The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
llys
OP, you could do Chemistry A-Level and the DELF B2 (official French proficiency test). Meaning you could just sit in French lessons and not bother with French A-Level exams (so you could neglect it around exam time for your other subjects), but still show you are proficient in French at approximately A-Level standard by taking the French French test.

This sounds like a good idea but I've just done a little bit of research and you still have to take the same sort of exams and I think they're around the same time as other summer exams. Is there any point of doing this instead of the AS level :confused: ?
Reply 41
Kay94
This sounds like a good idea but I've just done a little bit of research and you still have to take the same sort of exams and I think they're around the same time as other summer exams. Is there any point of doing this instead of the AS level :confused: ?

You can take the exams at different times in the year, you don't have to take them with A-Levels. You could take them in March I think, or after year 13 if you like.

It doesn't give you UCAS points, but is accepted as proof of proficiency in French in all European countries.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 42
llys
You can take the exams at different times in the year, you don't have to take them with A-Levels. You could take them in March I think, or after year 13 if you like.

It doesn't give you UCAS points, but is accepted as proof of proficiency in French in all European countries.

Oh I see. Thanks a lot, I'll put this idea forward to my teachers and see what they say then :smile:

Btw, just out of interest, how do you know about these exams as I hadn't heard of them before your suggestion. Oh, and do you have to sit the A1 A2 and B1 before the B2 one?

Thanks x
Reply 43
Kay94
Oh I see. Thanks a lot, I'll put this idea forward to my teachers and see what they say then :smile:

Btw, just out of interest, how do you know about these exams as I hadn't heard of them before your suggestion. Oh, and do you have to sit the A1 A2 and B1 before the B2 one?

Thanks x

You don't have to take A1, A2 etc. before taking the DELF B2. You should be confident though before you take the exams that you are of a B2 standard. There is another test - whose name escapes me at the moment - which is for everyone, and they tell you what standard you are at after the test. Someone over in the Foreign Languages forum took that one and I'm sure she'll post in your thread over there.

I currently work at a Swiss-French university. If you are a non-native speaker of French and want to study at a French or Swiss-French university, you either have to sit a French exam (in Switzerland at least) or provide a DELF B2 certificate. They also might accept A-Level at grade A/B but I'm not too sure about that.

Latest