The Student Room Group

Chemistry or French AS level?

Hi :smile:

I sort of asked this question before but not exactly, so I'm just trying to gather more opinions really.

I'm in my AS year and I do Maths, Fmaths, Physics, Chemistry and French atm. My teachers all say I can handle 5 and if I can't then I can drop it, but I prob can't lol and don't want to risk getting lower grades, so I'll just make the decision asap.

I am aiming to do a degree in Mathematics so obviously M, FM and P I will definately take to A2 (and maybe something else which I can decide next year). I know people will say it's based on which one you enjoy the most and which one you will get the highest grade in.

Here's my situtation: I like Chemistry more but for French we do the WJEC board which is meant to be veryyy easy (even students who didn't work hard got As at AS) and is therefore much easier than Chemistry. This could mean that I'm likely to get a higher mark in French and also gives me a broader range of subjects. But based on the fact I want to do a Maths degree, which subject should I do and why? Or does anyone think that one could handle doing 5 such hard subjects :\ ?

Oh and I got an A* in both French and Chem btw. And sorry for making you guys read this long essay...Any opinion/help will be useful so thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Chem without a doubt

Firstly you want to do maths at uni which is very competitve, a two science and maths combo would be very beneficial to you when you come to apply as all sciences and maths are known as 'Hard Subjects'

Secondly...chem AS is piss easy
Chem without a doubt

Firstly you want to do maths at uni which is very competitve, a two science and maths combo would be very beneficial to you when you come to apply as all sciences and maths are known as 'Hard Subjects'

Reply 3
viksta1000
Chem without a doubt

But won't the uni's want someone with a broad range of subjects too? Especially my other option being a language appeals to most unis.

And I thought chem was one of, if not the, hardest A/AS level?

Thanks x
Reply 4
It doesn't matter at all, unless you think you might want to study Natural Sciences or Medicine or Chemical Engineering. If you like Chemistry much more, do Chemistry.
Hiya!

Definitely French imo (I'm starting my A2 at night school next Wednesday - did French AS 6 years ago!) God help me arrghh!!
Reply 6
chicoinglés
Hiya!

Definitely French imo (I'm starting my A2 at night school next Wednesday - did French AS 6 years ago!) God help me arrghh!!

Hey,

Why though? How did it benefit you? And if you don't mind me asking, what were your other A levels and which degree did you study? :smile:

And what if I don't chose to do Maths at Uni, then I'll be stuck with a French in AS and it prob wouldn't get me anywhere :\ (Hypothetically speaking of course as it's likely I do study a Maths degree)
Having a language makes you much more employable.
Reply 8
chinaberry

This. French. Definitely.
Chemistry dude. French sucks my dick
Kay94
Hey,

Why though? How did it benefit you? And if you don't mind me asking, what were your other A levels and which degree did you study? :smile:

And what if I don't chose to do Maths at Uni, then I'll be stuck with a French in AS and it prob wouldn't get me anywhere :\ (Hypothetically speaking of course as it's likely I do study a Maths degree)

Hiya again!

Well, it benefited me because I was planning on studying languages for my degree so knew that it would come in handy. I also did Spanish and Italian A-Levels (did the Italian one at night school in a year), as well as AVCE (Double Award) ICT, and I did Spanish and Italian for my degree. I also finished my MA in Translation Studies last year, but am now working as I said previously!

Yeah, you're right there I guess, but languages open up many doors in my opinion, whatever field you end up working in:P
French :yep: Languages are invaluable these days, although it's better to choose which one you'll prefer.
Reply 12
chinaberry

Generally I'd agree, but even in my situation where I'm likely to read Maths in Uni? (Or if not, then definately a Science/Maths based degree!)
SilverDoe21
French :yep: Languages are invaluable these days, although it's better to choose which one you'll prefer.

Exactly, although my Spanish fiancée sounds like a right old English girl herself, it's incredible...her pronunciation of 'quid' is as good as mine:smile:
Universities know that WJEC exams are easy. So I would go for chemistry.
Do Chemistry.

You say you like Chemistry more in your original post, so it'd be pretty silly if you did French.

Also, I just read that you definitely want to do a maths/science degree, which is even more reason to do Chemistry.
(edited 13 years ago)
Chemistry.

Because french is evil.
Chemistry!
chicoinglés
Exactly, although my Spanish fiancée sounds like a right old English girl herself, it's incredible...her pronunciation of 'quid' is as good as mine:smile:

Haha I'd love to be that good at German :lol:
French, to show you aren't just some geek who is a whizz at maths. I think the fact you're doing maths, further maths and physics shows your capability at maths and science.. and doing french would show you are a well rounded person with other interests besides maths. Also would be more useful for life in general than chem would.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest