Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Everyone should know about this! It's a beautiful idea. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimus777)
    :rofl:

Brilliant username as well might i say, i don't suppose it's a reference to wallace and grommit?
    I think it might be. Not sure if that's where i heard it first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sequin)
    I prefer put-pocketing.
    Where you slip fivers into peoples bags and coat pockets rather than stealing.
    :eek3: You'd have to be well-off to do that!

ReputationRep:
    What if you write "you have lovely hair" but the person who finds it is bald? WHAT HAPPENS THEN?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    Operation Beautiful :bubbles:

Goal ~ To stop people feeling and saying negative things about themselves.

It's simple: Write a motivating note on a post-it and put it up in a public place – a bathroom mirror, inside a diet book, or even on a random car’s windshield. You can write the website http://operationbeautiful.com/
    on the bottom so other people can find the site!

Click on the website link to find out more about it, and here's a video that always makes me fill-up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqOEP...layer_embedded

I've been posting notes for months now, and the feeling when you walk away is just amazing. It feels like you're floating. Sitting down to create lovely, inspirational notes to boost other people's confidence, is as beneficial for you as it is the lucky person who finds them.

there's an empty shop near my house and there's a note on the window saying "u look pretty". the first time i passed through there I looked rough and I felt like ****. however, as soon as I read that I started smiling and the whole day I was lighten up inside.

I know it's stupid because it wasn't for me but it worked

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katyness)

there's an empty shop near my house and there's a note on the window saying "u look pretty". the first time i passed through there I looked rough and I felt like ****. however, as soon as I read that I started smiling and the whole day I was lighten up inside.

I know it's stupid because it wasn't for me but it worked
    What a wonderful person putting it there, there must be so many people who've had the same experience as you!

ReputationRep:
    I love this ! I'm so glad I read about it and visited the website, it's like something out of an advert or movie. It's a lovely thing to do, and I know if I was on the recieveing end I'd probably keep it and put it in my purse or something to look at whenever I feel down. It's bizzare to think that you could pass the person who wrote it in the street a matter of minutes later and never know about that connection you have if this makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather right something funny than something like "Love yourself, you're beautiful!" I mean, God knows who'll end up reading it, and as my friends constantly like to remind me, I must not tell lies (they want it in blood, but right now they settle for writing it in ink every day :L). I'd want to write funny quotes, like putting this on someone's desk.

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."

Ok, perhaps it's not that funny, but I like the line, and I love Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy. I might start post-it noting all our inside jokes onto my friends lockers. I'm sure people will think it's funny when they pass my friends locker and they see the words "Someone stood on the catfish!", even if they don't get the joke. I do a paper round, and I've always considered writing little notes saying things like "Have a nice day" and posting them in with the papers, but I always forget. They might think I was being kinda creepy as well if I did that so it's probably best that I don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess1106)
    I love this ! I'm so glad I read about it and visited the website, it's like something out of an advert or movie. It's a lovely thing to do, and I know if I was on the recieveing end I'd probably keep it and put it in my purse or something to look at whenever I feel down. It's bizzare to think that you could pass the person who wrote it in the street a matter of minutes later and never know about that connection you have if this makes sense.

You can do it with friends too - one of my friends sent me a gorgeous card she'd decorated and written a couple of lovely things on. I've put it up on my wall, and it makes me smile everytime I see it. You can do emails too, for people to pass on. It leaves a line of happy people

ReputationRep:
    :eek3: You'd have to be well-off to do that!
    It was a charity that ran it one summer in London. Spent 4 years picking up money they'd found on the floor in the city, and then spent a summer giving back to the public that had dropped it. As a bit of a pick me up during the recession.

ReputationRep:
    Printing out demotivators and putting them up on walls is a far better idea.. :p:

ReputationRep:

You can do it with friends too - one of my friends sent me a gorgeous card she'd decorated and written a couple of lovely things on. I've put it up on my wall, and it makes me smile everytime I see it. You can do emails too, for people to pass on. It leaves a line of happy people
    But wouldnt it be different for you if it was a stranger who did it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sequin)
    It was a charity that ran it one summer in London. Spent 4 years picking up money they'd found on the floor in the city, and then spent a summer giving back to the public that had dropped it. As a bit of a pick me up during the recession.
    That's really amazing!

(Original post by jakemittle)
    But wouldnt it be different for you if it was a stranger who did it?
    No, not for me.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know what else is a beautiful idea in principle? Communism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocothunder)
    What a mental idea. Thanks, but I think I'll stick to my crippling black hole of self-pity and loathing.
    This. And how come most of the notes in the websites are written by girls?

ReputationRep:

It's simple: Write a motivating note on a post-it and put it up in a public place – a bathroom mirror, inside a diet book, or even on a random car’s windshield. You can write the website http://operationbeautiful.com/

Click on the website link to find out more about it, and here's a video that always makes me fill-up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqOEP...layer_embedded

I've been posting notes for months now, and the feeling when you walk away is just amazing. It feels like you're floating. Sitting down to create lovely, inspirational notes to boost other people's confidence, is as beneficial for you as it is the lucky person who finds them.
    ohh, i see you think its alright to be a litterbug eh, :mad: you make me sick

ReputationRep:
    Damn Hippies

ReputationRep:

Well done Rose Sorry about all the cynics (what do you expect from TSR?) I think its an awesome thing to do.

I can't say I've had much experience with helping people with self-image issues but I'm a big fan of random acts of kindness in general. I try to do something every month if I can.

I don't think it really makes any difference in the grand scheme of things but it makes me feel awesome about myself.

A few weeks ago I spotted this woman crying by the side of the street. I sat down and asked her if I could help. We talked through all these problems she had about her family - I don't think I really offered any advice but I listened to her and asked her questions. After it was over she gave me this massive hug and looked so appreciative. I felt absolutely wonderful for about a week afterwards.

I have a friend that spends every Xmas day cooking Christmas dinner and then takes it all down to a homeless shelter and gives it away. She's probably happier on Xmas day than any of us isnt she.

ReputationRep:
    This is such a beautiful and inspirational message. It makes me feel good and warm inside. :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
    Well done Rose Sorry about all the cynics (what do you expect from TSR?) I think its an awesome thing to do.

I can't say I've had much experience with helping people with self-image issues but I'm a big fan of random acts of kindness in general. I try to do something every month if I can.

I don't think it really makes any difference in the grand scheme of things but it makes me feel awesome about myself.

A few weeks ago I spotted this woman crying by the side of the street. I sat down and asked her if I could help. We talked through all these problems she had about her family - I don't think I really offered any advice but I listened to her and asked her questions. After it was over she gave me this massive hug and looked so appreciative. I felt absolutely wonderful for about a week afterwards.

I have a friend that spends every Xmas day cooking Christmas dinner and then takes it all down to a homeless shelter and gives it away. She's probably happier on Xmas day than any of us isnt she.
    You sound like an amazing person - that's such a rare experience, having a chance to really make a difference to someone's life like that.
    The christmas dinner thing sounds amazing too, I'd love to give that a go!

ReputationRep:
    I don't like lying of any sorts...so I can't really do that.

I can't think of anything that won't be a possible lie...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.