Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long before your nail polish chips? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Mine chips after about an hour, then I end up picking at it so I just never wear nail varnish because it's guaranteed to look awful :emo:

ReputationRep:
    My nail varnish lasts longer when my nails are short so it depends. Usually a few days.

ReputationRep:
    I had a 'spa' day given to me as a present for Christmas and part of that was a manicure and pedicure. The pedicure lasted bloody weeks and weeks and I smudged my manicure on the day it was given to me

So if I manage to not smudge my nails then the nail polish usually chips after a day or two.

ReputationRep:
    2 coats of Barry M and a top coat and it'll last for a week, maybe a bit more.

ReputationRep:
    I thought this thread said 'How long before you nail Polish chicks...' I was about to reply, 'within the hour if my lucks in'
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    5 days usually. Don't scrimp on your top coat, even a really inexpensive polish will last a long time if you invest in a good topcoat - OPI do a really nice one and so does Seche Vite.

Also! Try and look more at how you use your nails in everyday life - do you scrape labels off with them? Open ring pulls or open containers by sticking your nails in the crack? Or knock them when chopping veggies? Treat nails as JEWELS not TOOLS and you'll knock them less so therefore not chip your polish as easily.

ReputationRep:
    Urban Decay is the best nail polish Ive used, it lasts around 5-7 days without chipping. You can get it cheap off Ebay

I have an acrylic french manicure every 2 weeks, but you can get a colour gel manicure that will generally last 2-3 weeks. These can cost £15-£25 depending on where you are.

ReputationRep:
    5-6 days.

Barry M :yep: 2 coats with no top/base (though I'll be using a base from now on.. was impossible to get it all off this morning!)

ReputationRep:
    If I prep my nails properly, put treatment on, buff, push cuticles back then wash hands and leave to dry fully before even putting a base coat on my nail varnish lasts about a week. With just base coat and top coat lasts about 3-4 days.

If I'm at work though it lasts an hour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sallycow)
    Yep same here - I like dark colours too which makes it more obvious, too. Damned real life getting in the way.

You never realise how much your fingernails come into contact with other objects until you apply nail polish :p: .

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all ladies!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    My Rimmel nail varnish tends to chip after about 3 or so days, but my Revlon one's don't chip until about a week later.
    It helps if you apply more thin coats, rather than one thicker coat, plus a top coat always helps.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.