Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    See here for more http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11412031

'Ed Miliband is the new Labour leader, it has been announced at a special conference in Manchester.

He beat brother David by the wafer thin margin of 50.65% to 49.35% after second, third and fourth preference votes came into play.

Ed Balls was third, Andy Burnham fourth and Diane Abbott last in the ballot of Labour members and trade unionists.

Mr Miliband, 40, replaces acting leader Harriet Harman in the contest triggered by the resignation of Gordon Brown.

He paid tribute to each of his fellow candidates in turn and told the conference: "Today we draw a line under this contest and move forward united as a team."

The shadow energy secretary appears to have benefited from a last-minute surge of support before voting in the postal ballot closed on Wednesday.

Older brother David won a majority of support from Labour's MPs at Westminster, but appears to have been defeated due to Ed's dominance among trade unions and grassroots activists in Labour's electoral college voting system.
    '

How do you feel about it?

ReputationRep:
    Page not found.....
    Here

ReputationRep:
    I wanted David to win but now I am looking forward to seeing what Ed Miliband will be like as a leader and maybe Prime Minister.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Pieb)
    Page not found.....
    Sorry, fixed now.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, because nobody saw that one coming...

ReputationRep:
    I'm very happy about it

ReputationRep:
    Huzzah! Couldn't be happier!!

ReputationRep:
    Wahhh

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Go Eddie!!

ReputationRep:
    Don't think Labour will have a chance in winning the election. Still think it would a Conservative government when the election looms.

The coalition government still needs to sort out Labour's mess.

On the Labour Leadership:
    Ed Milliband is too left wing. Don't like it.

Must be gutting to be in David's shoes, his lost to his YOUNGER BROTHER and his MONOBROW.

ReputationRep:
    Bad decision.

He looks weird.

ReputationRep:
    it's interesting how when the candidates walked out after hearing the results, David was beaming and Ed was looking pretty sad.

ReputationRep:
    It must be hard for David to see his brother in the position he would have been expecting himself to be in.

I hope they forgive each other...

ReputationRep:
    Interesting how he saw off Ed Balls. :rofl:

But seriously well done to him and hopefully we will have a Labour Party that is accountable to the public.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gildartz)
    it's interesting how when the candidates walked out after hearing the results, David was beaming and Ed was looking pretty sad.
    Ed was probably like 'Look straight faced, don't give anything away...' and David was thinking 'Ohhh **** - pretend not too look too upset...' :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too bothered, but I preferred David.

ReputationRep:
    David 49.35 % Ed 50.65 %

Very close

ReputationRep:
    Excellent, probably the best I could have hoped for. The thought of that war mongering torturer with any real power again made me feel a bit ill.

Doubt it'll be enough to bring me back to Labour though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Male_Melons)

The coalition government still needs to sort out Labour's mess.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I expected David to win. At least it wasn't Ed Balls.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.