Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    :woo:
    Gah, I am so confused with factorising. I can do some of the basics but my workbook I have is totally annoying. :confused:

For example, one questions is factorise, 4x+6y

What I thought I did was 4(x+3y) but then I was like, wait that's not right because then that would mean 4 multiplied by 3y is 6y and it's not -.- Gah, sorry if I'm not explaning this right I'm just totally confused by the whole thing. But the answer in the end of this was 2(2x+3y). How do I get to this point please?

Could anyone give me some help on HOW to factorise. I've tried BBC Bitesize but they were using quadratic equations which have 3 parts to 'em not 2.

Also, could anyone help with the questions that do have 3 parts because BBC Bitesize did not help at all.

Thank youu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RebeccaGraham)
    Gah, I am so confused with factorising. I can do some of the basics but my workbook I have is totally annoying. :confused:

What I thought I did was 4(x+3y) but then I was like, wait that's not right because then that would mean 4 multiplied by 3y is 6y and it's not -.- Gah, sorry if I'm not explaning this right I'm just totally confused by the whole thing. But the answer in the end of this was 2(2x+3y). How do I get to this point please?

Could anyone give me some help on HOW to factorise. I've tried BBC Bitesize but they were using quadratic equations which have 3 parts to 'em not 2.

Also, could anyone help with the questions that do have 3 parts because BBC Bitesize did not help at all.

Thank youu
    Common factor of 2? Try to pull the 2 out.

ReputationRep:

Thank youu
    The only thing that goes into 4x and 6y is 2, so 4x+6y = 2(2x + 3y)

ReputationRep:
    Take out the common factor first.

In most cases, such as 4x+3x, the common factor is x.

But the common factor in your question, is 2.

So take out the 2, put it outside the bracket: 2(2x + 3y). Multiply 2x and 3y by 2 and you get : 4x + 6y.

If the question was: 12x + 8y, the highest common factor (the highest number that goes into both of them) is 4.

So the answer would be 4(3x + 2y). Because 4x 3x = 12x and 4x 2y = 8y.

ReputationRep:
    OMGOSH thank you so much.

It's been so long since I've done this and I completely forgot it all D:

<3 <3 You's are awesome !
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Rebecca, can you tell me what workbook you are using as factorising is only tested in Higher Tier exams and you are studying for Foundation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Rebecca, can you tell me what workbook you are using as factorising is only tested in Higher Tier exams and you are studying for Foundation?
    Hi could you please empty some of your private messages? I get this error when trying to send a message: Mr M has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.

Sorry for posting here- couldnt find another way.

Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by lionking)
    Hi could you please empty some of your private messages? I get this error when trying to send a message: Mr M has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.

Sorry for posting here- couldnt find another way.

Thanks
    Yup will do. This happens a lot to me. You would think I would learn!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Omg seriously? :eek:

I'm using the Collins Grade C Booster Workbook; New GCSE Maths Edexcel Modular.
    I know I'm doing AQA but I'm only using it to see what I can and can't do so I know what to revise.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Omg seriously? :eek:

I'm using the Collins Grade C Booster Workbook; New GCSE Maths Edexcel Modular.
    I know I'm doing AQA but I'm only using it to see what I can and can't do so I know what to revise.
    People who write these workbooks rush them out and don't always check them carefully against the specifications.

It doesn't matter that you are doing AQA and are using an Edexcel book as all GCSE mathematics tests the same content at either Tier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    People who write these workbooks rush them out and don't always check them carefully against the specifications.

It doesn't matter that you are doing AQA and are using an Edexcel book as all GCSE mathematics tests the same content at either Tier.
    Ahh. Well that's comforting news :L
    What do you suggest I buy then ? :o:

&& Ahh I see, that's okay then :yep:

ReputationRep:
    x = \dfrac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Extricated)
    x = \dfrac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}
    The quadratic formula does not appear on the Foundation GCSE exams either so is of no use to Rebecca.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    The quadratic formula does not appear on the Foundation GCSE exams either so is of no use to Rebecca.
    I'm glad you said that 'cause I had no clue about that equation :L

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 30, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.