Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

teach me to run! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I want to start running, everyone I speak to who runs alot, say the love it, and I'd like to shift a bit of weight, so I want to start!

I'm not a big fat fatty but I'm really unfit, if I run for 2 mins I get so out of breath, its ridiculous. You got any tips on how to get going and build up to a routine? Should I just go for it gung ho or ease into it? I'm a bit dense when it comes to exercise!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    1. Put your right foot on the floor.

2. Put your left foot in front of the right.

3. Put your right foot in front of the left.

4. Repeat stages 2 and 3 quickly.

ReputationRep:
    You should start to run each day more and more.
    Start by running 100 m and increase gradually.

There is no special technique just run as you fell comfortable and if you maintain a schedule and keep motivated you can become fit in 1 month.

If you want to practice you can use a treadmill and also i suggest listening to music while running .

ReputationRep:
    so i should run everyday? not like 3/4 times a week?

ReputationRep:
    If there is a parkrun near to you, that would be the ideal starting ground I reckon. Ok, I know its 5k and you say you get out of breath after 2 mins, but build up to running for about 20 mins straight and then go do the parkrun. Details at www.parkrun.com

ReputationRep:
    Wear some comfortable shoes and start off walking, if you do lots of walking already then try to find somewhere where you can walk up-hill as this will be a lot more challenging. Do this every day for a week or two (or until it no longer gets you out of breath).

Then you should be ready to start running 4-5 days a week, which is plenty, especially if you're starting out as you will need time to recover.

ReputationRep:
    Check this site out. It's not about running, but could save you a hell of a lot of boring runs.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...fun_with_women

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)

LoL :bl:

ReputationRep:
    Just start slow and steady. Do some light jogging and if you feel tired, then just slow down to a walk. One huge tip I have is: stretching. Don't sit down after you run because your muscles will cramp up. Make sure to stretch well both before and after.

ReputationRep:
    I wont start by doing too much, but a gradual increase in distance and go every 2 days or so. Or even everyday, as I actually find myself happier after a little exercise. Start by going at half pace and try maintaining it, and I suggest you stretch beforehand
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You need the couch 2 5k plan. The actual outline is here.

But it's hard to measure distance/time when you're running, so let's have some music with inbuilt cues. This is probably the best known; this is an alternative, or this may be more your thing.

3 times a week, and if you stick to it you'll be running 5k in no time!

ReputationRep:
    Just jog for however long feels comfortable for you, 3/4 times a week. Do this for 2-3 weeks to build some basic running fitness. After that you can try increasing your speed/duration slightly more to build yourself up to a higher level. It just takes commitment, that's all. When you're feeling more confident you can start incorporating things like HIIT and hill training which will develop you more as a runner.

ReputationRep:
    It's quite simple, really. To help motivate you, have one of your friends drive alongside you, holding out a stick with a chocolate bar on the end, and have your neighbour's rottweiler tagging along behind you. You'll be setting a record-breaking pace in no time.

This.

ReputationRep:

Woooooahhhh dude slow down!

We're not all experts. K, I'm starting with step 1... how to move to 2? :confused:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Juno)
    You need the couch 2 5k plan. The actual outline is here.
    EXACTLY THIS. Get some decent footwear (find your local running shop - cost a little more than from JD Sports but proper advice from proper runners is invaluable) and follow the 5k plan linked to. Walk/run is how to start - convince your body that it can exercise for 20 minutes, even if you are only running for 5 of them and walking the rest. The plan builds you up nicely.

ReputationRep:
    Get some decent running trainers if you are serious about taking up running, having good shoes supports your running and makes it a lot easier.
    Get some music to start with - eventually you might discard it as annoying but for now, concentrate on the music, getting to the end of the song you are listening to and starting a new song, getting to the end of that and so on.
    Consider C25K as a starting block to have some structure to building up, but also don't be afraid to get out there, set the bar high and reach the target faster than you would with C25K.
    Enter an event, nothing like the threat of not finishing a race to spur your training on a bit.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.