Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverDoe21)
    Haha I'd love to be that good at German :lol:
    My knowledge of Spanish probably is, but her accent in English is fantastic, sometimes even think she sounds northern when she says 'love' for example, even though I'm a southener. Overall though she sounds southern, quite a contrast from when I first met her when she had an American accent!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    French, to show you aren't just some geek who is a whizz at maths. I think the fact you're doing maths, further maths and physics shows your capability at maths and science.. and doing french would show you are a well rounded person with other interests besides maths. Also would be more useful for life in general than chem would.
    I thought that my Extra Curriculars (and GCSE subject choices) would show that I'm well rounded anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Do Chemistry.

You say you like Chemistry more in your original post, so it'd be pretty silly if you did French.

Also, I just read that you definitely want to do a maths/science degree, which is even more reason to do Chemistry.
    Yes, true. But imo, the other three AS levels I'm taking are already quite hard and therefore time consuming. Taking chem would surely just add to my workload and take away more of my time?

French is just for diverse subjects I guess... I've just looked at the subjects you've taken. Did you take Eng Lit because you really liked it or was this for diversity too? Because surely you would have taken either Physics or Fmaths instead then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay94)
    I thought that my Extra Curriculars (and GCSE subject choices) would show that I'm well rounded anyway?

yes but not as much as doing an actual AS/A level in it. i think most clever people can get A/A* in something but you actually have to work hard for AS/As so getting one in french will show you're not just ok at it.. you're really good.

oh added bonus, languages you need to work really hard for, unis know that.. more than most other subjects.. so they'll know you're a hard worker if you do well in a language.

Chem AS is hard, I only just started and can tell it will be. I'm doing chem because i have to but wouldn't drop french because of the fact that it shows that I am good at other things.. plus I love french, LOVE it. so i might be a bit biased .

ReputationRep:
    I do maths, chemistry, physics, economics. Trust me chemistry is a killer, if u like it at gcse it will not mean you like it at a level. It is so much harder than the rest of my other subjects. you should do french if it is easy since you already got some hard one in there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay94)
    Yes, true. But imo, the other three AS levels I'm taking are already quite hard and therefore time consuming. Taking chem would surely just add to my workload and take away more of my time?

French is just for diverse subjects I guess... I've just looked at the subjects you've taken. Did you take Eng Lit because you really liked it or was this for diversity too? Because surely you would have taken either Physics or Fmaths instead then?

There's no point just taking it to be a diverse choice, if you prefer chemistry.

If you're applying for maths or a science at Uni, they won't care about diversity in subjects at all: your ability at maths/science is what's important.

Incidentally, I found English Lit to be my hardest subject. Don't just assume the sciences will be the most difficult; it depends on the person. I didn't think Chemistry was too hard.

ReputationRep:
    I do French with WJEC and got 100% in the written paper and 93% in the speaking, with A* at GCSE. It was very easy if you're an able linguist.

ReputationRep:
    Chem, you can learn a new language at any point of your life easily

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    There's no point just taking it to be a diverse choice, if you prefer chemistry.

If you're applying for maths or a science at Uni, they won't care about diversity in subjects at all: your ability at maths/science is what's important.

Incidentally, I found English Lit to be my hardest subject. Don't just assume the sciences will be the most difficult; it depends on the person. I didn't think Chemistry was too hard.
    Hmm true. Thanks a lot for your posts, they really helped me. I thinkkk I'll do Chem now but my mind changes quite easily haha. But yeah thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ?!master?!mini?!)
    Chemistry dude. French sucks my ****
    wow didn't know french could suck needles :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meatzaper)
    wow didn't know french could suck needles :\
    I'll be sticking that needle up your butt if your not careful :mfing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay94)
    Hi

I sort of asked this question before but not exactly, so I'm just trying to gather more opinions really.

I'm in my AS year and I do Maths, Fmaths, Physics, Chemistry and French atm. My teachers all say I can handle 5 and if I can't then I can drop it, but I prob can't lol and don't want to risk getting lower grades, so I'll just make the decision asap.

I am aiming to do a degree in Mathematics so obviously M, FM and P I will definitely take to A2 (and maybe something else which I can decide next year). I know people will say it's based on which one you enjoy the most and which one you will get the highest grade in.

Here's my situtation: I like Chemistry more but for French we do the WJEC board which is meant to be veryyy easy (even students who didn't work hard got As at AS) and is therefore much easier than Chemistry. This could mean that I'm likely to get a higher mark in French and also gives me a broader range of subjects. But based on the fact I want to do a Maths degree, which subject should I do and why? Or does anyone think that one could handle doing 5 such hard subjects :\ ?

Oh and I got an A* in both French and Chem btw. And sorry for making you guys read this long essay...Any opinion/help will be useful so thanks in advance
    well you should be able to do all of them because u seem 'smart' ... if i were you i would do all of them first and see how the work load is... because i started off with Maths physics french history and after like 4 lessons i was like 'what am i doing here' and changed french for chemistry...

Btw just because u get A* in gcse it means nothing imh because chemistry is nothing like it is in gcse... id say u need bout 50% more effort to get a 'decent' mark in A level.... unless ur a study mule then u just keep at ur muling pace....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ?!master?!mini?!)
    I'll be sticking that needle up your butt if your not careful :mfing:
    take it easy man... i don't swing that way... nd either way never on the first date...

ReputationRep:
    take it easy man... i don't swing that way... nd either way never on the first date...
    :sexface: just for the record.... i'm straight.

ReputationRep:
    well you should be able to do all of them because u seem 'smart' ... if i were you i would do all of them first and see how the work load is... because i started off with Maths physics french history and after like 4 lessons i was like 'what am i doing here' and changed french for chemistry...

Btw just because u get A* in gcse it means nothing imh because chemistry is nothing like it is in gcse... id say u need bout 50% more effort to get a 'decent' mark in A level.... unless ur a study mule then u just keep at ur muling pace....
    Well yes I could do all of them, but then I would risk getting lower grades overall!

And yes I know. A friend of mine got A* in GCSE Chem but D in AS level who is now retaking the year. But then A level Chem will not be hard for everyone obv, otherwise people wouldn't be picking it...

But I do put a lot of effort into my studies and I would not let myself fall behind if that's what you mean. Chemistry is currently not too hard for me but we have only just started of course.

But I guess I could just continue with all 5 for now... I just wanted to know which, if any, I should drop if I do choose to in the near future

Thank you for your opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry but then again I'm biased

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by travestial)
    Universities know that WJEC exams are easy. So I would go for chemistry.
    What? No they don't, do they? WJEC is just the same as any other exam board and I don't personally think their French AS is any easier than others. You do have to be proficient to get good results.

Just pick the one you think you'll enjoy and do best in. Either one is great anyway. As a science Chemistry fits in well with your other subjects, while French is great because it shows diversity and is very employable.

ReputationRep:
    OP, you could do Chemistry A-Level and the DELF B2 (official French proficiency test). Meaning you could just sit in French lessons and not bother with French A-Level exams (so you could neglect it around exam time for your other subjects), but still show you are proficient in French at approximately A-Level standard by taking the French French test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dusty12)
    What? No they don't, do they? WJEC is just the same as any other exam board and I don't personally think their French AS is any easier than others. You do have to be proficient to get good results.

Just pick the one you think you'll enjoy and do best in. Either one is great anyway. As a science Chemistry fits in well with your other subjects, while French is great because it shows diversity and is very employable.
    I agree with what you're saying... my school put us through English Lit, Lang, RS and Languages on WJEC for GCSE.

The UCAS person at my school told me that universities aren't thrilled with WJEC exams... but at the end of the day, they're a real exam board, certified by the JCQ or QCA or whoever it is, and all A level/ GCSE exams have to meet a certain standard for them to be allowed, so you will be fine. But generally schools in England choose to do welsh board exams because they are easier (for example in WJEC A Level music, you can still do a free composition, whereas all other boards who offer music a level have scrapped this and you can't compose whatever you want).

Sorry, I've gone round in a circle, and please don't worry about it, the school pick the board, not you! And my UCAS person might just be making it up because she doesn't like my old school. And universities can't discriminate against you for something you had no control over. Sorry if I've worried you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by travestial)
    I agree with what you're saying... my school put us through English Lit, Lang, RS and Languages on WJEC for GCSE.

The UCAS person at my school told me that universities aren't thrilled with WJEC exams... but at the end of the day, they're a real exam board, certified by the JCQ or QCA or whoever it is, and all A level/ GCSE exams have to meet a certain standard for them to be allowed, so you will be fine. But generally schools in England choose to do welsh board exams because they are easier (for example in WJEC A Level music, you can still do a free composition, whereas all other boards who offer music a level have scrapped this and you can't compose whatever you want).

Sorry, I've gone round in a circle, and please don't worry about it, the school pick the board, not you! And my UCAS person might just be making it up because she doesn't like my old school. And universities can't discriminate against you for something you had no control over. Sorry if I've worried you!
    Nah, don't panic, you haven't overly worried me.:p:
    Since I live in Wales they should see that my school chose WJEC because it's Welsh, not because of it's difficulty(or lack thereof). I agree about music though. At GCSE it seemed that the teacher practically did everyone's compositions for them, from what my friends said.

Anyway OP, I think what llys suggested would be a good solution.:yep:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.