Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gildartz)
    Well as I said, the facilities and such (which can be researched as you said) do not solely determine how enjoyable the university experience is. It's much more than that.
    personally, i could have chosen ucl for instance. but sports teams play there sports ten miles or more from the university...so why pick a place where i need to pay for that when i can be at a place which has a ptich outside our halls?

why pay £140 a week of rent when i can pay £40?

you must agree that some these would be important factors for many in choice of uni.

YOu must agree that the increased possibility dropping out of your course due to unfeasible costs would be am important factor in their choice of uni, and that increased ease of using uni faciltie rather than a 20 mile all round trip is a good idea to consider.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    you are being silly. the vast majority of people will have a good look at where they are going to live for 6 years. After all you yourself need to pick your UCAS choices, why would you deny that you prefer some to fill those four UCAS spots on your form over others? its pretty hypocritical.
    well, you've shifted the goalposts so far that now you're just saying nothing at all. of course people will examine where they're going to live and pick four choices over others. of course i have. that's not the point. the point was that you started this thread by bleating at someone, outraged that they were driven enough to put medicine over facilities like having a convenient mountain nearby. did you really think they were gonna choose unis from throwing pins at a donkey, or is it more likely that they were just saying they valued things like ballet and horse riding less in comparison to getting on a course at all than you say they should

thought you would understand that different locations offer many facilities both shared and different. why dont you understand that either?
    you want me to list them, or can you understand they exist?
    why don't you get someone to read the rest of that paragraph to you and try again, then you might understand it

ReputationRep:
    personally, i could have chosen ucl for instance. but sports teams play there sports ten miles or more from the university...so why pick a place where i need to pay for that when i can be at a place which has a ptich outside our halls?

why pay £140 a week of rent when i can pay £40?

you must agree that some these would be important factors for many in choice of uni.

YOu must agree that the increased possibility dropping out of your course due to unfeasible costs would be am important factor in their choice of uni, and that increased ease of using uni faciltie rather than a 20 mile all round trip is a good idea to consider.
    I agree that those factors play a part and can be determined beforehand. However I'm just saying that they are not the only factors to consider and there are other factors which are as important as those you mentioned which cannot be determined unless if you actually study the course for a few months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melanie833)
    Have to admit, I think open days are a bit overrated. Everyone told me it was utterly essential, so I went to a few, and to be honest my opinion of the universities was pretty much the exact same at the end as the beginning. Yeah, I learned a bit about the courses, but nothing I couldn't learn from the prospectus or, at a push, emailing. Yeah, I saw what it looked like, but I already knew that from pictures online.

Yeah, it was nice seeing the places, and I'd recommend it if you have easy access, but in my opinion it would be a complete waste of money travelling to one at any great expense. I'd be pretty annoyed if I had because I didn't learn much at all.

I guess it depends on the person, if you have a lot of things to wonder about and a lot preferences regarding uni choice, then perhaps it's best you go to get your questions answered. But if you're like me and don't really want anything more of your university than a place to turn up and learn stuff you're not going to have any great revelations on an open day. Don't bother.
    Yeah especially if one goes to say 6 option days because they are undecided on a few that is just a waste of time / money. It is a good, valuable experience but you should not discount the possibility of applying just because you didnt go to the open day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisismycatch22)
    well, you've shifted the goalposts so far that now you're just saying nothing at all. of course people will examine where they're going to live and pick four choices over others. of course i have. that's not the point. the point was that you started this thread by bleating at someone, outraged that they were driven enough to put medicine over facilities like having a convenient mountain nearby. did you really think they were gonna choose unis from throwing pins at a donkey, or is it more likely that they were just saying they valued things like ballet and horse riding less in comparison to getting on a course at all than you say they should
    the only problem is that you dont want to admit that a cheaper facility is better than the same facility but different location.

if you arent going to admit that people do pick unis for access to facilities then perhaps you'd like to tell Jim the 'disabled in a wheelchair' engineering student to pick somewhere built on hills so that they cant get to lectures. perhaps he cant get to the ballet and horseriding lessons you seem hellbent on using as an example.

goodbye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gildartz)
    I agree that those factors play a part and can be determined beforehand. However I'm just saying that they are not the only factors to consider and there are other factors which are as important as those you mentioned which cannot be determined unless if you actually study the course for a few months.
    i completely concur, macca.

ReputationRep:
    i completely concur, macca.
    glad we agree then, macca

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.