Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    On the gttr form, there is a section for work experience as well as the personal statement, and in the advice, it says to write about the Student Associates Scheme if you have done that. I have already mentioned this in my personal statement and am wary of repeating myself. Any idea what I should do?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was wondering this too, as it's a 'relevant work experience' box, the only relevant experience I have to teaching has already been mentioned in my PS. Hmm.

ReputationRep:
    I had the same problem but decided to write a description of my duties and responsibilities in the work experience section. To be honest I´m not really sure if I´m write or wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Literally going to write have worked at a playscheme and elaborate on it a little, then go onto the actual teaching experience I've had. I found I couldn't include it all in my ps anyway without just describing it and not be direct about my desire to teach. Urgh. My ps has been rewritten at least 6 times.

So think I'll do the work experience part first before the actual statement!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. So I'm thinking I'll just name the school I did my experience at, give the dates I did it, and say that I observed classes, and gave one on one assistance to some pupils. Looks a bit crap next to my PS.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys i think this is the section where you mention the schools names/ the duration of your placement and what year group/s you have experinced with then a list of your duties and responsiblities, that what ive put also i tried to elaborate on each duties saying hw it enabled me to either broaden my understanding or skills so eg hearing the children lead me to improve my listening skills. Hopefully that shoudl be enough i think mention points that werent mentioned in ur ps but that you feel still demonstrate your qualities or important observations.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm. I just think I spent a lot of time in my PS talking about my work experience (what I learned from it etc), and anything more than listing my duties would be repeating myself. Sigh. I'm getting so pissed off with the stupid GTTR Apply site, can't they even give us a guess on when it'll be up and running properly?

ReputationRep:
    Any one putting normal work like as a shop assitant, or is it solely for teaching experience?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's just for experience to do with schools and education, as it says 'relevant experience'.

ReputationRep:
    It's best to focus on one or two work experience in your personal statment and then list any other such as playgroups or guides etc in the work experience box. Remember to give dates and list your duties and how they have increased your confidence, skills etc. The box is just so the providers can follow up any experience that doesn't seem to be correct when they interview you (in other words if they think it sounds like you have made up a week of primary teaching they can always follow it up by contacting the school and giving dates).

Hope that helps a little and good luck

ReputationRep:
    On my application last year I stated everything from the present back to my final year of 6th form equivalent. I stated dates (MM/YYYY-MM/YYYY), my title/job/role, name of the place, and the location. I included coaching, tutoring/mentoring, volunteer teaching, other volunteer work, au pair work, jobs (even those not directly related) and travelling. I was out of uni for 3 years at this time last year, and I also had taken a 2 years out earlier, so I had lots of life experience I included in the work experience section. I treated it a bit like a CV.

As for my personal statement, I focused more on why I wanted to teach and the path that led me to this discovery. I talked about my life experience, my experience of school as a student and my experience of working with school age children (citing a few recent examples).

I hope this is helpful!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks that is very helpful-stick to the school based experience, got it!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else feel their personal statement lacks something which makes it special and stand out?! I am finding it hard to cover everything they want in 47 lines, AND make it different, AND talk about passion (withough saying passion or other cliches) etc....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Main83)
    Does anyone else feel their personal statement lacks something which makes it special and stand out?! I am finding it hard to cover everything they want in 47 lines, AND make it different, AND talk about passion (withough saying passion or other cliches) etc....
    I reworked my personal statement about 10-15 times last year. I found that the first draft was the most difficult, but once I got it down, I used those close to me to revise it. My partner mainly revised it for me, several times over. It was great because we had been talking about the course, my background, my journey that led me to teaching and my future goals. I found having someone I knew well and who knew me well to bounce ideas off of to be the best solution. I sent to my referee to review it, and she loved it, so that was that.

I spent weeks thinking about it, but managed to complete it in a few hours with several discussions and revisions.

Best of luck!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.