Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've now started my second year of uni and have come to the realisation that if I don't do something like this soon I may never get the chance.
    Me and my buddy plan on going to Bangcock for 2 weeks then on to Australia for a further 5 followed by NZ for 3 weeks.

Can anyone who's been to these places give me any general suggestions/advice. In Australia I plan to get the greyhound bus pass from Melbourne to Cairns which gives me unlimited stops. Then in NZ I'm going to rent a campervan (it's surprisingly cheap, only £240 for 3 weeks). Overall I plan on spending £2,500, I reckon this is pretty realistic.

Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I travelled around the East coast of Australia a couple of years ago: started in Sydney, flew down to Melbourne, up to Cairns, Gold Coast, Brisbane and back to Sydney.

Melbourne was a definite favourite: its a really great city, but watching the Grand Prix there scored it extra points which you can obviously only do if you plan to go in February. Sydney, was also good. You can walk over the top of the Harbour Bridge which you should definitely do. Bondii Beach is a waste of time, don't even bother. I wasn't too impressed with Cairns, it just reminded me of a town near home, but its nice enough I guess and Brisbane I suppose is a must for the Great Barrier Reef but again, the city itself didn't make that much of an impression.

The best thing to do is speak to people who work in the hostels or wherever you're staying as they'll have loads of local information and know what'll really make a memorable trip for young travellers.

ReputationRep:
    Bangcock LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idiot-Finder)
    Bangcock LOL
    This is why I clicked onto this thread, too. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you edit the title... Erm, why don't you do this after university when you have more time? You don't have very long in each place... Or indeed at the start of the summer holidays when you have 4-5 months ahead of you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrospect)
    This is why I clicked onto this thread, too. :rofl:
    me too!

ReputationRep:
    haha sorry for that poor spelling mistake, it's been a long week. At least it's getting me more clicks .
    Thanks for the reply JDI, I'm planning on spending quite a bit of time in Melbourne as I've got an old friend who lives there.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think you want bangcock,

Bangkok is what youre looking for lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    I suggest you edit the title... Erm, why don't you do this after university when you have more time? You don't have very long in each place... Or indeed at the start of the summer holidays when you have 4-5 months ahead of you.
    I would go for the whole summer holidays but I don't think it would be possible on my budget.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexwithacentaur)
    I would go for the whole summer holidays but I don't think it would be possible on my budget.
    Then save more money. Around 1/3 of your budget will go on flights alone, you get far more bang for your buck the longer you stay out there.

ReputationRep:
    Things are expensive once you've worked it all out. Singles to Oz are (cheapest) £400, add on a bit for NZ and then double it for a return and there's nearly a grand gone already. Living in Oz is expensive - food and stuff. Your going to be spending a bit on fuel in NZ anyway, then you've got to consider accommodation in Oz. Expect to pay about £10-£15 for a hostel, per night, and about £10 per night in Thailand.

So before you consider travel insurance, visas, injections, food etc, Ive already spent -

£1000 on flights
    £300 on accomodation in Oz
    £140 on accomdation in Thailand.
    £140 on van hire.

I make that to be..... £1580, which leaves you with £920 left. Owch.

If you want to do that area of the world, wait til you've finished uni and take a gap year or 2. Get a working visa and support yourself on the way round - average salary in Oz is about £45k in UK money because living is so expensive. Its much better to earn money out there than try and save before hand.

ReputationRep:
    Beer costs a ******** in Oz.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to all three.

Bangkok - lots to do, great food, cheap accommodation, temples, historic buildings, street markets, loads of bars, chances to have a go at Muay Thai.

Australia - depends which bits you want to go to. If you go by bus then you're limiting yourself on places to go - if you hire a car and camp (which you can very cheaply) then you get a lot more freedom; you can go where you want when you want. You can go to a lot more places, and be more spontaneous. If you're only going down the east coast then I'd recommend Cape Tribulation, Cairns & the Great Barrier Reef, the Whitsundays islands, Noosa Heads, Fraser Island, Byron Bay and Sydney. Port Macquarie is worth a visit as well (nice beach, and has a koala sanctuary you can visit.)
    In Sydney there's tons to do - the Opera House & Harbour Bridge of course, but also the National Botanic Gardens & Mrs Macquarie's Chair, the National Maritime Museum, Sydney Aquarium, the Art Gallery of NSW, Chinatown, Bondi & Manly beaches, Sydney Fish Market, and lots more.
    If you want to go other places aside from the east coast, then I have other suggestions; if you had a car then I'd suggest Kakadu and Litchfield National Parks, in the Northern Territory, because they're amazing. I think you can get buses to both places from Darwin, but then you'd find it difficult to explore much within them. Melbourne is lovely, and if you drive from there to Adelaide then you go on the Great Ocean Road, which is really beautiful. Lake Eyre is nearish to Adelaide too. The Uluru - Kata Tjuta National Park is a must as well of course. Although I haven't been to Western Australia, I've heard that Perth, Kalgoorlie, Broome and the Bungle Bungles are all good places to visit, and there's some amazing beaches all the way up the coast.

New Zealand - tons of places to see and things to do. Loads of adventure sports available on both islands; the big cities of Auckland and Wellington; the town of Christchurch (though that was damaged by the recent earthquake); Rotorua with its geysers, bubbling mud pools, hot springs, Zorbing, Maori culture and interesting museum; the Art Deco towns of Napier and Gisborne; Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers; ****ord Sound & the rest of Fiordland; diving at the Poor Knights Islands; the lovely Coromandel Peninsula; kayaking trips along the coast of Abel Tasman National Park; the Mount Tongariro Crossing (trekking along the crater of an active volcano); surfing at Raglan; the beautiful and isolated East Cape and the Te Uwerera National Park; the student town of Dunedin; and the Catlins Forest Park.

Tbh, if I were you I'd just wait until you have more time and money, and make a year or more out of it. Maybe even turn it into a RTW trip, and get a Working Visa to earn a bit more cash in Oz (I'd recommend with the latter that you either hired or bought a car too, to make it into a big road trip; it's such a great experience, more so than if you were just taking buses.)

I don't know why people have been saying it's expensive in Australia, btw. Sure it's more so than Bangkok, but when I was there last year it was certainly cheaper than here in Britain.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.