 4x8
    Incline Dumbell press 3x8
    Weighted dips 3xf
    Incline dumbell flies 3x10
    Tricep extensions
    Tricep dips

Tuesday: Back
    Deadlifts 4x8
    Barbell Rows 4x8
    Single Arm Rows 3x8
    Chinups 3xf
    2 bicep isolations

Thursday: Shoulders
    Overhead Press 4x8
    Lateral raises 3x10
    Reverse flies 3x10
    Upright rows 3x8
    Shrugs 3x20

Friday: Legs
    Squats 4x8
    Leg extensions 3x10
    Calve raises 3x20
    Ham curls 3x10

I only recently changed to 4x8 on my compound lifts, before then it was 5x5.

ReputationRep:
    I sample diet of mine would be:

Breakfast:
    4 XL Eggs scambled with cheese/butter/milk
    2 slices wholewheat bread
    1 bowl of oats
    1 glass of milk/orange juice

Snack:
    2 slices wholewhat bread with tuna, apple

Then I goto the gym

Weight gainer shake after the gym

Lunch: 2 jacket potatoes with beans, tuna on the side

Snack: Cottage cheese, pitta bread, salad, glass of milk

Dinner: 600-700 cals worth of Wholewheat pasta, 2 chicken breasts, brocolli, cheese sauce, glass of water

Snack: A junk food snack, like some crisps, chocolate, whatever I feel like

Before bed: 1 pint of milk, cereal/some light carb food.

You should always eat good complex carbs
    Carbs: Brown rice, Wholewheat pitta/bread/pasta, Cereals, Potatoes
    Protein: Tuna, Fish, Chicken, Steak - any meat really
    And always some green veg

Take a good multivitamin every day, and 15mg of zinc
    I am actually going to live by this diet from now on. I'm also really skinny, 135 lbs and 6"2', and find it hard to gain any weight. How did you manage to eat so much though, does it get easier after a while?

ReputationRep:
    I'm still lol'ing hard at this thread.

To the guy above, how the f*ck are you so skinny? Eat untill you feel sick.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry mate, but you look like a weasel.

ReputationRep:
    My routine currently is:

Monday: Chest
    Flat Barbell bench 4x8
    Incline Dumbell press 3x8
    Weighted dips 3xf
    Incline dumbell flies 3x10
    Tricep extensions
    Tricep dips

Tuesday: Back
    Deadlifts 4x8
    Barbell Rows 4x8
    Single Arm Rows 3x8
    Chinups 3xf
    2 bicep isolations

Thursday: Shoulders
    Overhead Press 4x8
    Lateral raises 3x10
    Reverse flies 3x10
    Upright rows 3x8
    Shrugs 3x20

Friday: Legs
    Squats 4x8
    Leg extensions 3x10
    Calve raises 3x20
    Ham curls 3x10

I only recently changed to 4x8 on my compound lifts, before then it was 5x5.
    Thats basically my routine although i dont do "single arm rows" and i do weighted "wide grip pull-ups" and instead of "weighted dips" i do normal dips and close grip bench.

Also i work 1 muscle group a day.

Currently: Monday - Chest, Tuesday - Back, Wednesday - Shoulders, Thursday - Biceps, Friday - Triceps and Saturday - Legs.

I also run 6 days a week roughly 3-4 miles a day. 2-3 days of my runs i do HIIT for 20 minutes which also equals 3-4 miles.

PS: Also Crunches with 15kg behind head. With reverse crunches and side crunches (not with weights though)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raimu)
    I am actually going to live by this diet from now on. I'm also really skinny, 135 lbs and 6"2', and find it hard to gain any weight. How did you manage to eat so much though, does it get easier after a while?
    Jeez. I know someone who is 6'1" and 145lbs and is one of the skinniest people I know. You must be like a rake

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.