Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LazyWorseThanInfidel)
    if you put night life before reputation - what is the point in going to uni?

sussex has a terrible reputation
    It actually has a pretty decent reputation- it came 79th in the world's top 100 university rankings so it must be doing something right.

ReputationRep:
    sheffield is the only good one out of the 3. the other 2 are low status and probably in clearing, they may even be x ploytechnics, lots of people drop out from these type of unis. will the degree from them advance your job prospects? they will probably either have a neutral effect or a negative effect. they are not academically selective like sheffield

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=26&storyco de=412032

This is probably the most reliable league table, and Leicester is 14th, and Sussex is 18th (both a fair bit higher than Sheffield, at 24th). I know tables aren't everything, but you can hardly say they are low status.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Stop spreading complete and utter nonsense. You're either taking the piss (which is quite dangerous and the OP is looking for serious advice) or not well informed.

Leicester's entry requirements are probably comparable to Sheffield's. Both Sussex and Leicester are good, research intensive universities with leading departments, have never been polytechnics (both have been universities for around fifty years with Leicester a university college for longer).

Even if they are ex-polytechnics, which they aren't, this does not make them crap and also doesn't mean they have high drop out rates.
    this is what i believe after researching for one year, and what you have said does not change my mind. I have been researching good unis for me to go to and these i did not encounter once - instead they were considered to be in the category of low status. if these 2 unis are not in the low status then what unis are?

if you have links that may change my mind (bar league tables) they would be helpful because i am entering my choices before oct 15

not that you would want to help me after offending you!

ReputationRep:
    this is what i believe after researching for one year, and what you have said does not change my mind. I have been researching good unis for me to go to and these i did not encounter once - instead they were considered to be in the category of low status. if these 2 unis are not in the low status then what unis are?

if you have links that may change my mind (bar league tables) they would be helpful because i am entering my choices before oct 15

In response to your claim that Leicester and Sussex have high drop out rates, well here are some statistics:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/1719435.stm

Leicester drop out rate - 6%, benchmark - 9%
    Sheffield - 8%, benchmark - 8%
    Sussex - 14%, benchmark - 15%

All have met or gone below their benchmark which is obviously good and all are below the national average.

Finally, they are NOT ex-polys, and even if they were it doesn't make them bad unis.

ReputationRep:
    this is what i believe after researching for one year, and what you have said does not change my mind.
    If that's the most eloquent summary you can muster after a year of research I would really question whether university is for you at all.

ReputationRep:

Well, when I first read your reply I was a bit pissed (drunk-pissed and not pissed-off!). So wasn't offended. Now I've sobered up I'm still not offended, just a little bemused.

In fact, having now noticed you're applying for physics I'm particularly bemused. I don't know if astronomy and astrophysics is your area, but aren't you aware of the fact that Leicester is a major European centre for space research? Never heard of Beagle 2 or the National Space Centre?

OK, so your opinions are based on a year's worth of "research" (this one year of research isn't worth as much as a number of years of direct experience of higher education). This can't be particularly throrough research if you think Leicester and Sussex are former polytechnics.

You're the person who really needs to provide evidence and statistics as you are making the bold claims. But nevermind....

Leicester and Sussex are both well established and internationally recognised universities.

Both are members of the 1994 Group, a group of research intensive universities and, partly because of its strength in the better funded sciences, Leicester has probably the highest research income in the Group (maybe higher than some Russell Group universities). Although I might be a couple of years out of date here and haven't got time to find new statistics. But there's no denying it has an impressive research profile and this is shown in the 2008 Research Assessment exercise.

Sheffield

http://www.rae.ac.uk/results/quality...d=169&type=hei

Leicester

http://www.rae.ac.uk/results/quality...d=123&type=hei

Sussex

http://www.rae.ac.uk/results/quality...d=172&type=hei

Sheffield is a larger university and offers more subjects, but Leicester and Sussex still hold their own. Leicester have amongst the highest staff submission scores of any university in the country. Leicester offers the strongest department for museum studies, alongside its strong history, archaeology, medical sciences and physics departments. Sussex offer a decent amount of world leading research across its departments also, particularly computer science and American studies.

Both Sussex and Leicester still offer a strong teaching record with strengths across the faculties. Leicester in particular has three centres for teaching and learning excellence (in genetics, GIS and physics). Any major figure involved in genetics research is probably aware of Leicester (fingerprint technology).

As for Leicester and Sussex not being "academically selective", where do you get this from?

Typical offers from the three universities are comparable with AAA - ABB offers the norm.

Although it does need to be remembered that typical offers are largely a sign of popularity. A popular department isn't necessarily better than one which is not so popular or, for whatever reason, has more modest typical offers.

Drop out rates have usually been covered. I think that you're comment "they are probably ex-polys and these have high drop out rates" is very simplistic as not all ex-polys have a high drop out rate.

There we go. I could go on but I'll leave it there. I don't think I've mentioned league tables?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomber)
    If that's the most eloquent summary you can muster after a year of research I would really question whether university is for you at all.
    maybe we will leave that question to my tutors

i will tell them what i said and ask them if this proves that i am too dumb for uni

i will have to find out what the real good unis are seems like russel group unis are not good enough

ReputationRep:
    Well, when I first read your reply I was a bit pissed (drunk-pissed and not pissed-off!). So wasn't offended. Now I've sobered up I'm still not offended, just a little bemused.

In fact, having now noticed you're applying for physics I'm particularly bemused. I don't know if astronomy and astrophysics is your area, but aren't you aware of the fact that Leicester is a major European centre for space research? Never heard of Beagle 2 or the National Space Centre?

OK, so your opinions are based on a year's worth of "research" (this one year of research isn't worth as much as a number of years of direct experience of higher education). This can't be particularly throrough research if you think Leicester and Sussex are former polytechnics.

You're the person who really needs to provide evidence and statistics as you are making the bold claims. But nevermind....

Leicester and Sussex are both well established and internationally recognised universities.

Both are members of the 1994 Group, a group of research intensive universities and, partly because of its strength in the better funded sciences, Leicester has probably the highest research income in the Group (maybe higher than some Russell Group universities). Although I might be a couple of years out of date here and haven't got time to find new statistics. But there's no denying it has an impressive research profile and this is shown in the 2008 Research Assessment exercise.

Sheffield

http://www.rae.ac.uk/results/quality...d=169&type=hei

Leicester

http://www.rae.ac.uk/results/quality...d=123&type=hei

Sussex

http://www.rae.ac.uk/results/quality...d=172&type=hei

Sheffield is a larger university and offers more subjects, but Leicester and Sussex still hold their own. Leicester have amongst the highest staff submission scores of any university in the country. Leicester offers the strongest department for museum studies, alongside its strong history, archaeology, medical sciences and physics departments. Sussex offer a decent amount of world leading research across its departments also, particularly computer science and American studies.

Both Sussex and Leicester still offer a strong teaching record with strengths across the faculties. Leicester in particular has three centres for teaching and learning excellence (in genetics, GIS and physics). Any major figure involved in genetics research is probably aware of Leicester (fingerprint technology).

As for Leicester and Sussex not being "academically selective", where do you get this from?

Typical offers from the three universities are comparable with AAA - ABB offers the norm.

Although it does need to be remembered that typical offers are largely a sign of popularity. A popular department isn't necessarily better than one which is not so popular or, for whatever reason, has more modest typical offers.

Drop out rates have usually been covered. I think that you're comment "they are probably ex-polys and these have high drop out rates" is very simplistic as not all ex-polys have a high drop out rate.

There we go. I could go on but I'll leave it there. I don't think I've mentioned league tables?
    are you still a student or...?

ReputationRep:
    maybe we will leave that question to my tutors

i will tell them what i said and ask them if this proves that i am too dumb for uni

i will have to find out what the real good unis are seems like russel group unis are not good enough
    Yeah.... not helping your case.

ReputationRep:
    are you still a student or...?
    Yes. I'm in the rather unenviable position of being both an undergrad and a postgrad now.

Were you not aware of Leicester's research strength in astrophysics?

Really good unis.

It's difficult to compare one university to another but personally I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of the multi-faculty universities in the Russell Group (and 1994 Group) are of a comparable standard.

The only exceptions being Oxford and Cambridge. Possibly UCL. Other than that then I think few could make a convincing argument that Durham's better than Bath or Nottingham. Glasgow is better than Birmingham. Warwick is better than Sheffield or St Andrews is better than Newcastle or Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    I'm never much of a fan of league tables but Sussex, after a few years when it has been slipping down the tables, has had some good results recently, the Times World Rankings that came out a week or so ago had Sussex as 8th in the UK. That may overstate its true position, but it's not a bad uni. I would say there was not much between these three unis although departmentally each will have their strengths, if I wanted to study Politics for instance, I would go for Sheffield which is top class.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I'm in the rather unenviable position of being both an undergrad and a postgrad now.

Were you not aware of Leicester's research strength in astrophysics?

Really good unis.

It's difficult to compare one university to another but personally I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of the multi-faculty universities in the Russell Group (and 1994 Group) are of a comparable standard.

The only exceptions being Oxford and Cambridge. Possibly UCL. Other than that then I think few could make a convincing argument that Durham's better than Bath or Nottingham. Glasgow is better than Birmingham. Warwick is better than Sheffield or St Andrews is better than Newcastle or Manchester.
    What university did you choose? What year are you in? What do you mean you are an undergraduate and a postgraduate? What are you studying? What are you doing as a postgraduate? What genre do you mostly play on guitar?

ReputationRep:
    What university did you choose?
    I've been at Durham for a few years.

What year are you in?
    Final year

What do you mean you are an undergraduate and a postgraduate
    I am doing a postgrad diploma with the Open University either side of this final year. Both qualifications will hopefully allow me to do a masters in planning or surveying afterwards.

What are you studying?
    Philosophy and Politics at Durham. Environmental Decision Making at the Open University.

What genre do you mostly play on guitar?
    Despite the profile picture of David Gimour I don't play the guitar. Not well anyway.

You're a strange one with the questions :p: ALthough I feel this is getting a little off topic and not really helpful to the OP.

ReputationRep:
    Ive visited both leicester and sheffield they are both amazing universities... if you are going to make your decision based on the universities credibility then the league tables would suggest leicester is the way to go as it is higher and more successful than both sheffield and sussex. The only reason everyone hypes about sheffield so much is because it is amazing for nightlife and that 'studenty' atmosphere. However, i found that visiting leicester- i felt so welcome and everyone was so nice, plus the city is lovely and the campus is so compact which i though was really convenient.. whereas sheffields buildings are quite spread apart. Sheffield has a better nightlife but leicester has the highest student satisfaction rate and one of the best student unions in the country- which is where most of the students PARTYYYY! i think it's safe to say sussex isnt really worth considering when up against leicester and sheffield but it depends what your priorities are. Leicester has definately overtaken sheffield in terms of academic credibility and is considered an up and coming university.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.