Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What does creation reveal about God as craftsman? watch

ReputationRep:
    God is seen as a craftsman creating humanity in His image and of course creating the universe out of nothing (creatio ex nihilo) but it seems His craftsmanship is pretty shoddy, especially in the case of humans. Take for example, the knee and back. Over time it deteriorates and becomes fragile. Feel free to discuss.

What else does creation reveal about God as craftsman?

ReputationRep:
    Yes of course, because if everything was perfect and flawless there would be a point to life.

ReputationRep:
    The creation of the earth reveals that God doesnt exist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kulpio)
    The creation of the earth reveals that God doesnt exist
    How so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasman)
    Yes of course, because if everything was perfect and flawless there would be a point to life.
    Aren't there other reasons for life? i.e. God made us and gave us a chance to live it with free will (to an extent). For your other point, God is supposed to be divine and perfect, why are there flaws in His creation. We only associate mistakes with 'human' craftsman; how can that apply to God. He's not exactly on the same level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suicidaloverbusiness)
    How so?
    Because the bible says god made earth in 7 days etc... And that cannot be

ReputationRep:
    He's a swag designer and lazy if he wasn't teeth wouldn't decay.

ReputationRep:
    Wonder why it was 7 days :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Imperfect design indeed, if we are all designed in his "image" he probably won't attract godesses very well with his ostioperosis, false teeth, wigs, incontinence and sexual dysfunction.

ReputationRep:
    God is seen as a craftsman creating humanity in His image and of course creating the universe out of nothing (creatio ex nihilo) but it seems His craftsmanship is pretty shoddy, especially in the case of humans. Take for example, the knee and back. Over time it deteriorates and becomes fragile. Feel free to discuss.

Or maybe you could choose not to pre-empt the question and deduce that God wasn't intending to make perfect backs and knees?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bilco)
    Wonder why it was 7 days :confused:
    I dunno... it is funny how it was perfectly 7 days ( a week) ... I didnt know 2000 years ago, they had a perfect calendar sussed out... (Maybe they did and im being ignorant xD)

ReputationRep:
    Why can't it be? Both Genesis 1 and 2 aren't based on craftsmanship, the first is creation through the power of word and the second is deemed to be much more physical i.e. adam from dust etc etc. Why is it so impossible to believe that a divine being like God cannot create the universe (not just the earth) within 7 days? After all, on the 7th day, He did take a rest from all that hard work.

ReputationRep:
    Why can't it be? Both Genesis 1 and 2 aren't based on craftsmanship, the first is creation through the power of word and the second is deemed to be much more physical i.e. adam from dust etc etc. Why is it so impossible to believe that a divine being like God cannot create the universe (not just the earth) within 7 days? After all, on the 7th day, He did take a rest from all that hard work.
    Well I do Geology, so it would be so hypocritical to say that God exists (I dont believe it anyway )

God took a rest? More like the bloke who wrote the book, good job creating the worlds most participated hoax xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calumcalum)
    Or maybe you could choose not to pre-empt the question and deduce that God wasn't intending to make perfect backs and knees?
    Every craftsman has the aim of making something perfect. I'm sure they wouldn't forgo a handle on a door because they deemed it unecessary. :rolleyes: Why would God choose to make humanity with so many defects? Was he feeling lazy at that point? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Well I do Geology, so it would be so hypocritical to say that God exists (I dont believe it anyway )

God took a rest? More like the bloke who wrote the book, good job creating the worlds most participated hoax xD
    Well, I agree to an extent because the genesis could always be a myth as both differ in ideas and were written at different periods until conjoined at a later date.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno... it is funny how it was perfectly 7 days ( a week) ... I didnt know 2000 years ago, they had a perfect calendar sussed out... (Maybe they did and im being ignorant xD)
    hmmm difficult to say. History of the 7 day week goes back to 6 BC. Then again god created the world in 6 days and rested on the 7th.....guess the union kicked up a fuss :p:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

When you design and build an entire universe and create fully funtional humans that can think freely and create themselves you can complain

Untill then shut up

ReputationRep:
    He did a pretty crappy job on those tectonic plates. Said he'd have everything done in a week and then buggers off leaving us with earthquakes and whatnot. Cowboy builder that God fella.

ReputationRep:
    7day week goes back to 6BC? I thought alot of crap happened before 'jesus was born on the date 0'

And what about those egyptians from like 3000bc xD? There is so much evidence against the 7 day creation of earth now it is unreal, but its not worth telling people who dont know it because their minds are already set and it would be like telling a billion people that santa doesnt exist all over again...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Necro Defain)
    Imperfect design indeed, if we are all designed in his "image" he probably won't attract godesses very well with his ostioperosis, false teeth, wigs, incontinence and sexual dysfunction.
    But his 'image' might be different to what God actually looks like. You can interpret an individual's image as anything. For example, the colour black may appeal to one person, whereas another could completely detest it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.