Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Didnt know if this should be in the health and relationships forum, but here we go.

Well i've just got into a house in my second year, and i'm finding it hard to sleep due to the noise. Its not like my housemates try to be noisy, its just an old house and i am a light sleeper. i find it hard to get to sleep, as there is always some sort of noise.

Can anyone suggest something? I've already talked to them, and they have reduced the amount of noise after 1am, which is generally when i go to bed unless i have been out. but i cant ask them to go to bed when i want to, so i dont know what to do.

help anyone?

ReputationRep:
    ear plugs.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    second the ear plugs

ReputationRep:
    ...third the earplugs.

ReputationRep:
    what do you think about headphones and some sort of soothing noise?

ReputationRep:
    Do a Virginia Tech... that might help alleviate some of the people causing noise.

ReputationRep:
    Ear plugs dont work. Go to your doctor and ask for tranquilizers, they work (Dosulepin) are good but not many GP's recommend them these days.

ReputationRep:
    I never found a solution to this problem when I lived in. I couldn't get to sleep in ear plugs because they were uncomfy, my friend lent me ones that fit dead nice in your ears- but then I missed my alarm the next morning. In the end I just had to invest in red bull & come to terms with the fact that going to sleep before 3am was fairly unlikely any night of the week.

ReputationRep:
    I have an app on my iPhone that has soothing noises (rain, fan, airplane, rain, ocean, etc.) because I actually need to hear my alarm in the morning and have had bad luck with ear plugs. The white noise helps to cancel other sounds out. Alternatively, you can get alarm clocks with the sound features or get a fan (if you don't mind the breeze!). On bad nights, I drink a cup of white tea (non-caffeinated), pop an allergy pill, and turn on my app. Presto!

Also, somehow isolating your bed can work a bit. If you can, a heavy curtain or some padding along the wall can help keep your roommates' noises out if you need silence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    I never found a solution to this problem when I lived in. I couldn't get to sleep in ear plugs because they were uncomfy, my friend lent me ones that fit dead nice in your ears- but then I missed my alarm the next morning. In the end I just had to invest in red bull & come to terms with the fact that going to sleep before 3am was fairly unlikely any night of the week.
    Maybe you could have done with one of these:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OL1V3R)
    Maybe you could have done with one of these:

Haha, wow! Possibly :P But seeing as every single day I was up for 9am lectures, I doubt I would have been all that popular in my halls :P

ReputationRep:
    Wax earplugs have usually resolved my issues with noise and I'm the lightest sleeper ever. Also just completed therapy which taught me how to not focus so much on noise and so far at home it's been working brilliantly. Hoping it'll continue to work at uni.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest mate, you'll get used to it after a while, try putting on some soothing music and just relaxing yourself as much as possible. I have some strange tea stuff to get me to sleep at uni, it works for me with any sort of noise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    Wax earplugs have usually resolved my issues with noise and I'm the lightest sleeper ever. Also just completed therapy which taught me how to not focus so much on noise and so far at home it's been working brilliantly. Hoping it'll continue to work at uni.
    I just bought these. How exactly do you use them?

ReputationRep:
    earplugs and use your phones as an alarm but put it on vibrate so it buzzes on your head.
    I have done this a for ages and it has never failed for me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm living next to an airport and managed to sleep through the jets that come and go. Just keep yourself occupied throughout the day and you'll get used to it all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRealDaVinci)
    I just bought these. How exactly do you use them?
    I just squash them a bit on the end that's going in my ear and push them in until they feel comfortable and stop moving.

ReputationRep:
    Ear plugs? I had sleep issues all 4 years of uni mostly because yes I am a very light sleeper but the people I lived with were extremely noisy (well 3 of the 4 years anyway).. They were uncomfortable and wouldn't go in etc to start with but you do get used to them and they're literally a life saver, in that you either go nuts from lack of sleep or kill someone :p:

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.