Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I know that the title of this sounds weird, but that's honestly how i'm feeling. I just started uni doing a course that i am so passionate about.

But like, a week in and i'm dreading the thought of starting work. Usually I love working and writing essays but now I just don't. I also feel like there is nothing in the future for me and just feeling pretty suicidal. Not that I ever would kill myself... it just feels like there's nothing for me.

I don't know, any advice?

bump.

ReputationRep:
    Have you lost interest in your subject or in life?

If the former - speak to a tutor. If the latter, speak to a doctor.
    Why do you feel like there is 'nothing in the future'? Do you have any ambitions? What were your ambitions before university?

I've lost my interest in life. Nothing appeals to me anymore and I keep pushing everyone away from me without realising it.

And I don't know why I feel this way, I just do and it's really getting to me.

ReputationRep:
    How are things going socially? Not just the work element, but fitting in and making friends?

Most universities have a counselling service available, it may be useful if you perhaps get in contact with yours?

ReputationRep:
    If you're still alive then part of you (the bigger part) wants to live. Tell someone how you're feeling. A counsellor maybe?

Socially they're going okay, not great but okay.

I'll probably go see my doctor, I guess that's all I can do :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I know that the title of this sounds weird, but that's honestly how i'm feeling. I just started uni doing a course that i am so passionate about.

But like, a week in and i'm dreading the thought of starting work. Usually I love working and writing essays but now I just don't. I also feel like there is nothing in the future for me and just feeling pretty suicidal. Not that I ever would kill myself... it just feels like there's nothing for me.

I don't know, any advice?
    There is plenty in life for you :P Dont think there isn't! That is my advice! Look around at everyone right... You are in the same boat as them... Talk to them about it?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, go and see your doctor.
    It is normal to feel a bit of a let-down on actually getting to uni after a long wait, then there's all the stress of homesickness and new surroundings and people, and you may also be a bit under the weather with freshers' flu; but this sounds a bit more than that.
    Take care of yourself, make sure you get plenty of sleep and fresh air, bit of gentle exercise, and get an appointment for next week.

holy ****, I've been feeling like this in the last hour too. We should talk. And I mean, exactly like this.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 25, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.