Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gildartz)
    Well you're making way too many generalisations based on that one sentence.

Of course I'd rather enjoy both, that would be the ideal situation.

I never said that those 5 years don't matter and I'd rather be depressed. All I'm saying is that if it means going to a uni which may not be 'enjoyable' for 5 years, it would be preferential to being forced to do another course for 3/4 years, falling in love with the uni but then going on to loath the career afterwards.
    but then i'm not saying you should loathe your career. you arent making a piont.
    you are merely repeating that five years of your life isnt important in your choices.

Also, you seem to be misunderstanding what I meant by 'enjoy'. I was simply referring to the uni itself, i.e. the facilities, accomodation, campus etc. I didn't mention the students there, the course, etc. which could make the experience enjoyable as a whole even if you don't particularly like the uni. These are all factors which cannot be predicted even if you do go on the open day and one must actually be at the uni for at least a few months to determine whether they will actually 'enjoy' it there. So in a sense, it's difficult to know whether you will enjoy it and so one may be 'throwing 5 years away' as you suggest even if they 'enjoy' the uni itself.
    this is preposterous. anyone with any sense can work out what they like, and whether being at a particular university will satisfy those needs.

i suspect that what you mean is that at some brief moment in your life you chose to believe that medicine alone was more important than taking the time and developing the self knowledge to decide what other things you wanted as well as the medicine course.

ReputationRep:
    note that i am not arguing for open days, i am arguing convincingly for choosing a medschool to suit you.

i'd rarely been to an open day pre application, but i made sure i damn well explored and decided on the place best suited to me and where i was going to spend five years of my life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    but then i'm not saying you should loathe your career. you arent making a piont.
    you are merely repeating that five years of your life isnt important in your choices.

i auapect that what you are trying to say is that you didnt look at what you wanted becos you thought doing medicine alone was more important than taking the time to choose they way you live five years of your life the way you choose whilst doing medicine.

this is preposterous. anyone with any sense can work out what they like, and whether being at a particular university will satisfy those needs.
    You seem to be suggesting that not enjoying your uni is due to a lack of reseach on the applicant's part. This is yet another generalisation. Logically, an applicant will apply to the unis which they stand the best chance at and as I argued, you can't truly say that you will enjoy a particular uni unless if you actually experience studying there yourself for a while.

So you suggest that one is able to predict the future and tell whether they will get along with the other students in their year? Since this will most certainly play a major part in whether someone enjoys their experience at uni or not.

ReputationRep:
    macca, if you cant work out what you want out of university life then you probably havent worked out what your ideal job is yet, trust me.
    because student life directly correlates with you knowing what your ideal job is, doesn't it?? and no i don't think i'll trust you because I've gotten better advice by doctors and other uni graduates

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be suggesting that not enjoying your uni is due to a lack of reseach on the applicant's part.
    of course!

This is yet another generalisation. Logically, an applicant will apply to the unis which they stand the best chance at and as I argued, you can't truly say that you will enjoy a particular uni unless if you actually experience studying there yourself for a while.
    err, yes you can.

So you suggest that one is able to predict the future and tell whether they will get along with the other students in their year? .
    Gypsy Rose Gizmo i aint, fortunately i would need to if i did my research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasman)
    because student life directly correlates with you knowing what your ideal job is, doesn't it??
    since that statement has nothing to do with what i've said, we'll read that as making no sense, and pass till you form a better reply.

ReputationRep:
    of course!

err, yes you can.

Gypsy Rose Gizmo i aint, fortunately i would need to if i did my research.
    Thought you'd come up with a better argument, at least provide some reasons/evidence or something, macca :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thought you'd come up with a better argument, at least provide some reasons/evidence or something, macca :p:
    its amusing indeed that you want evidence that people should look for what they want. few people move into a new place without checking they have all the facilities that cater for their lifestyle, people who do are either desperate or incompetent. but dont tell me you are wanting evidence for that.

ReputationRep:
    its amusing indeed that you want evidence that people should look for what they want. few people move into a new place without checking they have all the facilities that cater for their lifestyle, people who do are either desperate or incompetent. but dont tell me you are wanting evidence for that.
    what facilities are you talking about? the proximity of a ballet school to the medical course? who cares? anywhere you go to study medicine, there will be things within walking distance that cover your lifestyle, the only possible exception being stockton campus durham. I am applying for probably the most competitive course you can go for, while finishing a PhD and working full time as a teaching assistant. I don't have the time or the money to get the train to newcastle to have a jolly around and see if they have a 50m swimming pool. IF I get in, I'll almost certainly have my needs met as I'm a flexible intelligent person able to create my own fun. If someone really is going to say "oh boo hoo I hate living up north, this is ruining my degree, I can't cope" then perhaps they should choose a less stressful profession because god knows what they'll do when they get bundled off to staffs PCT as an F1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisismycatch22)
    what facilities are you talking about? the proximity of a ballet school to the medical course? who cares?
    no, therefore that part of your post means nothing. good start.

anywhere you go to study medicine, there will be things within walking distance that cover your lifestyle, the only possible exception being stockton campus durham.
    thats an idiots response. clearly all med schools are served by different cities, sites and circumstances. perhaps you are trying to say that some locations share some facilities. But they dont share some too. Perhaps you think there are hill and mountains (which you get within slingshot of durham, i would add) in cambridge, but its your imagination, i assure you. So please stick with reality.

I am applying for probably the most competitive course you can go for, while finishing a PhD and working full time as a teaching assistant. I don't have the time or the money to get the train to newcastle to have a jolly around and see if they have a 50m swimming pool. IF I get in, I'll almost certainly have my needs met as I'm a flexible intelligent person able to create my own fun. If someone really is going to say "oh boo hoo I hate living up north, this is ruining my degree, I can't cope" then perhaps they should choose a less stressful profession because god knows what they'll do when they get bundled off to staffs PCT as an F1.
    once you've stopped talking about yourself, please reply to the argument.

ReputationRep:
    no, therefore that part of your post means nothing. good start.
    I'm waiting.

thats an idiots response. clearly all med schools are served by different cities, sites and circumstances. perhaps you are trying to say that some locations share some facilities. But they dont share some too. Perhaps you think there are hill and mountains (which you get within slingshot of durham, i would add) in cambridge, but its your imagination, i assure you. So please stick with reality.
    Ah, so you're talking about facilities like hills and mountains. So someone should choose a medical school based on whether they can get to hills and mountains or a lackers pitch within 30 mins rather than 2 hours? Really? Perhaps they should reconsider their priorities if a hobby takes precedence over a career.

once you've stopped talking about yourself, please reply to the argument.
    The point is that people may have perfectly valid reasons for valuing the course over the place. If you're not flexible enough to change some hobbies in exchange for a course you like better...

ReputationRep:
    It also seems like a pretty privileged kind of idea, that people have enough freedom just to pick and choose whatever medical school they like based on a hobby. Some people have to work ****ing hard 24/7 to even have a chance at a shot at any medical school, and would have to tailor their application such that only a few are realistic options. The idea that they should not value their career over a hobby that they may have to change or even give up is one that comes from someone in a position that can afford to make that choice. For some it's not a choice at all; especially now, when entry in 2012 or 2013 may be unaffordable compared to 2011.

ReputationRep:
    well, maybe not evidence then, but at least some reasons to strengthen your currently weak argument. You failed to address my point that one cannot predict how the people in their year will turn out like, which is a major factor in deciding whether you will enjoy your time or not. As I said before, you seem to think that 'enjoying your university' and 'enjoy your university experience in general' are the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm waiting.
    you're waiting for yourself to make a good start to your posts? yes, i agree, you still seem to be waiting. get a move on, macca.

Ah, so you're talking about facilities like hills and mountains. So someone should choose a medical school based on whether they can get to hills and mountains or a lackers pitch within 30 mins rather than 2 hours? Really? Perhaps they should reconsider their priorities if a hobby takes precedence over a career.
    perhaps you should consider that other people arent you. i dont know why you'd ignore the fact that they want different things from you.

The point is that people may have perfectly valid reasons for valuing the course over the place. If you're not flexible enough to change some hobbies in exchange for a course you like better...
    you do go on, but for instancem had i gone to ucl i'd ave dropped out by now due to the spiralling costs of london.

now that is just one reason, and there are many of them for many different people, who are reading this thread right now, so you might want to stop this line of thought when almost your entire audience think the opposite. Maybe even try for a bit more empathy, instead of deciding that everyone else must fit your narrow point of view and circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    well, maybe not evidence then, but at least some reasons to strengthen your currently weak argument..
    people tend to pick where they study to suit their needs, and not any random blarney. Not sure why you'd want reasons for this....its becos they prefer it, you know.

ReputationRep:
    now that is just one reason, and there are many of them for many different people, who are reading this thread right now, so you might want to stop this line of thought when almost your entire audience think the opposite.
    well almost my entire army of imaginary friends agrees with me and disagrees with your imaginary army of people that don't

Maybe even try for a bit more empathy, instead of deciding that everyone else must fit your narrow point of view and circumstances.
    excuse me? you were the one going on about unspecified "facilities" and deriding people arguing that the course could sometimes come first. this is the first time you've mentioned affordability. probably because i called you on acting like a privileged twit and you decided to change tack from arguing in defence of people who like climbing mountains better than studying medicine.

ReputationRep:
    THe only medical open day i attended was St George's... even then I didnt stick around and a second year medic mate took me round herself, and showed me what the uni was actually like.
    The first time I saw Leicester and Queen Mary was at my interview! I saw King's at the university of london open day, but that was a general open day and lasted about 10mins!
    To be honest i wasnt fussed, as long as i got into medical school that was fine... yes and i do know people who would say you gonna spend the next 5 years there so choose carefully.. BUT I chose where my application would succeed, more than where I loved (e.g. I loved imperial but didnt apply there)

ReputationRep:
    people tend to pick where they study to suit their needs, and not any random blarney. Not sure why you'd want reasons for this....its becos they prefer it, you know.
    Well as I said, the facilities and such (which can be researched as you said) do not solely determine how enjoyable the university experience is. It's much more than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my_username_rocks)
    I'm considering applying to Newcastle/Durham for Medicine, but seeing as I live about 5 hours away it hasn't really been at option to go to the open days they hold. If i applied and got an interview it would obviously be a different story because that would be the only way to get an offer at the end of the day, but seeing as a big part of their interview is why u want to study at newcastle i dnaaa what the **** i'd say :L i did well in the ukcat got 760 average and thats how they shortlist people for interview which tbh plays a big factor as i would be happy wherever i go really, but i can hardly give that as my reason lol. i don't know what i'd say if they asked me if i went to the open day either, anybody had this problem?? i really really want to be a doctor and i don't want to be tripped up son something like that :L any feedback from people who went to the open days?
    Since I live nearby I've been to their open days, student shadowing, bitesize unis etc..However first time I had been to Leeds or Manchester was on interview day. we can't all afford to go on open days! be honest if they ask you but say you have contacted newcastle students, read prospectus etc ( which you can do easily!). probably a good idea to check that you would like the course rather than just applying due to UKCAT but you won't be the only one. after all, I told all 3 places why I wanted to go there -just missed out where I'd most want to go!
    there are differences from course to course ( dissection, pbl v traditional etc) so you need to know you can cope wuth it ( or at least think you could). I couldn't manage at St Andrews but others will love it there

ReputationRep:
    well almost my entire army of imaginary friends agrees with me and disagrees with your imaginary army of people that don't
    you are being silly. the vast majority of people will have a good look at where they are going to live for 6 years. After all you yourself need to pick your UCAS choices, why would you deny that you prefer some to fill those four UCAS spots on your form over others? its pretty hypocritical.

excuse me? you were the one going on about unspecified "facilities"
    thought you would understand that different locations offer many facilities both shared and different. why dont you understand that either?
    you want me to list them, or can you understand they exist?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.