Turn on thread page Beta

What does creation reveal about God as craftsman? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suicidaloverbusiness)
    Every craftsman has the aim of making something perfect. I'm sure they wouldn't forgo a handle on a door because they deemed it unecessary. :rolleyes: Why would God choose to make humanity with so many defects? Was he feeling lazy at that point? :confused:
    They aim to make it perfect insofar as one particular perfection fulfills God's purpose. If God's purpose wasn't to make the best backs or knees, why should they be perfect?

ReputationRep:
    God made spam.

God=evil.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    When you design and build an entire universe and create fully funtional humans that can think freely and create themselves you can complain

Untill then shut up
    Pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Wisdom teeth. Our jaws are too small for all our teeth.

Childbirth: A babies head is too big to comfortably come out of a vagina. Hence all the pain and complications with childbirth.

Spines: Our spines were designed for us to walk around on all fours. Now we're upright, large percentages of the population end up with back pain and hunchbacks later on in life.

Eyes: Our eyes are wired in backwards. Means we have an uneccesary blind-spot in our vision.

Yeah, all in all I'd say God is a pretty shoddy craftsman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    When you design and build an entire universe and create fully funtional humans that can think freely and create themselves you can complain

When I have some useful input, i'll contribute to your thread. Untill then i'll shut up
    (fixed that for you)

Oh and the emboldened bit doesn't make sense. :p:

ReputationRep:
    God is seen as a craftsman creating humanity in His image and of course creating the universe out of nothing (creatio ex nihilo) but it seems His craftsmanship is pretty shoddy, especially in the case of humans. Take for example, the knee and back. Over time it deteriorates and becomes fragile. Feel free to discuss.

What else does creation reveal about God as craftsman?
    What are you comparing with?
    Something you have created?

Through time, man's best engineers have tried to imitate the design displayed in nature.

Sure they can make parts out of metal instead of bone/cartilage but those machines cannot self-repair, adjust to varying loads and re-produce like human bodies can

The God I believe in also says have makes the natural body with a use-by date so that we should seek him not think we are immortal independent from him. (Romans 8:20)

The new body is really gonna be something!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (fixed that for you)

Oh and the emboldened bit doesn't make sense. :p:
    Oh noes I made a minor grammar mistake.

Think freely and create things themselves.

Point still stands go create something like a human until then shut up and stop criticising unless you can do better.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If you went to saville row and saw a top tailor, to make you a suit, and he told you he was the best suit maker in Europe, and you should tell all your friends about him.... and then when you finally got your suit, it was made of worn out material, with small holes in, and when it got wet it started to come apart... you'd be pretty pissed right, even to the extent you'd probably start believing either he's a really really bad tailor, or he's not actually a tailor at all. Why does an 'all powerful' God, do such a bad job, and still get credit why are there so many rookie mistakes? volcano's, hurricanes, tsunai's tectonic plates that move and cause earthquakes, viruses and diseases, deforimites, creatures needing to eat 'other creatures of god' to survive etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DirtyRotten)
    Wisdom teeth. Our jaws are too small for all our teeth.

Childbirth: A babies head is too big to comfortably come out of a vagina. Hence all the pain and complications with childbirth.

Spines: Our spines were designed for us to walk around on all fours. Now we're upright, large percentages of the population end up with back pain and hunchbacks later on in life.

Eyes: Our eyes are wired in backwards. Means we have an uneccesary blind-spot in our vision.

Yeah, all in all I'd say God is a pretty shoddy craftsman.
    Good points other than the one i've emboldened. In Genesis 3 God said that he'd bring pain to Eve when childearing because she ate from the tree of knowledge. I can't think of arguments to contradict your other notions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Oh noes I made a minor grammar mistake.

Think freely and create things themselves.

Point still stands go create something like a human until then shut up and stop criticising unless you can do better.:rolleyes:
    Oh right ok. Well, i'm a human and God has given me free will. I've been given permission to think freely so i'm allowed to criticise. :p: Unless you're a diety above God, then I think it's safe to ignore your remark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kulpio)
    I dunno... it is funny how it was perfectly 7 days ( a week) ... I didnt know 2000 years ago, they had a perfect calendar sussed out... (Maybe they did and im being ignorant xD)
    Where do you think the concept of a week comes from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    What are you comparing with?
    Something you have created?

Through time, man's best engineers have tried to imitate the design displayed in nature.

Sure they can make parts out of metal instead of bone/cartilage but those machines cannot self-repair, adjust to varying loads and re-produce like human bodies can

The God I believe in also says have makes the natural body with a use-by date so that we should seek him not think we are immortal independent from him. (Romans 8:20)

The new body is really gonna be something!
    Oh hell no. Of course i'm not comparing it with something i've made. I was just wondering why God made humanity with so many imperfections. We make the assumption that God is perfect and all-knowing, so why does his craftsmanship seem so inferior in comparison to his capabilities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    Where do you think the concept of a week comes from?
    I dont know But much later / after the bible was written

ReputationRep:
    You could ask the questions. What is perfection? Is perfection really perfection? Perfection in the eyes of a human being is completely different to perfection in the eyes of God? Can a human being understand what perfection really is? Nobody can answer those questions so perfection is entirely subjective to each of us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calumcalum)
    They aim to make it perfect insofar as one particular perfection fulfills God's purpose. If God's purpose wasn't to make the best backs or knees, why should they be perfect?
    Because God is supposed to be perfect. Does that not mean that we should be perfect too. Seems logical to me.

ReputationRep:
    Because God is supposed to be perfect. Does that not mean that we should be perfect too. Seems logical to me.
    Theres a difference between imperfection though, and down right dangerous and unsafe!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarsi)
    You could ask the questions. What is perfection? Is perfection really perfection? Perfection in the eyes of a human being is completely different to perfection in the eyes of God? Can a human being understand what perfection really is? Nobody can answer those questions so perfection is entirely subjective to each of us.
    Well God is perfect, right? Therefore, we are apparently God's 'perfect' image of humanity as he has the competence to make us perfect, which could presume that this is perfection in his eye. However, the definition of perfect is: the state of being without a flaw or defect/ broadly, a state of completeness and flawlessness.

Humans certainly have flaws and defects like a previous poster stated. I don't think this is perfection (even in God's eye). I'm sure our definition of pefection is conclusive via thorough analysis and reasoning. Even if this definition isn't entirely definitive, it would at the very least come close to perfection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masterglen3)
    Theres a difference between imperfection though, and down right dangerous and unsafe!!
    Sorry, I don't mean to sound apathetic but what do you mean.

ReputationRep:
    '7 days' in the Bible doesn't necessarily refer to 24 hour days.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Genesis-days.html
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaymee)
    '7 days' in the Bible doesn't necessarily refer to 24 hour days.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Genesis-days.html
    :facepalm:
    Ohhhhh. I've never thought of it in that context.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.