Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Having being obsessed with anime for the last year, I really want to try sake. However I don't know where to start; a lot of sites seem to suggest that most sake imported to the west tends to be the lower quality stuff, plus there seems to be a very broad range of sake available on the internet. Sooooo anyone here a sake drinker? And if so any advice on what to get?

ReputationRep:
    tbh it's nothing special, though I've never been to Japan to try out the high quality stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stef90)
    tbh it's nothing special, though I've never been to Japan to try out the high quality stuff.
    hahahaha :rofl: your sig is awesome :laugh:
    that cat looks like she's about to fall asleep

ReputationRep:
    Yess! Ohmygod, sake is the sh*t. You can drink it two ways - cold or warm. I, personally, like warm, but cold is good for those hot days too. However, you've really got to spend for the good stuff. Cheap sake is just like cheap whiskey - sacrilegious.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I know about sake is that you drink the cheap stuff hot to numb the taste, but good sake is best drunk cold. Never had it, but I'd definitely try it.

I don't drink it but I use it in a variety of recipes.

ReputationRep:
    I like it :')

ReputationRep:
    What does anime have to do with sake :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScrewNormality)
    Having being obsessed with anime for the last year, I really want to try sake.
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah apparently if you heat it up it sort of gets rid of the sake's impurities, but equally it makes all sake taste the same, so heating up good stuff is a waste. I also read that you can get quite good stuff for only £15 - you don't have to spend an enormous amount for quality, well, apparently lol. But, problem is, what is the quality stuff and what is the crap stuff?

ReputationRep:
    And it has nothing to do with anime, but anime has just sparked my interest in sake.. I don't see anything wrong with that :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScrewNormality)
    And it has nothing to do with anime, but anime has just sparked my interest in sake.. I don't see anything wrong with that :L
    Weaboo alert.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Weaboo alert.
    MMMmmm. I love sushi.
    I love Japan period.
    The tea Ceremonies!
    J ROCK!
    GIRUGAMESH!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Have had the REAL Japanese sake (whilst wearing a authentic Japanese kimono!) out of the traditional little cups in a Japanese friends home.

I am not too fond of alcohol but my oh my do I love that sake!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Weaboo alert.
    Baka!

Just joking, I'm not like that, I'm just easily intrigued. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sungirl)
    hahahaha :rofl: your sig is awesome :laugh:
    that cat looks like she's about to fall asleep
    lol glad you like it
    I watch it at least once a day, it's that awesome :yep:

ReputationRep:
    YUM.
    I had it ages ago at a Japanese restaurant. Not had it since though

ReputationRep:
    Recently went to Japan and bought loads of Sake. It turns out that I bought a variety of it, ranging in price from 4500 yen (about £45) to 199 yen. In my opinion, drinking it hot is significantly better than cold!

It says it's 40% onmost of the bottles but tastes mildly sweet and very much like wine made from grapes, although it doesn't have the fruitiness obviously. However it does go down very well and I couldn't help myself from having another glass!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I've found that imported sake doesn't taste as good as what's sold in Japan. I bought some whilst I was in Japan and compared to what is available here, the Japanese variant is the shiz

ReputationRep:
    Sake is a bit meh tbh, and I've had it in Japan. Their beer was much nicer, it had the concistency of Calpol but was beer.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 28, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.