The Student Room Group

Money grants if parents never went to uni?

My sixth form said that if your parents never went to university and you are going (e.g. me and I'm sure many others) then you are eligible to some form of bursary from the government because you are 'over-achieving' as 'it isnt in your family to go to university'.

Is any of the above true, or is there no grant at all? I only ask because I seem to have missed out on every single bursary/grant because I cannot achieve the top grades, and because my families income is in a too high bracket...but none of my family have been to university.

thanks
Reply 1
news to me! I wait other opinions
Reply 2
I didn't get any extra :nope:
This kind of grant is university specific. Most do not offer it.
Reply 4
I think some uni's might give extra grants but I'm not sure about from the government. It did ask on the UCAS form though. I can't remember where I was looking at (possibly Edinburgh) and it said they gave you extra points or something if neither of your parents went to uni and you were the first one. I'd like more money though, my parents earn too much for a lot of things (like EMA now)
To be fair, when most of our parents were at that age hardly anybody went. Now, you hardly have to be a "high achiever" to get to uni, let's be honest. You can get there with EE and the ability to wipe your own ass, and tbh from some of the people I see hanging around this forum I find even that doubtful!
Not that i know of and ive been at uni 3yrs now! Are you sure its not for one particular uni
fishkeeper
My sixth form said that if your parents never went to university and you are going (e.g. me and I'm sure many others) then you are eligible to some form of bursary from the government because you are 'over-achieving' as 'it isnt in your family to go to university'.

Is any of the above true, or is there no grant at all? I only ask because I seem to have missed out on every single bursary/grant because I cannot achieve the top grades, and because my families income is in a too high bracket...but none of my family have been to university.

thanks

I don't think it SHOULD be true. My parents didn't go, nor did a few of my friends, but it doesn't make us more deserving. If you went to a decent school theres no reason you should be awarded for going to Uni.
any such grants that may exist are nothing to do with the government.

Latest

Trending

Trending