Turn on thread page Beta

Freshers Flu: what's the best remedy? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As it says in the title...

Any ideas or secret tips? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    It depends what kind of freshers flu, as it varies depending on what everyone has brought with them!
    Some people just get a bit of a cold, some people get flu and if you're really unlucky your whole halls will get hit by stomach flu/swine flu (lucky us, eh).
    The best thing you can do is keep your diet as good as possible- lots of fresh fruit, veg, fruit juice etc. Keep lemsips & paracetamol in stock.. a good old lemsip solves everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wikipedia)
    The most likely cause is the convergence of large numbers of people arriving from all over the world, many of whom carry germs to which they are immune, but others have not had a chance to acquire the necessary immunity.[3] The poor diet and heavy consumption of alcohol during Freshers Week is also reported as a cause for many of the illnesses contracted during this time. "Stress, which may be induced by tiredness, combined with a poor diet, late nights and too much alcohol, can weaken the immune system and be a recipe for ill health. All this can make students more susceptible to infections within their first weeks of term."
    now you know what you must avoid.

ReputationRep:
    Drink your Drink Fresher!

Just drink through it.

ReputationRep:
    those fizzing vitamin C tablets you dissolve in water...
    i owe them so much

ReputationRep:
    some might saying shagging one is the cure, lol

ReputationRep:
    Sleep, Lemsip, lemon and honey tea and isolation from all my sick flatmates are making symptoms lessen...

ReputationRep:
    Just gotta man up. Sorry love

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexy_me)
    Just gotta man up. Sorry love

Yeah, can't exactly 'man' up, because I am a girl! Ha! :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitkatbitesize)
    those fizzing vitamin C tablets you dissolve in water...
    i owe them so much
    Oooh, isn't that called Berrocca or something? I've heard they are gooooooooood.
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Omg, I've been downing like boots on brand cough medicine. I keep losing my voice, not good considering I work in a call centre :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyrical_lie)
    Omg, I've been downing like boots on brand cough medicine. I keep losing my voice, not good considering I work in a call centre :p:

Noooo way! Me too! I've been hit hard because of this Flu... my 'voice' has turned into a whisper... nose is as red as a tomato.. (not a good look) and I was meant to work yesterday and today and I work in a call-centre too... so couldn't exactly go in.. :-/

ReputationRep:
    I had paracetamol and just went about my normal business. Staying in bed all day just makes you feel worse IMO. Going out takes your mind off it. Nothing you can really do except drink fluids, have paracetamol and sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyJazzles)
    Oooh, isn't that called Berrocca or something? I've heard they are gooooooooood.
    I don't know, I get mine from sainsburys, they're just in this orange tube in the pharmacy section.
    I was practically living off them at the end of the summer though,
    I completely lost my voice and i swear they cured me
    They taste pretty good too

ReputationRep:
    just man up.
    it only lasts a month or two

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyJazzles)
    Boots own brand is just as good - or just Vitamin C ones, start taking them early and I find they get rid of the cold faster and it's milder. Won't work on real flu of course!

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol! It numbs the pain.

ReputationRep:
    1) Paracetomol

2) High caffeine drink e.g. mountain dew

3) Moderate exercise

4) A small amount of whisky a few times a day.

5) Generally keep hydrated (not alcohol)

ReputationRep:
    use that first defence nasal spray! it's good

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone! All your suggestions are great =D
    Definitely going to start taking these supplements!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 25, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.