Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Been with my boyfriend a while, am very much into him but as of late it's begun to get to me how different we are, personality wise.

I'm female, 23 and very passionate and extrovert. He's 24, fairly introvert (sometimes fairly loud if with friends) and very very laid back.

I guess what's bothering me is his lack of passion for anything other than his desired career. For example when we disagree on something and fall out, we can both say some really offensive things to each other which hurt me pretty badly and i want to discuss and talk about the issues properly but he seems to forget all about them and just be so fickle about things. He just never seems truly bothered about our relationship and wether we're happy or not. I know i can over analyse and obsess about things, but he seems the opposite to me - just completely laid back and relaxed and it just seems to cause problems.

I'm currently living at his with his parents and the whole situation is driving me crazy - i feel like a crazy freak and totally over the top & neurotic :'(

ReputationRep:
    He's a guy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Been with my boyfriend a while, am very much into him but as of late it's begun to get to me how different we are, personality wise.

I'm female, 23 and very passionate and extrovert. He's 24, fairly introvert (sometimes fairly loud if with friends) and very very laid back.

I guess what's bothering me is his lack of passion for anything other than his desired career. For example when we disagree on something and fall out, we can both say some really offensive things to each other which hurt me pretty badly and i want to discuss and talk about the issues properly but he seems to forget all about them and just be so fickle about things. He just never seems truly bothered about our relationship and wether we're happy or not. I know i can over analyse and obsess about things, but he seems the opposite to me - just completely laid back and relaxed and it just seems to cause problems.

I'm currently living at his with his parents and the whole situation is driving me crazy - i feel like a crazy freak and totally over the top & neurotic :'(
    Well as the saying goes 'Opposites attract'...but do they really? How often do you see a gorgeous model walking around with a bald ageing goofball, or a highly intelligent guy walking around with a blonde bimbo?

Answer: Very rare, although these relationships do occur, there is usually some form of financial security involved

Reading your post as a guy im thinking to myself, dude this girl deserves so much better, if you're willing to put work into the relationship, then shouldn't the guy do his share? My advice dump him, he's obviously not willing to put effort into being with you, so why does he deserve such a passionate, determined girl like you?

ReputationRep:
    He seems like pretty cool guy. I believe yes, you are a bit 'too much' on him, just go with flow...relax...like water...

ReputationRep:
    Most guys at that age are laid back and cool when it comes to women, because we reach a point where we finally accept all women are crazy.

He doesn't wanna talk over the issue cause he knows in like a week or so your gonna have another crazy session on something trivial like what he had for breakfast.

ReputationRep:

Him being "completely laid back and relaxed" is causing problems? No, it's you being a completely neurotic freak which is causing the problem. How can you not see that? Christ.

ReputationRep:

maybe you tell him you feel like this. if he's your boyfriend he should want you to be happy. As long as you don't talk about how you feel too much (because then it might just feel like lecturing) and you don't keep asking him about it too much then maybe he'll start to be a bit more caring.
    hope it works out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viksta1000)
    Well as the saying goes 'Opposites attract'...but do they really? How often do you see a gorgeous model walking around with a bald ageing goofball, or a highly intelligent guy walking around with a blonde bimbo?

Answer: Very rare, although these relationships do occur, there is usually some form of financial security involved

Reading your post as a guy im thinking to myself, dude this girl deserves so much better, if you're willing to put work into the relationship, then shouldn't the guy do his share? My advice dump him, he's obviously not willing to put effort into being with you, so why does he deserve such a passionate, determined girl like you?
    You sound very frustrated...when was the last time you had some p***y???

Opposites do attract.....and frankly in my opinion , this happens very often....However,this rule mostly applies in terms of personality-wise and not look-wise....

OP, maybe he just doesn't think most of the things that bother you is a big deal... Try talking to him about it and hopefully you two can communicate better with each-other...

Goodluck.

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to say, in my opinion:

It could be that he isn't as bothered as you about the relationship.

Or it could be that it cuts him so deeply when you argue/disagree/go through a bad patch that he doesn't want to discuss/relive/re-argue it.

Obviously the second scenario is more preferable than the first. But he needs to realise how it makes you feel and how it's coming across (and that it's not doing much good for your relationship).

Either way, bottom line: talk to him about it and how it make you feel and get the truth in the open...

Good luck!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 25, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.