Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    OP, you could do Chemistry A-Level and the DELF B2 (official French proficiency test). Meaning you could just sit in French lessons and not bother with French A-Level exams (so you could neglect it around exam time for your other subjects), but still show you are proficient in French at approximately A-Level standard by taking the French French test.
    This sounds like a good idea but I've just done a little bit of research and you still have to take the same sort of exams and I think they're around the same time as other summer exams. Is there any point of doing this instead of the AS level :confused: ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay94)
    This sounds like a good idea but I've just done a little bit of research and you still have to take the same sort of exams and I think they're around the same time as other summer exams. Is there any point of doing this instead of the AS level :confused: ?
    You can take the exams at different times in the year, you don't have to take them with A-Levels. You could take them in March I think, or after year 13 if you like.

It doesn't give you UCAS points, but is accepted as proof of proficiency in French in all European countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    You can take the exams at different times in the year, you don't have to take them with A-Levels. You could take them in March I think, or after year 13 if you like.

It doesn't give you UCAS points, but is accepted as proof of proficiency in French in all European countries.
    Oh I see. Thanks a lot, I'll put this idea forward to my teachers and see what they say then

Btw, just out of interest, how do you know about these exams as I hadn't heard of them before your suggestion. Oh, and do you have to sit the A1 A2 and B1 before the B2 one?

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay94)
    Oh I see. Thanks a lot, I'll put this idea forward to my teachers and see what they say then

Btw, just out of interest, how do you know about these exams as I hadn't heard of them before your suggestion. Oh, and do you have to sit the A1 A2 and B1 before the B2 one?

Thanks x
    You don't have to take A1, A2 etc. before taking the DELF B2. You should be confident though before you take the exams that you are of a B2 standard. There is another test - whose name escapes me at the moment - which is for everyone, and they tell you what standard you are at after the test. Someone over in the Foreign Languages forum took that one and I'm sure she'll post in your thread over there.

I currently work at a Swiss-French university. If you are a non-native speaker of French and want to study at a French or Swiss-French university, you either have to sit a French exam (in Switzerland at least) or provide a DELF B2 certificate. They also might accept A-Level at grade A/B but I'm not too sure about that.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.