Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Everyone should know about this! It's a beautiful idea. watch

ReputationRep:
    I heard once of people putting notes like that in eating disorder recovery books, which is nice, I think. Mind you, someone wrote "God meant HOPE and HEALING in the stars" in our school toilets and it makes me want to puke everytime I read it.

ReputationRep:
    So vandalism and littering? Nice. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Seeing one of those notes would make me smile! When it's just the right amount of sweet that is- a lot of those notes were sickeningly gushy xD I hope they don't overcomplicate it though, it's a nice idea but it doesn't need to become a global phenomenon- that would take away the specialness

ReputationRep:
    Why is it a bad thing that people are self-critical? Do we want a continuous state of smugness all the time?

ReputationRep:
    I might try this :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sequin)
    It was a charity that ran it one summer in London. Spent 4 years picking up money they'd found on the floor in the city, and then spent a summer giving back to the public that had dropped it. As a bit of a pick me up during the recession.
    This has to be one of the most retarded things I've ever heard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH)
    This has to be one of the most retarded things I've ever heard.
    How so?

ReputationRep:
    If I found that I'd think I was being stalked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    How so?
    Well if they've spent all that time collecting money people have dropped and they're not going to keep it themselves they could at least give it to a worthwhile cause, rather than giving random people a fiver each. I'm forever finding fivers in the pockets of my jeans that I'd left in there previously, I wouldn't even realise if someone else had put one in there.

I'd bet 99% of the people who had money put in their pockets would think "Oh look a five pound note, I must've forgotten to put it in my wallet/purse" and not give it anymore thought.

Plus the people doing this would likely get arrested if they got caught putting the money in the other person's pocket because that person would think they were trying to steal from them.

ReputationRep:
    If I wanted to feel a nice floaty feeling then I'd get the bong. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    It would be nice if hey were motivational, but these are just lies. If it was something like, 'don't give up' or 'he who dares wins' then OK, but 'you're beautiful' won't make people feel better because a stranger who has never seen you doesn't know if you are beautiful. It's like a tramp finding one that says 'don't worry, you're rich!' It just encourages delusion.

It would be great for a scary movie though, if he notes were creepy rather than sickly.

ReputationRep:
    I hate this. Brighten up the day of someone you actually know and think is beautiful, sure.

ReputationRep:
    I'd respect people more for doing actually selfless things.

ReputationRep:
    i think it can be a nice idea - just the mere fact that a stranger took time out to try and make someone's life better, more than whether someone who's never seen you thinks you're beautiful or whatever
    notes like "smile!" or "love yourself" "have a nice day" etc. would be universal and generally help someone who was in a **** mood

this one time one of those annoying charity people who try to get you to sign things asked me for a chat, and i speedwalked past saying "im under 18, sorry!"

he was like ok, and then he shouted "smile!" after me
    i was in such a hideous mood and must have looked so pissed off, but i actually smiled at him, made my 5 minutes

but yeah, like someone said earlier, if people are actively encouraged to do it and it becomes a global phenomenon then it kind of detracts from it :/

ReputationRep:
    also, some of the replies on here are fekkin hilarious
    TSR is such a great way to procrastinate

ReputationRep:
    nice idea but hold the cheese.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH)
    Well if they've spent all that time collecting money people have dropped and they're not going to keep it themselves they could at least give it to a worthwhile cause, rather than giving random people a fiver each. I'm forever finding fivers in the pockets of my jeans that I'd left in there previously, I wouldn't even realise if someone else had put one in there.

I'd bet 99% of the people who had money put in their pockets would think "Oh look a five pound note, I must've forgotten to put it in my wallet/purse" and not give it anymore thought.

Plus the people doing this would likely get arrested if they got caught putting the money in the other person's pocket because that person would think they were trying to steal from them.
    Thats kinda the point...

If anyone cares.
    http://www.talktalkblog.co.uk/2009/0...g-hits-the-uk/

ReputationRep:
    Why's it all for girls?

You are the type of person that puts hearts instead of dots on their 'i's aren't you?

ReputationRep:
    :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sequin)
    Thats kinda the point...

If anyone cares.
    http://www.talktalkblog.co.uk/2009/0...g-hits-the-uk/
    I just watched that, that's different to what you said before because that was an advertisement for talktalk, and that money would've come from their advertising budget.

My previous point still stand, rather that giving what is likely a negligable amount of money each to random people it would be much more beneficial to give all of that money to a more worthwhile cause or charity.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.